Cameron's amazing diamond disks

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
This afternoon, fortified with BBQ, popcorn and great attitudes, the elves and I took time to "make and mend" equipment.

While three elves worked on an extractor and a 175, I unboxed an order of polishing disks from Cameron. Among them are some newfangled metal and diamond disks that he said would help me level some serious grooves on an upcoming stone floor job.

So I broke them in by training Samantha elf on a glass window that had a number of deep scratches in it. The sort of scratches that stop your fingernails. The sort that every sane person knows you cannot polish out.

Starting at 120 grit with the metal and using plenty of moisture, we worked up step by step into 5" (resin) stone polishing disks. By 1800 grit, we had a dull shine that we then polished with cerium oxide to full clarity.

Perfect job? No. It is a first attempt and there are a few spots where we didn't fully transition the grits. But the gouges are gone! The glass is as flat as we could hope and we saved a pane that should have been scrapped. I have cleaned showers with $2000 beveled glass panels that had similar deep scratches and believe me when I say I plan to hone this skill (hey Marty did you see that pun) until I can confidently offer to refinish those mankillers before they blow out.

Cameron, you told me that the disks were expensive but would be well worth it in the long run. Here's me trying to prove you right!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom