can you handle my truth

some might remember a few weeks ago i added a second handle to my wand, the first in the typical position and the second all the way up after the bend. it took a little getting use to at first, but now it amazes me how handy it is to have and use. i switch all the time from handle to handle, it doesnt get in the way and is all around better. i find on lower pile carpets , the high handle is better to use. most of us here use teflon which turns most carpets into an ice rink and the high handle really helps for that. i highly recommend for all of use guys to atleast give it a try, you wont regret it.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I like a higher handle on mine to, had one welded on and mounted the valve on it. Makes for an easier grip, esp with a glide. I don't have to wrap my hand around a 2" pipe and then have to trigger the valve.

07-05-12Wandat5016Tara37.jpg

06-09-19Happytruck005-1.jpg

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
holy crap is that my wand you stole??? :lol:

looks just like mine....

I think i will print the pic and see if my welder can do it for me...

why did you just not buy one of those pressure washer type handles for it???

Greenie

CAUTION!

Before you go and throw a handle ON TOP of a wand that was intended for a valve to be triggered from below, consider your height and the wand's NORMAL operating height, some wands you will drastically change the head angle and lip position by doing this, and you may be forced to hold the new contraption in a higher position to make everything work right.

Now, for some of you 6'6 giants this may be ideal to solve a height descreptancy.

Also you may already have one of these wands with the CAT pressure washing style valve in the HORIZONTAL position, I know Magic wand sold a whole slew of them as the Big Boy Original, and It's an option on the CMP / BLUEline ERGOwands , Cobb might even have sold some as well, they are out there.

Here is a pic of a much better angle bracket for these type of wands.

As a foot note for Ron Werner (Happy's pics above) How do you trigger the solution in that pic?

As a final footnote, many guys with 2" wands wouldn't need a CAT option if they had a FeatherTouch valve to start with, too many crappy valves out there.

GUNJET.jpg

GUNJET2.jpg

GUNJET3.jpg

GUNJET4.jpg

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Why did I not buy the pressure wash type? I tried it and didn't like the grip.
I was already modifying the wand head on this wand (an old Big Red wand) so I just had them mount the valve above the pipe cause I was getting a sore wrist from gripping the 2" pipe and then having to work the valve.

Jeff is very correct, watch the height or you will have to hold the wand at a height that is very uncomfortable. I'm 6' so this wand works perfect for me now.

I was testing a slotted glide on this job to, see the pics in 1000 Words. The slot glide just makes it like my stair tool, very loud but sucks like crazy!

How do I trigger it? just by tilting my wrist a weee bit and lifting with my index finger. That position keeps my wrist very straight and squared to the handle. It beats having to hold my wrist at 30-45 degrees to grip the top. with the glide on the wand it slides so easy that I can angle the wand with a twist of the wrist.

Jeff, is that guage for pressure or for temp?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Greenie there is not enough room for the vac hose cuff to slide on.

Kevin (Mr. 406) fill in your full name in your profile.

hcciam, that looks like one very unique wand. not quite what i am going for though. the 2 handles on my wand are for my left hand when pushing and pulling the wand. the higher handle helps me to bend less , Greenie, that valve, is that for better pushing action, i have never tried it on a wand, looks heavy duty.

JohnnyV

I'll tell you the Truth. I wouldn't be caught dead taking something that looked that crappy into my customers homes....I guess if it works for you..

Bob Foster

If you seen his work - you would recommend him no matter what he brought into the house.

I will put his workmanship against anyone.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
NOW there's a productive statement.
I wouldn't be caught dead cleaning a carpet like I've seen some guys with the "latest" and "prettiest" wands and equipment. All they do is give lip service to the term "thorough cleaning". Vacuuming to them is just something to kill a little time, to just get the light stuff of the top. IF A CARPET IS NOT VACUUMED THOROUGHLY IT IS NOT CLEANED! Homeowners prevacuuming just doesn't cut it. Rinsing means moving that wand as fast as they can so they can get out the door and make as much money per hour as possible. For as much as they've "cleaned" the carpet, ie removed soil, they may as well have stayed home. It looks clean but that's about it!

When I bring that wand in they know I'm serious!! They KNOW I'm not going to pretend to clean their carpets. I'm not there to "impress" them with how fancy my equipment looks, but it is clean, solid, and does one hell of a job, esp with someone that knows how to use it. Everything about my set up WOWs my clients, and then I WOW them again with the result.

Thanks Bob, and apologies. Comments like that just irk me.

As for the handle, my left hand hardly touches the wand. I can one hand it quite nicely, esp with a glide. I stand up up straight and use slow strokes to give a thorough rinse. I have the rubber handle up as high as it will go and I rarely if ever bend over to wand. I use that handle for my left hand to just guide the wand, sometimes I'll pull a little to move it forward but I don't push with my left.

Greenie

James, how much room you need?

As for ugly wands, I can honestly say, Ugly truckmounts are just as bad, Ugly loud truckmounts are even worse.

I don't think that wand looks ugly, industrial maybe?

One thing about that angle bracket, look how your hand would rest, zero chance of it slipping back and having your palm touch hot brass on the back stroke, a problem with horizontal mounts for sure, and just for added security the brass is protected.

The CAT grip is the CMP factory valve, it's just been elevated.

I'm not personally a big fan of this valve, but the guys who cut their teeth on Steemer really prefer it.

This wand belongs to a customer, maybe he will comment if he see this thread, as he is the one who slings it day in and day out.

KBRENNY

I was already planning on posting something like "That sure is a good looking setup in your pics Greenie", before I got to your last post. I am 6'5" tall and this setup is more comfortable than any wand I have ever tried. I actually took an angle measuring tool from my Dad's carpenter's box, zip tied it to the wand and then made a few passes until i found the best angle and copied it to the bracket I made. The whole point of modifying you wand is either performance or comfort. If you can achieve either more power to you. My wand valve setup may work for me but I watched a friend of mine who is 5'2" try it and almost fell over laughing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom