Carpet Protector...

EDS

Name
Ed
I don't believe you give it away. And I don't believe you use the proper dilutions either.
I don't believe that the persons using it now are using the proper dilutions. If the are charging $99 in my market for 5 areas or offering groups for $39 dollars how can it be anything other then a bait and switch? And if they bait and switch how can they be trusted to use the proper dilution ratio's when they clearly have a history of dishonestly? they can't.

If you have not caught on by now, I am trying to be distinguishable. This is one area that I can showcase how I am exceptional (special Ed). I don't have the client list that Meg has to raise my prices substantially. That being said, if I can offer value to the customer at minimal cost (not selling protector anyway) and try and up-sell SERVICES rather then a PRODUCT with little profit margins compared to my labour then why not?

I can kill two seals with one stone. Not only am I doing something NO one else does but I'm also keeping the door open for the upsell of a SERVICE which MAY be closed if I start hawking everything and anything to the customer. I hate it when salesman do that.

Not to mention it will make my job easier the next time I clean. I want this product to work so I will use as directed...however that is kinda confusing. 3M website says 1600sqft of coverage yet packaging data says 1000...https://www.sycorp.ca/chemicals/carpet-protectors/scotchgard-carpet-and-fabric-protector/
Read the documents section for the shift shxt...(see I'm critical like you Jimmy)

I based my calculations on the lowest end of the spectrum...if it is 1600 sqft I break even.

And the advertising potential is huge...

PS...hopefully I did not offend you when I noticed you under the bridge...

EDS

Name
Ed
Or to make it simpler...I raised my prices by 15 per area added some fancy new equipment to make my job of getting the carpets as clean as clean can be and pay lose 8 dollars to subsidize carpet protector. Meaning I was probably over priced to begin with and now I am adding value to the customer. Streamline processes and find efficiencies and I think I just might make it...

J

JS41035

Oh Gawd! What happens to you when you run out of whatever you're taking?
I do agree with you dad, but It's kinda like that Rolling Stones song "Let it be".
IMO the problem with including protectant in your price is this. So many hacks claim that already. It's very common. You of course can do the math and realize that they are lying. And high end customers know that also. When you offer to include the Protectant in the price, you are imitating marketing practices of low end hacks. The right customers are almost attracted by the price of protectant.
If you are able to raise your prices as dramatically as you say, it will not be as a result of SG being included. It will be because of the way you present yourself, and because you diligently perform the cleaning steps you mentioned.

EDS

Name
Ed
You kinda scared me the beginning there. I think there is probably a need to clarify the definition of hack.

What is a hack? But that is another topic for another day. Hack is ambiguous where as bait and switchers is clear cut. Some of the guys in markets that I want to get into
Advertise low prices then have to upsell some sore of service when at the door otherwise with the advertised prices there is no way they could make money.

I can post pictures of the coupons or groupon ads but I'm sure you have seen them before. I don't think I'm imitating the tactics what so ever. In fact if you look at my website and YouTube videos I am doing the opposite. My prices are not low therefore and currently don't sell PRODUCTS to customers. Everything I put into you carpet I take out....

I will be updating the website tonight further... and price per area will be the first thing you see...

But that's where I loved the end part of your post. Because that's what I am trying to do.

steve_64

Higher end clients expect to pay for what they get. It should be an upsell.. it's 50% INCREASE in the job ticket.

If you want to market it do it as a monthly special that you can track and get real customer info. Free Scotchgard with three rooms or more or something like that. Do it in one place like Facebook or newspaper.

Jmo

Reactions: EDS

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
What you view as a "product" is actually a "service" in your client's mind.

Wrap you head around that and you'll be just fine.

Reactions: EDS

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
@Russ T.

What are your thoughts? I know you recently "crossed over".

Did a shift in mindset make a difference?
This is such a great thread. The Stockwell fellas brought it strong and Meg continues to beat that consistent drum.

Meg, I've believed in these products for some time now. I think we met at the MF in Clearwater a couple years ago. I was already warming up to it because I had the privilege of seeing it (Maxim Advanced) work in a commercial setting at one of our accounts.

I really didn't sell it much though. We charge good money to clean people's carpet because we really BELIEVE we are the best.

We are shifting gears a little now. Mel's on board and that's HUGE.

She has been mentioning it to EVERY residential customer now. Just yesterday, I cleaned 2 modest sized carpet jobs. Both were @ 550 ft.². For under $100 each, these customers were able to protect their investment in a clean home.

And I was able to make $165 minus product. I probably used 1/2 gallon, this time Scotchgard. It couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes to apply.

Will yesterday's 2 jobs change our world? No, but this has happened quite a bit since St. Pete. This needs to be the beginning of a move toward MOST residential carpet being protected...this could be really big!

Something dawned on Mel during several conversations with you and John in FL. You guys really BELIEVE in these products and know you are adding value to your service. THAT is the difference, just like Lee and Justin we're saying.

All while making next cleaning easier.

I think it's so important that if you're not convinced, drop everything.

Do some testing for yourself, really do some testing. Test it in your filthiest customers home...for free...to convince YOURSELF.

We're giving ourselves a raise, a real one.

And it benefits the customer too.

EDS

Name
Ed
Applied carpet protector on both jobs today. One was for a minimum service charge job ($195) for two three areas in a town home (living / dining room combo and a set of stairs) and another minimum service charge job ($100)

Regarding the CONDO job...Did did this client about three month's ago for pet stain and condo cleaning...there was very minimal clean up the client keeps the place perfect.I felt I owed them and they like dogs as dobI plus they have a gmail account. Both were close by and took me 3 hours to do.
For the work I did (did not even do all the areas in both places) and the amount I charged, I don't think i would be in their price range to add another 90 to their bill for Scotchgarding.

But these are bad examples because they are minimum service charge jobs. But used protector on both.

My town house prices have gone from $300 up to $400. Me trying to get them to fork out another 200 for protection...not to many will bite and i look sleezy when I try and add them other services which cost me very little vis a vi carpet protector.
But it is based on market. Up here both places were worth over half a million but they are not rich. Similar market to Seattle. Working class. Us Canadians pay higher prices ,and receive far less, compared to the US citizens who purchase similar if not the same product.

People up here who live in town homes are generally to poor to afford a house that would offer comparable living standard. For $850,000 you can buy a crappy house in a suburb of a suburb. There not poor but they are not rich (general wide assumption).

But I need more calls to really test this some more. Done the content for the carpet protector web page on my site now just waiting for my better half to make it pop...

Finally started using my rake...hacking cough cough

Attachments

• IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

EDS

Name
Ed
Even made a short video talking to you guys...practicing my sock puppet show for the unboxing of my new devastator wand tomorrow....

EDS

Name
Ed
Oh snap she left a review...big surprise...:biggrin:

Edit: Had picture of review here but took it down...

Last edited:

EDS

Name
Ed
Going to Sycorp tomorrow and buying an electric one and 2 cases of protector...
The did not have a electric sprayer in stock. Went to planet clean and spent bought this POS for $150. Any ideas how to mod?? Another option (since I am grooming now) is to have a dedicated solution line and hydro force for carpet protector. Electric sprayer is on the want list (3M one) because it will make me more efficient for pre-spraying and thus increase my productivity times which has nose dived as of late...

EDS

Name
Ed
IMG_2295.JPG
We are now live. Should have posted this in the advertise prices thread...but it does fit both...

EDS

Name
Ed
SO it has been deathly slow so not much of a test. Had 4 calls booked three of them. The only one that did not bite was a house for 650....

Interestingly the other three have all been min. service charge jobs..the group i was most worried about with my price increases.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom