Can Mold be removed with Ozone ?

harryhides

Name
Tony
You have got to view this guy's 2 video clips !!

He must be the kind of Marketing whiz that Cork could learn a lot from.
From the look of his web-site and references to the EPA and IAQA etc he MUST be the real deal, right ?

I bet none of you are so advanced that you employ the "lick the wall test" for mold remediation.
This guy deserves to be of Waldo's top 25 list for sure.

http://www.actionozone.com/

i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CG1cpjx7XAi]

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
No, mold can not be removed with Ozone, (I am suddenly thinking of the movie Envy with Ben Stiller and Jack Black,.... vapooorize). I would imagine high concentrations will "kill" it, but you are probably not killing it all, and you are certainly not removing it, and that's the goal for any mold abatement, find and fix the cause, contain, remove.

This guy is a lawsuit waiting to happen - wow is all I can say.

No containment - no air scrubbers - no moisture readings on the inner wood members. . .

And no clue that whether a spore is dormant, hyphal, or "dead" - they can all cause allergic reaction.

On this page on his website; http://www.actionozone.com/Lab%20Test.htm it says after our treatment test results came back with zero live mold content. Yet he shows none of the results, likely because the spore count is still off the charts and it's been widespread to unaffected areas.

People like this guy should be shot - sorry.

Most folks do not have insurance that covers mold, and it's a major expense that in most cases comes from long term savings, the kids college fund, 401k, etc.

It says he does flood resty work too - probably has a low cost high efficiency way to save everything in a cat 3 loss too. . . .

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Most of the adjusters I have met would love him. Think of the savings! Let's say that ozone killed all the mold. The dead mold is still toxic. It’s like killing all of the bacteria in a rancid piece of meat by cooking it.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Hey, this guy may be an "ATM" guy with the girls.......probably the reason he didn't get sick from licking the wall.

(If you don't know what ATM is, you'll have to watch "Eastbound and Down" on HBO to get the real meaning! Danny McBride as "Kenny Powers")

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
You breathe million of mold spores per day. Whats your point Harv? Just like when people get freaked out about blood. Over hyped just like mold. Harv when your clubbin baby seals and blood gets splattered on your Carhart do you wash them with bleach? Obviously the guy is slow you can tell by his Kanadian accent. Hows the carpet cleaning business going? Did you steal back your old customer base that you sold to that poor fella? Remember if biz gets slow you can always pull a insurance scam and burn down the building like you did a few years back. Is the Baby Seal clubbin harvest over yet? How many did you throttle this year?

Golden Boy

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

I would not be so sure of myself. EPA’s statement on Ozone was written in 2005. There has been some interesting findings since then. See http://www.cleanzonesystems.com/ Read the GUARANTEE. Do you not think that they would have been sued out of business since 2006 (my understand when they began) making statements like that?

I'm not saying that I'm sold on it, I'm just saying that scientific findings develop as science and new machines do. In addition to flooring/moisture/mold Inspections, I am also a certified home Inspector. These people have 2 HUGE home Inspectors Associations (the only 2 large ones) endorsing that it works. Probably with many more members than IICRC registrants.

No, I’m not going to take the time to prove it to myself whom I agree with. I just know that I’m not making blind statements because I was “told so”.

Sincerely,
Dale

Al

I didn't make a blind statement, I saw an asshole lick the wall in the video

steve g

Name
steve garrett
holy crap where to start. first off this guys appearance should preclude anyone from taking him seriously. shirt hanging out this guy is basically a bubba. next it appears to me they used air movers to dry the wall cavity when it was wet. that is a really big no no because blowing it just spreads it all through the house. so if the house only had mold in that area its everywhere now. so he spread mold all over the place. next the holes are right above the base board, this should be avoided because its just about impossible to sand and float those with them being that close to the base, you don't have any room to float them out. I like how he uses his finger to say the insulation is dry back there. you know there is a probe for that!!!!! :roll:

next you don't kill mold per say, imagine those sharp burs that grow in the grass, the kind with tiny sharp points around them, they stick to your socks or will poke your feet. this is the best way to think of a mold spore. if your poured bleach on it would it kill it?? would it stop if from being pockey?? hell no. although I do think that if you used straight bleach it will actually digest the mold spores. but it takes really high concentrations so high you better wear something that supplies air to your lungs.

actually at this point the mold there is the most dangerous because its dry and can be blown around, would a seal and paint job over that mold keep it from being a danger, probably but thats not how is supposed to be handled. plus I am sure the wall is just as bad if not worse on the inside, and depending on the air flow in there could continue to spread spores. cut the freaking wall out and get it out of there, its just drywall. I do agree mold is overhyped. but that doesn't mean to treat it like a bubba.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
ozone is not even the point, forget ozone, would ozone kill a sharp burr that is out in the grass?? killing it is not the point. the spore is still there!!!! let me put it like this if I was that guy I would remove and delete that video, because he is actually liable for remediation of the entire home.

harryhides

Name
Tony
You can certainly tell who in this thread has the slightest understanding of Marketing or Mold remediation and who is a halfwit.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Dale said:
Hi guys:

I would not be so sure of myself. EPA’s statement on Ozone was written in 2005. There has been some interesting findings since then. See http://www.cleanzonesystems.com/ Read the GUARANTEE. Do you not think that they would have been sued out of business since 2006 (my understand when they began) making statements like that?

I'm not saying that I'm sold on it, I'm just saying that scientific findings develop as science and new machines do. In addition to flooring/moisture/mold Inspections, I am also a certified home Inspector. These people have 2 HUGE home Inspectors Associations (the only 2 large ones) endorsing that it works. Probably with many more members than IICRC registrants.

No, I’m not going to take the time to prove it to myself whom I agree with. I just know that I’m not making blind statements because I was “told so”.

Sincerely,
Dale

Dale - I highly suggest you take some advanced microbial classes if you want to shake that stick - "In addition to flooring/moisture/mold Inspections".

It's not what anyone was told, it's not about the IICRC vs. the EPA - it's fact;

People that are prone to reaction from active or hyphal spores, can have reaction to "dead" spores. Why? Because many types and subtypes of fungus and mold spores - still contain the mycotoxins, dormant, hyphal, or dead. To what degree of reaction, and what long term affects to that person is the risk taken. Mold is not like a virus - where typically if its alive we get sick, if it's dead, typically we won't.

To address your comment "These people have 2 HUGE home Inspectors Associations (the only 2 large ones) endorsing that it works. Probably with many more members than IICRC registrants. "

Wow - are you really going to dumb it down to that level, my gang is bigger than yours so we must be right? And exactly what expertise in mold abatement protocol do home inspectors have?

Just so happens I have a B.A.E. behind my name from Penn State, Structural emphasis, graduate with highest honors, and am willing to make a gentleman's bet of your choice, could pass your inspections certification testing tomorrow less even opening a text. Not beating on my chest, just letting you know - I know your industry inside and out, and the weak inspectors out there HIGHLY out number the good ones. Show me one inspection firm that does not have the - you can't sue us for what we've missed clause. YET if an amount of micro organism of select types, that would barely cover this sentence, were left in the volume of one 20x40 room in a structure, clearance would not be achieved - get my point?

If you are here to learn, I can appreciate and applaud that, and I'm sure most of the members here appreciate that as do I, however you might try doing so without bashing the professionals that are in it knee deep daily, have the very specific certifications, training, and experience behind their avatars, nor the institutions that provide the training and education in this industry.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
After reading this line:

I bet none of you are so advanced that you employ the "lick the wall test" for mold remediation.

I decided against watching an escaped clown from Barnum & Bailey's circus.

BLEACH !!!!!!!!!!

Apart from bleaching the color from the mold spores and throwing them into panic/reproduction stage, I seriously doubt that bleach will do anything to mold spores.

Try acetic acid first, (vinegar) to kill the spores, then bleach them away.

Yes, I am aware that there are many other retail products on the market that one may use that can be purchsed from any number of cleaning stores.

One may wish to talk with a mycologist for further information on mold eradication techniques.

Shorty. shiteatinggrin

PS::: OZONE !!!!!!!!!!! O.M.G. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

Well, what about that!

The point is, let's not be too sure of ourselves, period. Whoever we get our information from may be changing there minds soon. That’s one thing we can be sure of in science. Sure I've heard this stuff before, both sides. I'm saying the jury is still out. And with some large numbers who come from other trades believing (and putiing it in writing) that Ozone can kill mold, we at least ought to not think of them as idiots (unless they lick walls).

Yes, I know that mold is "harmfull dead or alive" according to the restoration schools that I've been to. But no one ever proved it to me. Nor has the other side proven otherwise. Who cares who's right, as long as we accept what is finally proven? Am I going to take to take time to prove it? Yah if you pay me....

But until then, we can’t learn anything if we don’t listen to more than 1 side. How many Allergist out there to this day say "to pull your carpet out" if you have allergies? How does that make us feel? Maybe that they are a little narrow minded? Well they are Dr’s right?

BTW licking the wall is pretty stupid! But i'm interested if that was Tony's reason for posting, or was there another?

Sincerely,
Dale

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I keep saying it, its not a matter of KILLING the mold. remember my analogy of the cockel burr. the problem is who defines killed even if we are going with the premise of killing the mold. who is to say the ozone was in enough concentration to kill all or some of the mold. its all BS.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Yes Dale - It's always good to look at things from different angles, but your last post in itself does prove my point, and also proves why following the current protocol, of removing spores and eliminating cross contamination while doing so - is the right approach vs killing spores and letting their dead bodies lie where they fall to claim victory.

Thats because jury is not out on whether specific molds are harmful to humans long term - we know some are. However - when it's removed from the equation, the right way - we know the risk, and or potential risk, has been removed.

There is no situation or instance where this persons methods would be acceptable for abatement. I'd guess he is an ex-contractor reaching well past the skills he should be providing to the public, which is happening everywhere. I get 2 calls a week on average to go look at botched dry-out with mold, or a completed mold abatement that was advancing a month later - the common denominator - a contractor was the service provider.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Dale said:
Hi guys:
BTW licking the wall is pretty stupid! But i'm interested if that was Tony's reason for posting, or was there another?
Sincerely, Dale

Dale, my primary reason for posting this was twofold.

1/ Do NOT base your "science" on a manufacturer of the equipment that you use to "prove" it's efficacy.
2/ Even if you are correct in your "science" to back up your claim to be the bestest AND the cheapest, for pities sake think about what you are wearing or licking and what you are going to say before getting in front of a camera.
For me this was a pretty good example of what NOT to do from a Marketing pint of view.

I also figured that it would promote some discussion which is always a good thing imo.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Thanks for the answer Tony.

Please let me ask then; is "dead mold" more hazardous than other forms of dust to the Allergic person, or does it just depend on what they are allergic to?

I don't have time to write now, but there is PROOF that one organization did a great job at turning mold to gold to line there own pockets..… More later, after I return from a work assignment next week.

But if your not interested I understand. I type slow, and only want to help the industry if they want it.

Sincerely,
Dale

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

An IICRC Board of Directors member brought up this matter. At this point it appears that no one on this board is interested in finding out about IICRC Mold Remediation vs. facts, including that Director.

After giving this matter consideration, I have decided to write a confidential letter to the IICRC’s, B.O.D. I will give them and their Attorney time to answer. I only care because a lot of people who have mold problems have been affected. It may take me a month to write that letter, and I anticipate 1-2 more months before it is answered. When the letter is answered no one will be shown it, except those who care enough to want to know the truth.

Here is the first paragraph in the letter:

Dear IICRC Board of Directors:

To quote Financial Advisor Dave Ramsey “lining our pockets with piles of cash” is not a bad idea. But when it comes to doing that at the misfortune of others, and we are aware of it, we should speak up.

Since my 2 lawsuits with the IICRC it has proved to me 2 things:
· They do not want their mold standards being challenged in court
· They have more money than I do

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I wasn't aware that the IICRC had piles of cash. they collect the renewal and test fees which are pretty small. they have an office and staff to pay for. the dues and test fees pay for these people to administer the program. when you go and pay $300 for a certification class the host, ie your supplier and the instructor are divvying up the money there. a test fee is normally extra and this is what they IICRC gets, they grade your test and keep the records.

I have never understood all the hate for the IICRC, are they perfect NO, could they do more YEAH, even then would everyone be happy, HELL NO. until another organization steps up with standards and implements a certification program they are the only ones out there doing it. I would rather have something rather than nothing, because it is a benefit to our industry.

as to weather people just happen to be allergic to that form of mold, if they are, and your company caused it the debate on weather or not mold killed it will not matter one bit. they will just be asking who your liability insurance is and what assets they can attach.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom