Can you remove purple dye from concrete?

steve_64

We were trying to finish up a new construction job today but it didn't go so well. One issue we ran into was, we assume, the plumbers spilled some of that glue they use on pvc onto the garage floor and there is quite a bit of purple staining on new concrete that is sealed.

Is there any way to get it out?

I would like to be the hero here because we do so much work for them but i also understand it may be more than they are willing to pay to be corrected. Any info is much appreciated.

steve_64

We get paid by the square footage on these jobs. We have been taking help with because we just dont have time and strenght to do it all alone. Were getting to old lol.

If we cant just spray something on it and scrub It its not our problem. Just trying to be knowledgeable about our profession And not screw Iit up guessing.
I know there are guys here who should know this.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
The purple is a dye added to acetone to mark areas swabbed down and cleaned. So, I would suggest using acetone to leach it out. Try a towel poultice and be patient. Shoot, try lacquer thinner or bleach. It might work.

If I was there, I'd buy a little can of PVC "primer" and screw with ideas out on the driveway.

BTW, as an inhaled volitile, acetone is pretty benign. Lacquer thinner, ventilate well.

steve_64

Thank you! I knew somebody here would have something to try.

I cant try it on the driveway we have to wash them and the sidewalks too lol. This guy is super picky. The bad part is he started out with just the plumbing company so its his guys who did it.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
LOL, I was talking about your driveway. That stuff will penetrate, so if you dilute it, it may go deep out of sight. Otherwise it'll gloat up and you blot it. Dunno. This is all just a guess. No smoking...!

steve_64

Ah hell no not on my driveway lol.

Hmmm no one hitters while I wait damn.

Ill give it a shot tomorrow and maybe get some pics.

Reactions: Old Coastie

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i removed some from the carpet that a plumber spilled using acetone. on concrete thinning it with acetone will make it penetrate better. maybe flooding and sucking at the same time will work. personally for dye on concrete i would go straight for the bleach.

steve_64

="Cleanworks, post: 4426503, member: 47370"]The problem is that whatever you do, you will remove some of the sealer. You'll have to be prepared to reseal and match the existing sealer
This Is what I am concerned about. I may just give him the info and let him deal with it.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
This Is what I am concerned about. I may just give him the info and let him deal with it.
Although not ideal, sometimes this is the best approach. Unless you are confidant you can do the job, it is really between your customer and the plumbers who spilled the product. I, like you, want to be of service to my customer but have to recognize my limitations. This may be an easy fix and we are worried about nothing but it also has the potential to turn into a nightmare and you will be stripping and resealing the floor for free.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

steve_64

I explained my concerns and he decided to leave it alone. The house is already sold so hopefully the new owner wont say anything.

Thanks for the help guys it helped things go smoothly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom