Category 1 and VCT..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We wouldn't remove VCT unless it needed to be removed.

Removed only if there were water beneath it or if it were bubbled or if it were over a wood or particle subfloor. Otherwise we would just monitor any seams for puckers or curling.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
How would u know? Just monitor
Yes monitor it.

It would need a path to get to the concrete. Around plumbing, HVAC vents, behind built-in's or at seams. I'd concentrate your drying there if any of those are in the affected area.

Make sure your lines of communication are clear with both the homeowner and adjuster. You didn't miss it, their is potential there but not enough to justify removal at this point. You'll keep an eye on it and inform them if there is any change needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ivan Turner

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
So what happens if the slab is wet? Concrete won't swell and expand or otherwise be damaged by moisture. The real problem with wet concrete is that the flooring adhesive might not stick to it. It the adhesive is turning loose, then worry if the VCT must be replaced (monitor). Normal drying process will get the moisture out of the slab in a few days.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So what happens if the slab is wet?
You can get some microbial activity depending on what organic material might be present. We've seen some very high counts when moisture is trapped by the vinyl. It can also cause some discoloration from the microbial growth that would cause the damage.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
You can get some microbial activity depending on what organic material might be present. We've seen some very high counts when moisture is trapped by the vinyl. It can also cause some discoloration from the microbial growth that would cause the damage.

Definitely happens, but I think you will have several days to get the slab dry before you have to worry about that. Concrete under VCT dries easier than under sheet vinyl since there is some space between tiles.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My initial post were about vinyl, I read VCT but thought vinyl.

You might be able to use a tramex and go to an unaffected are and use it as your dry standard. The problem is concrete always have some moisture moiving though it so your meter could just pegged even in unaffected areas.

we have actually played with using wood floor mats to get VCT to re-adhere. 100% success rate. Granted only tried 4 times.
Wow that's impressive. We've never attempted it. We will dry a day and monitor from there unless you see water weeping from the edge or see it seep out when stepped on. Then its pull the loose tiles.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
My initial post were about vinyl, I read VCT but thought vinyl.

You might be able to use a tramex and go to an unaffected are and use it as your dry standard. The problem is concrete always have some moisture moiving though it so your meter could just pegged even in unaffected areas.

Wow that's impressive. We've never attempted it. We will dry a day and monitor from there unless you see water weeping from the edge or see it seep out when stepped on. Then its pull the loose tiles.
Do it! It's pretty cool. The trick was to but all the mats together. Don't leave gaps like you would on wood floors.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Greg beat me to it... I had success twice with the same thing. Hook them up to your extractor/TM to get the majority of the water out first and let them extract for a little bit. Then hook them up to your dry force machine(s) to complete drying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom