Can you beat this price??

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Not sure how to approach this.
Not a pricing issue/thread.
Long time customer. PM / realtor. Not tons of work but not bad. A real variety of stuff.
From nicer rentals to some low end stuff scattered all over town.

The occasional referral to to ready a home for sale.

One of their office staff texts me. I have a clean needed at 600 xyz. I already have an estimate for
$-----, if you can do it for this you can have it.
It is less than my minimum. And I do not have any idea about the place. Never been there.
So I call both her cell, and the office , leave detailed message. (the address I got was also no good)
I wanted to find out the correct address, when they needed it , if it was ready etc.
I waited quite some time and heard nothing , so I texted back. This seemed to irk her. She said she is really busy.
I have had this one person just text in the past, not giving enough details, then can't get hold of her to find out needed information.
Went to look. And no way would I be able to do it for what she said she had an estimate from someone else.
Since this is a longtime client, I can't decide if I should agree to do it for a lower price.

Again, this person is just one of many in the office . The last thing I want is to do this one for a lesser amount , only to have them expect it all the time.
She may just be up against it with this one client of theirs, trying to get a deal.

Never have had any issues of this kind with them. Larger jobs I submit bids first, but never had any pushback.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I would ask if the level of work is the same!

And does she like the idea that you prevacuum prescrub pre spot steam clean and dry with fans?

If she wants a splash and dash and you can pre spray and steam maybe giving her a break is ok!

Because I promise you that’s all the other guy is going to do!

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Minimum charge is minimum charge is how I'd see it

I do have different minimums for residential vs commercial, and sometimes if the mood takes (they have to be good regular clients)

Reactions: SamIam

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Rick, it is the price/value thing. My suggestion is to mansplain it to your wife, then have her explain it back to you in womanspeak.

Then use her version. It sounds nuts, but it will absolutely work.

Good luck! Clearly you want to keep and service a client, but not on a one-way relationship.

Mrice

Name
Mat
A lage part of providing good service is being able to communiate well...both ways. If you don't even have time to talk with me, I don't have the time either. Much can be said in a 5 miute phone call, that takes many texts to maybe communicate. Usually they are trying to get more than they should for the price you charge.

Reactions: ronbeatty

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I would just text back. No. We would be ... you minimum... but it would be a much better job. Let me know if I can help.
Then forget it.
If you do excellent work, pre-vac, post groom... you will get most of the work from them which will include all the quality work.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
it happens all the time, not really a big deal. Ive had residential customers do it without telling me, they try the cheaper o/o guy

then they usually end up coming back

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My wife would say something quirky like you don’t go to the store and say bread is $3.00 a loaf and say I’ll give you $2.50!

They would laugh at you!

Reactions: Scott S.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Well, got to the bottom of it I think.
Spoke with the Property Management. As I said , I have worked with them for years.

This particular owner went out and got their own quote . The PM does not know who from. But will not hold against me if I do not match the quote.

The person who found all this out for me, from the PM owner, is not sure how much other properties they manage for this particular client.
As I said the PM is a realtor and PM company who has several agents and manages a lot of stuff all over town.

I think when working with PM company's we need to initiate an EULA of our own.!!LOL
We will do the service at a discounted rate, only with your full awknowledgement that it is not the best of service, and that you agree
When YOUR tenant(CUSTOMER) complains we can not be held responsible.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
I wouldn't assume that.
I wouldn't give a price neither, just say no I can't do it for that price and move on.

True, it may very well be that they will do a fine job.
When the pricing discussion comes up so much, I view it as if they are doing it maybe they are doing something in their operation which allows they to provide the service at a lower price point.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We have that happen from time to time. The homeowner or renter can use who ever they want to clean the carpets. The PM recommends us and uses us when it's their sole deciscion. I have them call and say that their tenant (usually) has a lower quote and I usually say, let them go for it. If the carpets don't come up reasonably well, they still may be on the hook for having them recleaned. A couple of times, I have had to go out and re clean.

Name
jack zerkie
Realtors don't spend their own money but love to be the winner with the customer. They will beat you down.
The only way you win is if they know you and your work. I have about 6 companies that Iv;e worked for many years. No questions just go do the job and were both happy. Realtors have a attitude about carpet cleaners that they are far above you. unless you have a working relationship with them. Work is MONEY and it's hard work so get a fair return for your hard work. With 1 sale they make more than you can doing many jobs. And how hard is it talking to people and showing homes yea you know the answer . jz.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Well, got to the bottom of it I think.
Spoke with the Property Management. As I said , I have worked with them for years.

This particular owner went out and got their own quote . The PM does not know who from. But will not hold against me if I do not match the quote.

The person who found all this out for me, from the PM owner, is not sure how much other properties they manage for this particular client.
As I said the PM is a realtor and PM company who has several agents and manages a lot of stuff all over town.
Rick, I think you handled it perfectly.
Instead of getting all touchy, upset, or Marty like, you communicated with them. It gave you the best chance to keep them as a client and not sabotaging your prices.

Clear honest communication. Well done.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
footnote :

I went ahead and did the unit last Friday. At the price the unit's owner had a bid for.
It is on the second floor, with a little diffcult access, so a lot of carrying stuff. Slightly PITA. House is in a really sketchy hood. Where a lot of bad stuff goes on. Boarded up , and burned out places , with some others putting in and effort to bring the area up.
This one is nicely done.
Carpet was not bad at all. Almost new, but of course a poly. , but a little nicer than in most rentals. It is one that looks wonderful and is really soft and fluffy, but thin and distorts as soon as it is walked on. Two bedrooms garden, with separate liv room and din room.

Haven't spoken with the management co. yet. I just told them I would do it on a one time basis. Am waiting to see if there is any feedback at all.

When I submit an invoice I will write it up and detail all that I did. with a price, which I will then discount down to the bid the owner had gotten. I am not sure if the owner will even see the final write up, as I submit it to the property mgt.

Back
Top Bottom