By the Room Vs. By the Square Foot

Do you charge by the room or by the square foot?

• By Room

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By the Square Foot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Residential by the room (up to a max of 300sq ft). Commercial by the square foot. All based on the time & materials. I need a both button.

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
Right now I am charging by the room. $45.00 per room with a maximum room size of 300 sq. ft. Commercial jobs I charge by the square foot. I am leaning towards charging residential customers by the sf. I think I need to make the change but fear keeps me caught up in doing it the way that I'm used to.

GRHeacock

I only charged by the sq ft, because there were too many variables, in my opinion, to charge by the room.

Open areas only? Move everything? Lots of spills, stains? Real easy to clean?

I charged more for hard work and less for easy work.

Seemed right for me.

Gary

G

Residential - By the room, anything over 250 sqf is counted as two rooms. Stairs on $2-$3 bucks a step, depending on how bad they are. If the steps are bigger than average the price can double or even quadruple depending on the size.

Commercial - I charge by the square footage.

Name
Ron lippold
money

We have made a big investment I feel it's only fair to charge by the sq ft we need to get paid. Just learn to decrease the knowledge deficit. .35-45 per sq ft so far.

G

They are both the same exact "profit margin per hr''.. if you do it right.
It doesnt matter if I bid 45.00 per room.. or X amount per sq ft..

they should be equal once you have the experience and can do it.

and if they are equal.. why in the world would you want to be out bidding.. when you can be working..
Afterall,, we make money by being on the jobsite.. not talking about it.
True or False?

I'm referring to Owner/OPs too.. and residential work.

Its totally FALSE that you make more charging PSF.. You just read that on the forum. .by someone that charges PSF.. and retyped it or believed the hype.

In my opinion.. if you're an o/o..and charging psf.. STUPID.
Thats right.. I said STUPID.. and heres why.

If you're out bidding.. you're actually cleaning "less jobs'' per week. If they are the same rate in the end.... and they ARE ,, then at the end of the week.. you've done lessjobs.. which equates to less money. Right or wrong. So you're losing money.. and thats STUPID.

Re read that until you get IT...

Every psf guy.. has a room rate.. and every room rate guy like myself also has a PSF rate.. (its all a little division and multiplication)..

So thats even moreso why its paramount that you get them to be equal.
Ya either get IT or ya don't.

They're exactly the same. Its just how we relate our PER HOUR charge to the customer.

A

anspach

by the sqft...

but have been considering charging by the square inch

G

I charge by the square foot.

Dobs, I'll bet I do one or 2 actual quotes a week. And 90% of the time those are big tile & grout cleaning and sealing jobs. If I'm going to charge them $500 plus, I don't mind spending 15 minutes giving a quote.

My opinion is that the square foot thing sets me apart because I measure what i"m going to clean. Custy likes that, that I don't measure whole room or charge the same for a room I'm in 10 minutes vs. one I'm in for an hour. This also gives me 5 minutes or so to look at the job, figure what I'll charge, and a lot of times visit with my customers.

If I had multi trucks I'd probably go by the room because I wouldn't trust a tech to measure. But for me I think square foot is best.

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
per square foot here

It is the only way that is fair. 100 sq ft in a million dollar house is the same as a hundred sq ft in a trailer.

To me per room charges are like taxes (take that how you will)

I trust my techs to do simple math. It is not that hard to figure.

Tony

I have 2 rooms to be cleaned, i call and you tell me $45 per room and what is included ect. You show up and my dog has peed all over the 10 yr old white carpets that have not been cleaned in 5 yrs and I have a sectional that needs to be moved that is bolted together. Mmmm you say pee not included, extra charge, Carpets extra soiled from not being cleaned extra charge, and oh I hav charge mor because I haf move that sectional. customer is now not happy because you quoted $90 to clean 2 rms and now it's $185. But you told me $90! All I want you to do is clean the darn carpets! Not a good way to do business because I am not happy and neither are you. We both loose!
I tell all potential clients that we have a minimum of $75 charge and after the inspection we'll give a written quote with all aspects of the cleaning noted on the work order. I go over the cleaning issues with client and remedies, give price and ask for the job. If they don't like the price, we can always do less area. $185 Mam, ok I'll be in the back if you need me she says. Simple and expected just like any other service industry does. The problem is most in this business could not make it operating like that because their work is sub-standard, their appearance is that of a convict that escaped, and the list goes on!
By the sq ft is the most professional in my opinion with a minimum service charge. Why would you want to go look at a $100 job for an estimate and then go back to clean or quote an over the phone price that may or may not give the result that the client expects.. No room for profit in either situations!

Dobs, Stupid rm cleaners don't understand that you can't give an accurate charge for work that has not been seen and time and materials figured. Just yesterday I cleaned a traffic areas in 2 bedrms and a living/dining rm combo. Should have only taken about 1 hr and 40 gallons of water for normal soil level. BUT it took 2 hrs, 150 gallons of rinse and 10 gallons of stock solution plus prespray and spotters. Would you want to do that for $130? Not me! Gas chems and labor would eat most of that bill. The total sq ft was 765. Oh and my charge, way more than $130 so you see we are not at the same rate are we? Please help me understand your logic.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
As for the example the cleaning artist gave is why I DON'T DO RES. WORK FOR JUST ANYONE!!!!!!

I am mostly com. and mostly strip and finish"wax for you hacks ha ha" and i do res for referrals or for those i know, don't openly market it to many IDIOTS out there..

but i charge by the room with a note,saying etc. that if i find out of the norm circumstances that i may charge more. everyone has been happy with that so far, and i have only had a small handful that i have had to tweak my price....

oh and i don't just say $45 or $35 per room...if its a bed room its $15(most times its right down the mid, master are more with a * cuz i have seen some m bed that are bigger then a family room... stairs are $35 same with fam and liv...granted i don't avg some of the dollars per hr you all do, but i have happy custys...

now after i get my new add-on for the ole beasty and the tweaks to the vac system "thanks to greenie, and more to come on this" when i hit the 2-4 hr dry time i will go up in price...cuz lordy was i stupid on how i cleaned before....but now i am getting to be a lean mean hot squirt-in cleaning machine

radkins

We charge by the room up to 200sf and then per sf. We have separate charges for wall to wall and traffic areas.

G

The Cleaning Artist said:
........ Should have only taken about 1 hr and 40 gallons of water for normal soil level. BUT it took 2 hrs, 150 gallons of rinse and 10 gallons of stock solution plus prespray and spotters. Would you want to do that for $130? Not me! Gas chems and labor would eat most of that bill. The total sq ft was 765.....

Did I read that right? 150 gallons to rinse? That's quite a bit for the 4 rooms! In 20 years I can't ever recall using that much for 4 rooms.

How long did that take to dry?

That's right, you read it correct. If you have ever read my posts, I use a lot of water and deliver results like no other!
I spoke with the client this morning and they said it was dry by the afternoon. He told me they walked on the carpets with socks and they didn't get wet or even damp. Said carpets looked like new. I will say that no traffic lanes was visible on a carpet that was 7 yrs old, a german shepard, and only been cleaned one time 6yrs ago. In other words, CLEAN!

brchudson

If you don't mind input from a (sorta) consumer.

The last time I had mine done, I called two cleaners. I asked the price because as a consumer I have been trained that I am supposed to ask that question.

CC1 answered the question with: $XX.XX per room (I don't remember that exact amount) and then said nothing else.

CC2 answered the questions with: The typical room runs about $XX.XX (about $10 per room higher than CC1), so that will be the minimum, but the size of the room as well as if there are any stubborn spots or areas that you want me to spend some additional time on I can give you a quote before I begin. I have an opening .....

I hired CC2

Whatever that is worth.

brchudson,
Spotting agents and the time it takes to remove them (spots) should be included with every carpet cleaning. After all, isn't one of the reasons to have the carpets cleaned is to remove the spots? I don't understand how one could clean a carpet without removing the spots. Any prespray and quality rinse will remove 99% of all the spots on the carpet. So with that said, most spotting is done on colored stains, grease or graphite stains, pet stains ect. Normal soiling, food and beverage stains will remove with the facial wash(hot water extraction).

Another analogy would be I'll work on your car for $25 per hour but I'll charge you $65 per hour to fix it. Think about it.

Sorry if I'm being abrupt.

markholt

I used to charge by the room but switched to by the square foot. I just had too many clients with 600 to 700 sf great rooms. I always wanted to call them two "areas" to justify a fair price.Now I measure and multiply and get a lot more for those rooms than before.

Mike Brummett

In my opinion.. if you're an o/o..and charging psf.. STUPID.
Thats right.. I said STUPID.. and heres why.

If you're out bidding.. you're actually cleaning "less jobs'' per week. If they are the same rate in the end.... and they ARE ,, then at the end of the week.. you've done lessjobs.. which equates to less money. Right or wrong. So you're losing money.. and thats STUPID.

Re read that until you get IT...

Every psf guy.. has a room rate.. and every room rate guy like myself also has a PSF rate.. (its all a little division and multiplication)..

Well, I guess that I am one of those stupid cleaners and furthermore I DO NOT have a "room rate", and I never will.

You have obviously decided, in advance, that you way is the only way, so it would be totally pointless to attempt to convince YOU otherwise.

That is all I have to say to YOU.

For everyone else:

Bottom line, Are you profitable and are your customers happy? That's all that matters. There is no single pricing formula that is right or wrong, it's about what WORKS FOR YOU.

I currently charge .35 - .45 cents. A l-o-n-g time ago I charged by the room. When I switched to s/f pricing I started being a LOT more profitable. That's MY experience.

I like doing in-home estimates, but some guy's don't. Just because you charge by the s/f, does not mean that you CANNOT quote over the phone and close the sale, either. I do it all the time and I am usually within $20 either way after I get there and measure.

The key is to qualify customers on the phone, ask the right questions, and get as much info as possible. Then you want to answer as many of THEIR questions as you can and be very forthcoming about your policies, procedures, etc. I am very clear about the fact that an over-the-phone price is a "guesstimate", not an estimate, and my price could be a little more after I get there and measure, or it could be a little less. Most everyone I talk with feels that this is fair and reasonable.
The fact is that price-only shoppers will NOT spend more than 5 minutes on the phone with you anyway. When I get that impatient vibe I just ask them "Are you looking for the cheapest deal you can get?" If they say "yes", I say "I can't help you there, but let me give you the names of some companies that can meet that goal for you."

What matters in business is happy customers and profit, but don't listen to me, I've only been doing it for 27 years. What the heck would I know!

MIKE

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
id love to get into this one but I'm to easy going , and to try to explain the how and why of my pricing would take to long . but i can say if you don't have happy custys that call you back and tell others about you and you don't have money in your pocket then you don't need to be a carpet cleaner

here,s another
have you ever done a persons home and when your asked for the bill
said "what do you(the custy) think is fair and let them make the price

i did this twice last year and got paid over 100 bucks more then i was going to charge on one and 70 bucks over on the second

I'm sure this is of no help to anyone but to me
it,s all about where you are and where you want to go and how to get there ...are you happy with a 200 a month payment on a tm from Daune or do you have to have the 800 a month nut for a v and be the biggest baddest boy on the block

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom