Carpet Protector...

EDS

Name
Ed
How do you offer it and how do you guys make money off of it? Does it really add value to the customer or is it just a scam to extract more money from the customers pocket? Or was that just a false dichotomy?

So I have access to Maxim and Scotch Guard. Im leaning towards the Scotch Guard just because of the name recognition (i guess I could use Maximum and say that I am Scotch Guarding...) and photo op.

It is around $73 taxes in. Some small reduction if I buy a case. The website says that provides it says that it provides 1600 sqft of coverage. However, 3M list's its area to 1000sft.

I charge $60 per area up too 200 sqft. If I charged 14.59 per areas I would be losing money and at 14.60 I would break even.

I know that in furnished homes you may get extra coverage above and beyond the 5 areas but it probably evens out over time because I allow flexibility in areas over 200 sqft.. (master bedrooms, long halls...).

I just don't think I can add it with that type of value for me. Not to mention the extra work...both on the actually adding another step and on the upsell.

Then what happens if they have TG and I want to upset that service? Then I look like a total sleezeball trying to sell them everything...(ask to check their furnace filter...jk)

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I actually sell more carpet protector on commercial carpets than residential. Most residential carpet has some type of protector added at the factory. It wears off in heavy traffic areas. Whether you use Maxim, Teflon or Scotchgard, you are applying it more as a booster than anything else. I have seen a good improvement on my repeat commercial customers. Carpets stay cleaner longer and are easier to clean. I don't sell as much as I should residentially mainly because I had to sell it at places where I worked in the past and built up an aversion to the high pressure sales pitch. It is of value to the customer if it is diluted properly and applied according to instructions.

EDS

Name
Ed
It is of value to the customer if it is diluted properly and applied according to instructions
Or maybe the opposite. What if I raise my price to 65 per area including the application of Scotch Guard, Teflon or Maxim and not use as directed (maybe get 6.5 rooms out of a bottle instead of 5 so me and the customer share the cost).

Not only would the customer be getting value but it would make me distinguishable from the pack. Great advertising potential as well. A little extra work but nothing a electric sprayer and grande groom could not handle in 5 minutes.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Scotch guard is available to you customers at places the shop so they may question why they should have you apply it when they could do it themselves. So something else for that reason.
Fabric Protection is the most profitable add to your business if you are consistent about mentioning it.
Benefits are Clients own maintenance will be more effective and protection of major investment. Think waxing your car.

EDS

Name
Ed
Scotch guard is available to you customers at places the shop so they may question why they should have you apply it when they could do it themselves.
But they can only get the aerosol cans at the big box stores.

Fabric Protection is the most profitable add to your business if you are consistent about mentioning it.
Benefits are Clients own maintenance will be more effective and protection of major investment. Think waxing your car.

That is an excellent idea. That make s total sense with fabric protection ...if the RU covers so much area and furniture is tiny. The cost per application would be pennies...and it adds value to the customer!!!

What are the price ranges? What are the best products and application methods?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
There is no way a customer can get an even protection on their carpets from a spray can, just like you wouldn't paint your car that way. You need to use a sprayer with a consistent pressure and the right tip, usually an 8004. The solvent based upholstery protectors can be quite toxic so you need the right protection and ventilation. Even with water based products, you want to avoid breathing it in. Wear a mask at least while spraying. Once it's on the carpet it's ok.

EDS

Name
Ed
I think I am a mad genius. I know how to slay the beast! Ok I accept a loss on Scotch guard of 5 bucks per areas. Of course this is off set by my increased prices up to 66 per area. But that is off set by extra labour due to crb use both pre and post spray. Efficiencies will be made up with Devastator wand.

I can starve my competitors refine source. Im top dawg with google in my service area. But the guy behind me has moved up fast. Probably one update away from the 9th page. Anyhow, assuming he/her is not I will deny him his /her bread and butter.

If they are going in so low then they have to be cutting corners. Hard to imagine that would be over looked when applying carpet protector. I include that in my price and show case it and do the compare/contrast hard in good concise. I make that inclusive but further distinguish the difference between m and other carpet cleaners (force them to step up...but they are old and have a different mindset...how could you call yourself a carpet cleaner ron not be on MB?) No passion.

Thats why I will win (kinda come off as a duesh with that comment right?) . And the worst thing for them is economies of scale. Once I get volume I can bring down price and expedite their demise...

kinda harsh right???? not really. Im a realist. Kennith Waltz???? Love that guy....

PS

they started it with a race to the bottom with labour....or labor

or just mad...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I wouldn't worry so much about what your competition is doing. There is more work out there than there are cleaners. You are already setting yourself apart by upgrading your equipment and knowledge. You want to convey this to your prospective customers and let them know that there is a value for them in paying a little more than the run of the mill carpet cleaner.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

EDS

Name
Ed
I can't make money of this crap when applying to carpet. Why not subsidize a small portion of the cost for the customer and give them value that way while making myself distinguishable?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I only sell it where I see a benefit for the customer. Then I don't really sell it, I just offer it. As simple as Mrs. Jones, would you like to have a carpet protector applied to help prevent staining? I have a customer that purchased new bright white nylon carpets about 3 years ago. Factory stain resist nylon but they are red wine drinkers. Everytime I clean her carpets, I protect them with Dupont Teflon. It really helps. Older carpets, I usually don't bother, unless they are in really good condition. I have lots of repeat commercial customers that I protect everytime. It's usually a struggle to bring the carpets up to par the first time. The repeat cleanings are easy compared to ones that don't have protector. If you don't offer it, you may be depriving the customer of a valuable service. Don't oversell it but don't undersell either.

Reactions: Russ T.
Name
Nate W.
We have a residential customer who buys Maxim Carpet Protector and asks us to apply it after cleaning..

It's a polyester carpet as well... Who am I to say no.. We charge her for applying it.. She's the only one we've dealt with who buys the protector themselves..

EDS

Name
Ed
While sticking it to those wh
Not everyone WANTS protector. Don't make them pay for it.
Then they are idiots. People that live in condo's or townhouse (1250sqft) which are small should have carpet protector. They would see the most benefit from it. Maybe the family of 4 in the 4000sqft house on Westwood Platue not so much. But even then the traffic areas should be protected (said the guy that never once has offered carpet protector or applied carpet protector...but has some ideas about carpet protector)

If it truly is a good product and adds "value" then they would be idiots not to accept the subsidy that I will be giving them. I take a $6 hit per area and offer free application. It does not get any better then that...
But the $6 hit I take may be offset by up selling other services (not products) in which I control the price.

By up selling a product (carpet protector) I limit the services I can upsell without look like a total D-bag...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
For people who doubt if it works, take a piece of carpet with out any protector on it, apply some to one half and leave the other half untreated. Then stain both halves and see how each cleans. I was trying last year to demo some spot cleaners on a piece of nylon carpet. I smeared all kinds of stuff on it (mustard, ketchup grape koolaid), then cleaned with an upholstery tool trying to set in the stains so I could try my new spotters. To my surprise, everything came off with the upholstery tool and hot water. Then I realized the carpet sample I was using, I had treated with a carpet protector that my supplier was recommending. It won't stainproof a carpet but it sure helps most of the time. It's worth charging a fair price for. I usually charge aprox 50% of my cleaning price. A good rule of thumb is to charge at least 4 times your product cost. For example, if you pay $60 for a gallon of product that dilutes at 4-1, It cost you $15 for a diluted gallon. So you charge $60 per diluted gallon. 1 gallon of product will give you $240 gross revenue and you should be able to make a profit on that. Take into consideration that you should have a dedicated sprayer that you will have to maintain and the time it takes you to apply, as well as the effort of keeping it in stock.

steve_64

Going to Sycorp tomorrow and buying an electric one and 2 cases of protector...
Just get one and see how it goes. Sometimes a case last a looking time especially when you don't push it.

Reactions: EDS

EDS

Name
Ed
I won't be pushing it but rather incorporating it into every job I do. Unless the customer says that they do not want it. Move outs may be the exception to the rule.

EDS

Name
Ed
It is mandatory unless the client says specifically they don't want it. If they choose me to clean there carpets then they are getting it. For now ( i am pragmatic ). I just cast a line for $675...we will see if they bite...2 weeks ago it would have been 450-500.

EDS

Name
Ed
So I did book the job. But she said that it was higher then there budget so they will remove some areas and not have them cleaned. Honestly suprised me a little bit...

House is on the west side....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom