Carpets buckling

Cody Ransom

Name
Cody
What causes carpets to buckle after cleaning? It's rare for it to happen to me and they always lay back down within 24 to 72 hours. I'm really frustrated as I just had it happened to me on a high-end client job.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Generally improper install. The carpet may not have been power stretched.

When you add moisture fibers swell and push against each other and with no where to go but up which is the least resistance.

It can be frustrating. Maybe include it on some leave behind literature as a possibility on carpets that are denser and may not have been power stretched.

This way it was proactively spoken about before it happens. As far as a resolve to it, airmovers, HVAC helps if really concerned and dehumidifier aids greatly in removing the moisture in the air.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It's a consistent problem here in BC. Majority of residential carpets installed with knee kicker only. We warn customers that it may happen before we start. Let them know it is their problem if it happens. Unless you have drastically overwet the carpets. It usually goes back to normal when dry, if it doesn't, they need to look after it. The CRI and the mills should police their retailers as many warranties are void if not power stretched.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I had a cgd carpet that buckled badly just as I presprayed it. You would think if it's glued down, how can it buckle? The building owner contacted the installer who said "well we just did a perimeter glue. They just glued the edges and left the middle loose. NOT an approved installation technique.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I usually include the disclaimer for that when I'm doing my walk through.
I let them know that if the carpet was not installed properly (which they usually aren't) it will likely buckle up but then lay flat once dry. If it doesn't we can certainly come back and stretch it at $90 per room.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I still remember the first time that happened to me....I jus nailed down a string of NINE banks...the very first one rippled up like an ocean. ....the manager freaked out...fired me the first night .....
Went back in the am and it was perfect.....

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Cody Ransom

Name
Cody
Is it also just carpets coming loose overtime? I've had one house where it buckled and she said it never happened before. It did lay down when it dried.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
The tack strip could be degraded or coming loose. Try pulling it up in an area along the wall and see if the carpet is either rolled under itself, or if the tack strip is loose.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
But never take ownership of it....
Just give it a day to settle back before you mess with it.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I've also been told that it can be the result of the mill placing too much "filler" material in the glue holding the two backings together. The "fill" absorbs water and swells.
exactly, the ones i see just the prespray sends it into wave action. i think some of the chinese carpets use clay as a glue extender which absorbs a lot of moisture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom