bulletin board salesman

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
got a lot damn balls to show up and to solicit for sales in the clean room but not buy an add in the swapmeat room.

You KNOW who you are, right Taf?
Your not even a supporting member??/

at least Cobby contributes more than just sales solicitation for his products

..L.T.A.

Reactions: SamIam

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"Did he advertise in spanish too?"

Dough no.

I know there's plenty distributor/suppliers (or affiliates of) here.
Guys like Scott Warrington, Jim Pemberton, Larry Cobb, John Olson, Greenie, Scoot Rendell, Bill Yeadon, Steve Toburen, etc.

All have something to sell us and all contribute more than just a sales pitch like I've noticed from Taf.

...L.T.A.

G

I see nothing wrong with what Taf did. I think it would be great for others to do the same.

Dave

harryhides

Name
Tony
Dave Rampage said:
I see nothing wrong with what Taf did. I think it would be great for others to do the same.

Dave

So Dave then what be the point of having the Swap Meet room? Why should Cobb pay or contribute here while Taf gets a free ride?
I don't understand your logic.

Ed Hartman

"Manufacturers and suppliers are welcome to participate as well." The front page doesn't say he has to "buy" space to participate on the board. He has not "technically" broken the rules. You said they could join the clean room and so they took you up on it. It might not be politically correctness but can't see why you bust all them balls he has.

Ricky Thurman

was Taf trying to sell something? absolutely! BUT...in his defense, I don't think he should have to pay $50 for an ad in the swapmeat that says "we have green Trashed" Larry runs sales exclusive to Mikeys board in the swapmeat. Taf didn't say anything about a sale or how much it is etc, he was just letting us know that Magic Wand has a green product available (while using the ICS article to scare us into buying it). bottom line...I don't think it was enough of a sales pitch for the swapmeat.

Jimbo

Hey Larry...we all talk about what we are proud of! I've seen you holding some gorgeous salmon...and hanging out with some ladies with a lot of class...I know you are proud of everything you do...and rightly so.

Mr Tafman worked VERY hard to get his product approved...he's a proud Dad when it comes to his stuff he sells...and when you get to know him...you will never know a more laid back salesman of his stuff...he'll still help you even if you are using someone else's juice...he's the real thing Larry...and he's just proud of his stuff.

I'd like to see a few more guys post here like Taf...do you think anyone from HydraMonster...or the Karcher family with ProChem...or the Hanks boys will ever show up here? I hope so...don't run them off before they get here.

We are on the same team. Jim

Brian L

Name
Brian L
When you go pushing your products on a commercial free bb it is a big turn-off. People don't like to see this.

Ed Hartman

This board is not a commercial marketplace. No advertising messages, press releases or other marketing efforts are allowed. Thats rule #4 on the ICS board. So one would classify it as commercial free. There are no such rules or postings on this board.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Like a lot of the salesmen they like to come on board and be one of the boyz.....then they push that friendship.....as far as you LET them.

Mikey P

Administrator
Well, in defense of Taf (who should take out an ad in the swapmeat) he did pay for a banner ad ($100) that got taken down after two weeks.

Bob Foster

I think that it is out of line for our spirit of no censorship to not allow suppliers to contribute on any section. We have sincere people including Taf that are helpful. The more we know about products from everyone the better off we all are.

But I have an idea. Perhaps we could ask members who might have a commercial interest to speak not only of a brand product but also a generic name for their recommendations.

The suppliers commercial interest is obvious but what about carpet cleaner’s commercial interests. Are they not served as well or better by everyone on all sides contributing?

Fon Johnson

I'll certainly not point any fingers, but on ALL bulletin boards there are those who give very generously of their knowledge to help others. There are also those who come here to give, but most of the giving leads to a link, mentioning, etc. to their products.

It is a fine line that takes quite a balancing act. The two people (and there are many others) that come immediately to mind regarding selfless giving are Scooter and Scott Warington. They both have, or represent a company who has, something to sell. They both rarely ever "push" their products. People like this garner much more respect, and probably "sell" more due to their non-pushy self promotion. I can see why people become agitated with those who know everything, and always have the solution to all problems.. for a price.

Bob Foster

This is a great thread. I'll bet it will go a long way to setting the culture we want on this board. This discussion has likely influenced all contributors in a positive way.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I agree with Fon, show me by your posts that you really know your stuff, that you are honerable and trustworthy and you will have my interest. Tell me repeatedly that you have stuff for sale and you're no different than a hundred other salesmen with similar products to sell.

Ed Hartman

I agree with that Tony. Having said that Rev Meat knows not all church members are going to put money into the offering plate :wink:

Fon Johnson

Ya know what, Bob? This bb is a completely different animal from anything else around. If self promoters want to get mad and take their toys and go home, then so be it. Look around. We have some of the brightest minds of the industry FREELY giving of their time, knowledge, and resources. This bb has the potential to truly change lives. If we loose carnival barker salesmen along the way, is that a real loss?

Keep in mind I am not pointing fingers. I try not to get to "politically" involved. If the shoe seems to fit, then maybe you need to step out of the box and look at yourself.

With that said, this bb has about 1% of the "self hyping" that is seen on others.

G

I agree with Jim Eckman completely. Over the past 4 years I've gotten to know Taf pretty well and he is the real deal! He is one of the nicest guys I've met in the industry.

He has gone out of his way on more than a few times to help me where there was a cost to his company but no profit for him in it. That doesn't happen with other companies. He also gives his time at Summerfests and Winterfests............

To me its one thing like a few years ago when Ken Hairass was patrolling the boards.....where if you posted about glides he responded and then sent you 5 emails or "free" samples in the mail. Its another thing for Taf to offer his products to help solve a problem for someone or to help them in their business. The beauty is if you dont' want to read his post you can scroll on by.....(like some on here!) Anyway, to me its a moot point I wouldn't even want to argue. I respect Taf too much!

Bob Foster

Fon your right. Look at how many years I have been in the carpet cleaning business. I have a lot to gain and I definitely see the difference from the other boards (which I also find useful). Even if I have not been in this business for years I hope my 2bits brings some value and humor to this board. I would love to be able to help some of the many people in this industry and on this and other boards who continue to support me by sharing their wisdom.

Like I said this thread has got to have influenced people, suppliers in particular, about how the rest of us want to recieve them.

Fon Johnson

Bob, I hope you are right. I hope that people who need to learn, learn what they need. You have such a great resource right here. Learn quickly as you can what is worthy of your attention, and what junk to filter out. If you do this, and follow the right people (so to speak) you will go far, fast. If I'd had this resource when I started my business, I have no doubt that I would be a multi-millionaire today.

Everyone has something useful to contribute if they reach deep within and share (well, except for maybe that Jimmy Ludwig guy.. :p ).

Wait, I take that back, jimmy makes me laugh.. 8)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
To me it should be more of helping others with "how to do it" and less about what I have sell.

I don't know Taf, but he sounds like a good guy, I've read his articles in the trades.

I would much rather see distributors or manufacturers get their message across by sharing their knowledge, as they do, they will form relationships that may eventually lead to sales.

My 2-cents :roll:

G

My apologies

When I have too much Grey Goose, I get a little woozy and start saying crazy things. Also, please don't mistake me as a salesperson. I am enthusiastic about a product I made and want the entire world to know about. It took me 2 years and $23,700 (and still adding up), 3 chemist and a lot of environmental work. Now it is approved by the Carpet and Rug Institute. It has Oxygen and Citrus, so most the stains come out from your pre-spray alone. That saves my customers labor, which is their biggest cost. Besides that is is 1:64 dilution. As far as my work at Magic Wand Co. goes, I want to improve the lives of my customer and have them learn from the mistakes I made (I mostly do technical support for the company). I don't even know how to take orders.
Yes, I should cut back on the Grey Goose. At $30 a bottle it is too expensive any way, it should have a 1:96 dilution like the Oxy-Blaster. Maybe I'll start drinking Trashed, it has alcohol in it.
Plus, I didn't even know about the give away board part. Will check it out this weekend.
:shock:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Everybody learned how to advertise on the sly from that slick salesman
Ricky and his lapdogs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom