Browning on viscose rayon rug

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Cellulosic browning occurring on customers rug whenever liquid is spilt.
We have spot cleaned - acidic rinsed - and dried quickly but same problem.

Is sodium bisulfite or hyd peroxide a possible fix?
Is there anything we can treat the rug with to prevent a recurrence.

roro

Name
Nate W.
Gas can and a lighter...

We also use the sodium bisulfite to correct or minimize the browning.. Tell them to buy a better quality of fiber...:lol:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have had some limited success by wetting out the area with a tannin spotter and grooming with a brush. The more aggressive you get, the worse it will look.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Is it cleaned on location or in plant?
Does the browning go away and returns when dry (wicking)?

Some time cleaning it and laying it to dry upside down, causes the browning to wick as usual , but since it is turned it will migrate to the underside.
Using peroxide on rayon or any other very strong chemical is the rug cleaner's equivalent of Russian roulette. Watch the Deer Hunter :winky:

And as you know, when wet rayon weakens.

I am sure some company invented a legendary (phoenix like) protector that prevents all of that and much more, at just double the value of the rug. Just secure your territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lint Basket

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Thanks Nate & Ron - I will do a little testing with both.
Ofer - don't think this is a candidate for reverse drying as could then have pile crush problem to resolve
Nate - don't think she will ever buy a rayon again.

roro

roro

Name
Ross Craig
I had an answer based on a viscose fiber rug before I realized you hand't specified. What kind of rug?
According to label 100% viscose - made in India - hand tufted enclosed pic of full rug , backing and heaviest stain. Think staining is accentuated by fibre distortion as intensity changes dramatically depending on view angle.
Wendy full rug.JPG
Wendy - back.JPG
Wendy - heaviest stain.JPG

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Viscose should only be dry cleaned IMO. Any moisture on these rugs will brown or yellow. IF you have to use moisture to spot clean them, you have to brush all the fibers the same way or they look like crap. We decline to clean these types of rugs now. Designers recommend these rugs to clients, usually not that expensive, but because of the look and feel they sell. They are such shit. First one we ever cleaned had this issue. The guy paid $100 for it. Easy fix for us. Gave him $50 and told him to buy a Poly rug that would last 20x longer. Or a Wool Rug that will last 80x longer.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
The distortion or color Hue change based on which direction its viewed from is a natural characteristic of viscose.
When using sodium meta-bisulfate to correct the browning of the face fiber it can trigger the latex to cause browning on those types of rugs if the latex get too wet.
As for the staining it looks like pet/urine stains. I'd Pre-spray it with CTI last step or urine pretreatment and flush it really well.-- but I'd first - inform the customer of all the problems with such a rug and that she should have lowed expectations and get a signed waiver.

Reactions: Willy P

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
FPA
Once the client pays the fee- (Full Proctology Advised).

Butt Mike does not want me to sound bitter. So- Full proctology advised, sweetheart :winky:

Reactions: Ron K

steve_64

KIMG0347.jpg
Viscose should only be dry cleaned IMO. Any moisture on these rugs will brown or yellow. IF you have to use moisture to spot clean them, you have to brush all the fibers the same way or they look like crap. We decline to clean these types of rugs now. Designers recommend these rugs to clients, usually not that expensive, but because of the look and feel they sell. They are such shit. First one we ever cleaned had this issue. The guy paid $100 for it. Easy fix for us. Gave him $50 and told him to buy a Poly rug that would last 20x longer. Or a Wool Rug that will last 80x longer.
Not sure if it's because of the wool in it but the care instructions say not to dry clean.

I've wet cleaned it a couple times. First time it yellowed a lot. Second time I finished drying it face down. Looked a lot better.
KIMG0347.jpg
KIMG0350.jpg

Reactions: WillS

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Sorry I meant dry clean as only using a compound like HOST or Brushpro crap. With barley any moisture - barely wetting w a pre spray. How we have done it in the past, even when a client says I don't care what happens to it I'll just get another one is... we spray over it once w pump sprayer. Spot treat any stains w one direct spray. As soon as we spray w the pump sprayer, HOST goes immediately down and it's agitated. Only way we have not had them yellow. Then after vacuuming (all in one direction so fibers dry the same) we then take a broom and brush them again in the same direction.

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
OK, two "browning issues here. First is the rayon itself, which can be handled with an overall thorough cleaning and speed drying. The second and more difficult is the adhesive residue that wicks up from the foundation. This happens with all cotton tufted rugs and can be removed with some small difficulty by using solvent. Adhesive wicking is much worse with rayon, and more difficult to remove.

The tufted rugs may be cheap, but many rayon rugs are sold at almost silk prices. Buyer beware.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Adding to what The Great Oz has stated;

I have had much success with multiple applications of H2O2 on these crappy rugs.

As you have stated, drying face down helps the cellulosic browning to dry up to the fibres at the BASE, instead of the tips.

Other problems:
The glue that attaches the siding to the rug base, can be affected by moisture, causing the glue to "bubble", this can also happen to the base that is attached to the latex, especially on Chinese Acrylics.
The latex itself, over time & in hotter climates, can become unstable and break down. Indications are tiny wisps of latex blowing across the floor.
When entering a residence on a hot day, a rubber (latex) odor / odour may be noticed, this can be another indicator of the latex breaking down.

Most ANY liquid that is applied to this fabric can cause cellulosic browning, it's a natural characteristic of this fibre / fiber.

At least this is what I have found down under in the tropics.

:yoda:

Reactions: WillS

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
OK, two "browning issues here. First is the rayon itself, which can be handled with an overall thorough cleaning and speed drying. The second and more difficult is the adhesive residue that wicks up from the foundation. This happens with all cotton tufted rugs and can be removed with some small difficulty by using solvent. Adhesive wicking is much worse with rayon, and more difficult to remove.

The tufted rugs may be cheap, but many rayon rugs are sold at almost silk prices. Buyer beware.
$79,500 in one case. 20 ft by 24. The owner is still in denial. Thinks it's silk.

Mrice

Name
Mat
I've had success with several light applications of heavy peroxide on several occasions.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Here's a new version of missing leading the buyer:
Screenshot_2017-04-15-09-44-30.png

I had to inform the owner that Texture doesn't mean fiber; his rug is viscose.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Manufacturers don't lie.

Maybe bend the truth a little bit to those that may be gullible.

I don't know about in India, but in Australia, TEXTURE is defined as: the feel, appearance, or consistency of a surface or a substance.

Texture IS NOT a fiber.

Let the buyer beware.

:yoda:

Reactions: Harry Myers

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
One of our more prestigious flooring retailers has a 9x12 rug hanging on their wall. Asking $6000 for it. The sign below it says "man made silk".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom