Can I succeed with a portable extractor?

G

[attachment=2:2hc9fd6c]From Van.jpg[/attachment:2hc9fd6c][attachment=1:2hc9fd6c]Down Hall.jpg[/attachment:2hc9fd6c]
[attachment=0:2hc9fd6c]Around counter.jpg[/attachment:2hc9fd6c]

A lot you know meAT!!

G

Couldn't figure out how to get more than 3 photos on last post

[attachment=2:3pt2v6kr]to wand.jpg[/attachment:3pt2v6kr][attachment=1:3pt2v6kr]To Much hose for job.jpg[/attachment:3pt2v6kr][attachment=0:3pt2v6kr]Too much hose to van.jpg[/attachment:3pt2v6kr]

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
dUUd, some manufactures say you can run 600ft of hose on a 45 blower.
Some manufactures call a 47 blower a "dual wand" machine

what kind of performance you get at the wand(s) is questionable

like running 200ft on a PORTY with no booster :roll:

..L.T.A.

TimP

Like I said before.....yeah I can run 200-250 ft on my CDS....doesn't mean I like to do it. If I can I pack up and move I do. Suction at 150 ft just 2" isn't up to snuff to me. I can only imagine the suction on a electric machine w/o a booster. I guess if you're running a tiny wand and don't need as much air flow....but then your production stinks. Like I said I'd rather move and get the most from my machine. Heat and vac....

Mr.V

I'm currently going from a TM guy to a porty guy.Talking to my previous customer base they don't care if i use a rag and a spray bottle as long as it's me doing the cleaning

sure i'm going after high security and high rise buildings i never even looked at with my
TM....why wouldn't I ?

I know several successful porty guys,,,,,yes it takes more time but the extremely lower overhead makes up for it imo

if all goes well i will be able to pay for a TM or at least a good chunk of it come next year

Mikey P

Administrator
Depends on your definition of "Success".

You'll work harder then a TM owner will. You'll use far more chemicals. Complete less jobs and you'll have to market yourself more then the guys who appear more "Professional" with their Big units.

You'll save money on gas and expensive TM maintenance but unless you can get a steady gig of Trump Tower types you'll always be jonesing for more power.

If you live in a high rise city you should talk to Willy Parson about how he gets his accounts.

If you're in a flat suburb keep a close eye on the TM classifieds on the Web, lots of repo units are available theses days.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Start out with a TM. Beg, borrow and steal to get one but don't expect to get a passion for this business without one. And, I mean a good one! Don't skimp too much. Research and get a good TM or struggle more than anyone should have to today.

Steve

Able 1

Name
Keith
17.5 posts (close maybe) a day thats pretty damn good must have his laptop on the road.

Keith

Name
John LaBarbera
Hi Mike,

In my opinion, Jim Martin nailed it. A good operator can get the carpets clean using a TM or a porty. A TM is faster but at a cost. A porty is some what slower, thus a cost. Many guys started out with a porty, little or no debt and built their business and can now afford a TM. (some are very expensive, but the guys who buy them feel it's a good investment, and reading their comments we can see their point of view)

I've often have ask myself the question when is enough, enough. How much power do you need to clean a carpet. The longer the hose run, multiple wands, the more power is needed.

To try and answer your question about cfm and suction (water lift) here's my thoughts. Use a water pump for example. Pressure like water lift is important, but if you have an extreme psi and no flow (cfm) you wont clean anything. Now if your pump has no pressure but only flow your cleaning is also limited. So it is better to have a balance of both than extreme on one end and a deficiency on the other. That being said, the more lift and the more CFM you can get in balance the better. Portys are limited for obvious reasons. There's only so much power in a wall plug, but they still can clean carpets. I hope this helps.

John

Mikey P

Administrator
Steve...

They dont call it Mikey's Board for nothing.

Last visited: 28 Sep 2008 04:08 pm
Total posts: 14373
[7.42% of all posts / 19.88 posts per day]

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
If I had the money that I invested in my porty set up I could've bought a truckmount. I had a dual 3 stage diamondback, attached to a 3ht propane heater run through across american vac booster to a rotovac after pile lifting the carpet with a certified pile lifter and I did alright I didn't realize I could spend more time marketing and boosting my income that easlity would have paid for a TM.

Then I got an Avenger 450 and I attached the 3ht to post heat and wooo I was doing better but not as well as I should then I bought the APEX now business is booming I have plenty of heat, pressure and great dry times referals come alot easier. If I was starting over I would buy the best machine I could in the $20,000 range and never look back. I am still kicking myself for not buyng Chavezs Prochem 850. If I had cut the learning curve I would have gotten a good tm right away.

You can do good business with a porty but it isn't worth it

Mikey P said:
Steve...

They dont call it Mikey's Board for nothing.

Last visited: 28 Sep 2008 04:08 pm
Total posts: 14373
[7.42% of all posts / 19.88 posts per day]

So you would make up about 99% of the posts at *** and ICS....combined. Lol

jeff powell

What mikey said. Buy a used t/m don't waste your time with a portable your clients will expect more. If you walk up to the door dragging a portable the client will know they called the wrong company. The client can go rent a portable from a home or rental store, will it get the Carpet "clean", depends on what you think clean is.

Jeff Powell

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
the whole point of coming to this board is to learn something. If you haven't learned that you should get a TM then you are not reading enough posts.

I wish there was a board like this when I started. I learned the screwed up way. Although maybe I appreciate what I have more now? Who knows.

Bottom line
A TM pays for itself (if you are serious) and a porty makes YOU pay for it.

Mack Justice

Name
Mack Justice
jeff powell said:
What mikey said. Buy a used t/m don't waste your time with a portable your clients will expect more. If you walk up to the door dragging a portable the client will know they called the wrong company. The client can go rent a portable from a home or rental store, will it get the Carpet "clean", depends on what you think clean is.

Jeff Powell

The client can also go rent pressure washers, lawn equipment and painting equipment from rental places yet thousands of companies are busy doing those jobs for homeowners so I don't think that argument holds much water.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
they can't rent those things at the grocery store.

Most people do their own lawn, paint etc etc to be a professional you need training, proper cleaning agents and professional equipment

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The client can also go rent pressure washers, lawn equipment and painting equipment from rental places yet thousands of companies are busy doing those jobs for homeowners so I don't think that argument holds much water.

Neither do most portables, 12-16 gallons max?
:roll:

Back
Top Bottom