broken exhaust bolts

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So both exhaust bolts on the left side of my muffler broke off. New bolts and new head. Cheap crap. I drilled them and tried a easy out but no go. What can I attach to the easy out to get leverage. I put liquid wrench on it too. If I don't get them out this weekend it goes back on and back to work till next weekend. any ideas. thank you

FredC

Village Idiot
I s this somewhere you can take a propane torch to them. A couple heat cool cycles and your other methods should work.....

14368_300.jpg

Last edited:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Buy a product called kroil - it's like liquid wrench but x100, I have not had it fail me yet.

Kroil is expensive, $26 a can at sears, but worth it when liquid wrench fails.

If you have a cordless impact driver, you might try using that to turn the easy out, even if it doesn't have enough torque, the hammer action may help a bit.

Be careful anyway you go, once you bust an easy out in a stud - it's a trip to the machine shop in almost all cases.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
If its broke off even or below the head surface you'll have to drill and tap it, very carefully.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Both have some sticking out. I seen some extractor sets that I'm going to look for tomorrow. If the guy that put the heads on for me is in the shop this weekend he can tig weld a bolt to it.

FredC

Village Idiot
pick up a torch...works abosulte wonders on stuck exhaust components.............

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well I tried it without the torch this morning just to give it a go after using liquid wrench and the easy out snapped off. I put it back together with 2 gaskets on that side. Still a little loud. I will go down and get 2 more on Monday and see if that seals it up a little more. How long will it take before damage my new valves? I hope to replace this motor soon with a 27 hp kohler.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i genuinely grind the stud even wit the hED....then take a pin prick( no not DAnny) and punch right in the center of the stud..
then take a 1/16 drill bit and drill a center hole first.....then go up to 1/8 bit..then gradually going larger till the right size tap will clean it out!
if you gonna heat it ...heat around the stud without heating the stud as that would cause the stud to expand........

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
should I look for a machine shop to tap them or go to the kohler dealer? I have never had good luck with this.

mahlonzehr

Weld a bolt into it. Most likely don't need to tig weld it. If you don't have a basic wire welder I'm sure you know somebody that does. I've had to do that on my engine before. Actually was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Doesn't have to be pretty, doesn't even have to be perfectly straight, just has to be strong. Then use heat and PB Blaster and apply pressure... Good luck.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
The guy that did the heads welds but the problem is getting him to do it. I have no choice but to run it for now.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Bob gave you the best way to handle it. Being centered and straight is important. I always start off drilling small hole then I keep drilling until its the largest possible. Use the biggest easy out you can. I also cut the end of easy out if needed to make it stronger. If you have room a good tap handle is ideal. Pliers are an uneven torque and sure break for easy out. If this scares you take it to a machine shop and have them do it.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well I took 3 exhaust gaskets on that side bolted up the support and it sealed it up. No one wants to touch it with the head on the engine. I just paid to have it put on a month ago. I think I will run it for now and try on a weekend when I have time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom