Calling all spot gurus

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG
Yesterday this spot appeared under my machine. There had been a brownish stained area (that I took to be Coke Cola) before, but very muted. We did this carpet twice before with DS2. Over a year's time the browned area resurfaced.

This time I used the 360i. I presprayed upstairs with Rotovac's carpet detergent, with a few ounces of Saiger's Cide for fragrance. Then I cleaned upstairs.

I came downstairs to find the Ranger had burped a bit of water/soap onto itself because of the suds. That happens because you have to suck up a bit of defoamer every so often or the APO chamber fills with bubbles.

Anyhow, this was right under one of the wheels, where it had run down. It was soaked.

I sucked it all up and rinsed with a hand tool. No change. I figured that if it was something that ran into the carpet, it would suck right back out. Nope!

I then cleaned the downstairs carpet, including the area around the spot. No change.

Before I left I used Bridgepoint's Pet Stain Remover on it (basically a strong peroxide with Hydrocide mixed in).

This morning it seems a bit lighter. My questions are:
1. Wth is this? A reagent reaction to something long buried?
2. Is it safe to repeat doses of the Pet Stain Remover, and should I rinse between applications? How about using heat?
3. What is it that I don't know here? I've heard of red spots appearing in reaction to Resolve, but green?

I need helpful advice.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I can't tell if it added the green or stripped color to turn green. ???

Is the green only the area that was burped up? Or is it only the area that had been previously spotted?

Had you not explained what went on my first response would be color loss from bowl cleaner, pesticides or fade creme. :headscratch:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
It turned green when the slops ran onto it, I think.

Saiger'sCide is green, but has yet to stain anything; I rule that out. I wondered if something brass or copper on the machine bled oxide, but if so I don't see what.

I think I raised an old ghost because of the saturation. So now, the question of treatment remains.

The other takeaway is that henceforth I remember to put the Ranger on a quilted pad and be more conscientious about defoamer.

Last edited:
Name
Nate W.
It could be a shift in PH.. I'd check the PH of it.. It's possible that Resolve did that.. We've seen green stains from it..

Basically the red looks to have left the carpet.. Blue and Yellow make Green, so Red isn't present.. Put the Red back and all is forgiven...:lol:

Next time use more hose and setup in a bathroom or kitchen, but outside is most preferred... I cringe when I see cleaners have Portables on carpets... The exhaust on most box extractors are pointed down on the carpet..

If you must setup over carpet, use a doormat or something to set your equipment on.. Dang Swappies I tell ya, stick to moppin the decks...:stir:

Sprinkle some crystal defoamer around on the carpet also.. Helps keep the suds down depending on what you use..

Reactions: Shorty

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It could be a shift in PH.. I'd check the PH of it.. It's possible that Resolve did that.. We've seen green stains from it..

Basically the red looks to have left the carpet.. Blue and Yellow make Green, so Red isn't present.. Put the Red back and all is forgiven...:lol:

Next time use more hose and setup in a bathroom or kitchen, but outside is most preferred... I cringe when I see cleaners have Portables on carpets... The exhaust on most box extractors are pointed down on the carpet..

If you must setup over carpet, use a doormat or something to set your equipment on.. Dang Swappies I tell ya, stick to moppin the decks...:stir:

Sprinkle some crystal defoamer around on the carpet also.. Helps keep the suds down depending on what you use..
This is why I use Procyon. Does not foam at all.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
New info from a text exchange:

"That's interesting. It could be reason 4. I believe that last summer I tried to get rid of the carpet stains on my own with woolite and possibly resolve. Then your guys did the cleaning and all was fine."

My elves used DS2 last year, which is mildly acidic. Friday I used Rotovac's house brand, which I presume to be alkaline.

There is no anger on her part, but I would be thrilled to learn all I can about fixing this. Larry Cobb, Jim Pemberton and even Chris Howell, do you have any magic that would help?

Lee, I hope to visit her in a week. If I do, perhaps I'll pull the carpet, thanks. Other than rinsing, I'm not sure what will correct the spot. It happens to be right where one steps out of the hallway and onto the livingroom floor. About three feet in, curse the luck.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It turned green when the slops ran onto it, I think.

Saiger'sCide is green, but has yet to stain anything; I rule that out. I wondered if something brass or copper on the machine bled oxide, but if so I don't see what.

I think I raised an old ghost because of the saturation. So now, the question of treatment remains.

The other takeaway is that henceforth I remember to put the Ranger on a quilted pad and be more conscientious about defoamer.

Pull the carpet back
Look at backing.

SamIam

Name
sam miller

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Appears to be a color loss. My guess (probable right on) no amount of spotter, heat or what ever you throw at it will change it. It's become lighter in color then it's original color.

I wouldn't waste anymore time on it.

Whip out the dye sticks. Color repair it (if your confident using dye sticks)

As Jeff Cross teaches…"you can always go darker but you can't go lighter".

Name
Lee Stockwell
Appears to be a color loss. My guess (probable right on) no amount of spotter, heat or what ever you throw at it will change it. It's become lighter in color then it's original color.

I wouldn't waste anymore time on it.

Whip out the dye sticks. Color repair it.

As Jeff Cross teaches…"you can always go darker but you can't go lighter".
You would be wrong (MY guess...probably right on)

:-)

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
The Rotovac Ranger has the Vaccum part piggybacked to a water cart. The exhaust is about three feet off the ground. What happens if foam builds up is the foam is entrained into the vacuum and blows out, hitting a handle and running down the side of the machine and over a front wheel. I suppose some is just blasted into the air , but enough runs down to make a wet spot (shaddup, Nate).
That's what happened. Yes, I suppose it would be concentrated, therefore more likely to provoke a reaction.

I'm thinking of trying some Avenge on it, but if no go then rinsing and trying some of Cobb's dye color remover judiciously. She knows it may result in a light spot.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I dont think it's you, it a reaction to something used, you just happened to be the guy cleaning the carpet and activated the problem.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Frank, I think those are footprints on the groomed carpet. But you are right, I only triggered a pre-existing issue. Still, I'd like to fix it if I can. I've patched carpet before but really do not want to do it (much less pay for it). If I can't correct this, I may have to just suggest she get someone. You know how you can tell about people, she is not trying to blame or con me. Just a nice person with a spot out in the open.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Capturesssssss.JPG

I am finding hard to believe that this stain was caused by the introduction of nothing but a watered down waste solution.

Any liquid from your waste tank that makes it to the carpet will only further dilute any chemical residues, and will not introduce any additional chemical in a high enough concentration to cause such a reaction.

I think that color changes like that are most likely from a strong chemical, or from some oddball source like ink, toner, paint, dye, stomach bile, and probably a combination of both.

There had been a brownish stained area (that I took to be Coke Cola) before, but very muted.

It's possible that the stain was already there but looked different due to the layer of dirty spotter residue, and you had the sh!t luck to park your machine right over it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom