Burnisher?

Name
Evets
Is it completely necessary to use a burnisher?
I don't own one (yet) and have gotten great results with the no-burnish wax products.

I don't do alot of VCT floors,but I am getting alot of calls about it lately. Considering buying one.

Can someone tell me the biggest benefit to having one?
How many coats of wax do you need to put down if you use one?

CleanFreak.com

Supportive Member
Name
CleanFreak.com
The biggest benefit for the customer is having really shiny floors, and giving a very professional appearance.

The biggest benefit for you is to set up a maintenance plan, and come in every 4 to 6 weeks (depending on the amount of traffic) to come in and burnish the floor to bring the shine back out.

You should really put down at least 4 coats, but it really depends on the type of finish you use. The same goes for the amount of shine you get from your product, and how often you'll need to burnish.

For example, our Optimal Wet Look Floor Finish requires at least 4 coats for VCT floors, and must be burnished once a month to maintain it's high shine.

Fon Johnson

There is really too much to cover here, but in a nutshell:

Yes, you need a burnisher if you want to do VCT work. The REAL money in VCT is in
the maintenance. Sure, you can make a fat check stripping, but you can make $100
per hour or more buffing. That is pretty much pure labor. My margins on VCT maintenance
are MUCH nicer than any other service. 8) If you want to maintain them on a regular basis, you need to burnish. The only other viable options are low speed buffing, or scrub and recoating.
Those are to labor intensive to make good profit. We usually keep between 3 and 6 coats of
finish on the floor. That depends on what finish you use. We have floors that have gone
several years without stripping. That allows us to spend our time doing the more profitable
work: buffing. Let me know if you want more help.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
just so you are aware.. if you decide to buff. you have to use buffable wax.. the no buff wax's are very resistant to the effects of buffing.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have a burnisher and no maintenance plans. What everyone else said.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
C&S said:
you have to use buffable wax..

Can you elaborate?? I didn't know there was difference. Manufacture names, product line names.. what to specifically look for that indicates the difference between the two?

Is there a big price difference?

Thanks for the info

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
wax is an old term the indusry still uses. now days they are called finishes and finishes come in different polymer structures and percentages of solids. manufactures make different finishes for different applications, such as maintanence shedules or absence of maintance. they also make different finishes for applications such as bathrooms and cafeterias. take for example - JohnsonDiversey Plaza Plus Sealer/Finish is used on terrazzo, quarry, tile, brick, slate, unglazed ceramic and Mexican tile. you would not use this on vct as it would not only be a very high solid but it would raise you cost on the job most likely making it not very profitable. plaza will look great without burnishing but if you do burnish with a true uhs buffer your customer will see the floor at its best. i mostly use a johnsons premia, doesnt cost alot (about 70 a five gall) levels awsome like and scrubbs very well , when needed. when you go to burnish it, the floor just pops!

yes a burnisher is needed - to make more money. maintenance is where you will make your easiet money when it comes to vct and other waxable flooring.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Thanks for the explanation Dealtime.. next dumb question.. what's a uhs buffer? high speed buffer?

A little off the subject, there aren't any more Hard surface, Tile & Grout, Commercial Floor care classes being offered... is there a training DVD that you or anyone can recommend?

Thanks
Bill

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
some waxes that are not buffable have a harder finish to them.. the buffable waxes are slightly softer.. and wax per say is not wax anymore its thermoplastic.. buffers create friction and thus on a microscopic level remelts the thermoplastic to the floor and smooths it out.. buffing also removes haze due to poor cleaning habits and residues left over from the cleaning crew.. i always sweep mop and then buff.. i also use floor restorer when i need to.. it puts the new shine look back on the floor....

i use Scots tuff 24% solids wax.. and i use a 2000rpm buffer.

CleanFreak.com

Supportive Member
Name
CleanFreak.com
WJMorgan3 said:
Thanks for the explanation Dealtime.. next dumb question.. what's a uhs buffer? high speed buffer?

A little off the subject, there aren't any more Hard surface, Tile & Grout, Commercial Floor care classes being offered... is there a training DVD that you or anyone can recommend?

Thanks
Bill

uhs buffer = ultra high speed buffer - also known as a ultra high speed burnisher

This is defined by the pad speed. The lowest rpm I have seen for a burnisher is 1,000 rpm. Most common are 1,500 or 2,000 rpm.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
What size burnisher are you looking for? I have a 27" propoane in like new shape I'd be willing to part with...

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Get a burnisher, if you get a contract from a maintenace company your neeed one. W take care of a few office depots and we burnish the floors every week. Go for a propane one. Or you be dragging around a 100 ft. $70.oo extension cord cussing cause it keeps getting hung up on shit.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Charles Anhalt

Supportive Member
Name
Charles Ronald Anhalt
I recently finished a vct floor using Diversey Premia (awesome stuff). My question is; which pad will work best using a 1500 rpm burnisher? Thanks for any help!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
With premia from sealed air, a hogs hair will work great. Just keep it moving and don't slow down too much.

There will be no need to follow with a white pad on the premia finish.

Wait at least a couple of days before burnishing.

Reactions: Charles Anhalt

Charles Anhalt

Supportive Member
Name
Charles Ronald Anhalt
Thanks guys! I have a couple of hog's hair pads that don't get used because of causing swirl marks. This is my first time working with Premia, so I will try them again. Anyone know the percent of solids for Premia?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Make sure your pads are virgin pads(never touched anything but the box.)

New floor = new pads- no exceptions. Most floor pads are not designed equal, no matter what your supplier tells you.

Use 3m or 3m lessor cost alternative(not made as well and don't last as long) niagra

For 3m we use the 3200 or 3300 depending on scenario and goal and for niagra 3300n can be used almost anywhere and is a one time use per side pad.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
there are several types of hogs hair also the light one least aggress darker ones more aggressive

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I have a burnished for sale...it is a Powerflite. I can't remember what the RPMs are but it's a good one, only used it a few times so it's pretty near brand new. I paid $1000 for it but just want to get it out of my garage. So if anyone wants a pic or is interested let me know, I will take best offer.
I believe it is a 20 inch....

mmarkovic

I have a burnished for sale...it is a Powerflite. I can't remember what the RPMs are but it's a good one, only used it a few times so it's pretty near brand new. I paid $1000 for it but just want to get it out of my garage. So if anyone wants a pic or is interested let me know, I will take best offer.
I believe it is a 20 inch....
The easy way to see the difference between a floor scrubber and a burnisher is if the wheels touch the ground when the pad spins. A burnisher doesn't float side to side like a floor machine does (that's why some call them side by sides that only go 175 RPM or 300 rpm) the other is that the motor on a burnisher is often offset from the center of the spinning pad having a belt or gear to transfer spin to the pad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom