CFM Testing device for Wandlanta

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Test the Airflow of a Wand with the PMF open glide that's on the mach wands vs any other wand with a slotted glide on it, and I bet your results will show that the PMF glide will make the wand have the best lift and air flow combined

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Ok @Larry Cobb , Here is your test. Hook 100 ft of hose to a machine. Have the wand on the carpet as if you were cleaning it and have someone read the lift guage. Now remove the wand and put a cap on the hoser that you can dial down the airflow to match the lift that was created by the wand on the carpet. Now use your airflow meter to measure air movement through that cap. Would that not theoretically be the same airflow as the would be moving through the wand on the carpet?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Test the Airflow of a Wand with the PMF open glide that's on the mach wands vs any other wand with a slotted glide on it, and I bet your results will show that the PMF glide will make the wand have the best lift and air flow combined

Airflow maybe lift I don’t think so.

FredC

Village Idiot
I rigged up a box to test airflow on wands,
I also rigged up a way to test wands when on the carpet, with two funnels and the air meter place inside. I have come to the conclusion that my results are better just kept to myself, because all of the rocket scientists / NASA engineers / backyard briquette masters all some how quite their jobs and became carpet cleaners with massive knowledge

I get that you feel your multiple engineering degrees, floworks models, and NASA certified wand airflow test results would be wasted on us normies but maybe you could give us a taste.......

instead of....you know....

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ok @Larry Cobb , Here is your test. Hook 100 ft of hose to a machine. Have the wand on the carpet as if you were cleaning it and have someone read the lift guage. Now remove the wand and put a cap on the hoser that you can dial down the airflow to match the lift that was created by the wand on the carpet. Now use your airflow meter to measure air movement through that cap. Would that not theoretically be the same airflow as the would be moving through the wand on the carpet?

Andrew; You are correct.

That is the "orifice testing" that Ametek does with all of theri vacs.
We have one that we use to compare vacuum systems.

Once the correct size orifice is determined, you can compare systems with just a digital vac gauge.

Orifice.jpg

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
By far, the greatest restriction is where the carpet meets the wand lips.

Radius of the lips or glide around the intake will have a significant effect.

Also, airflow will NOT be the same in both directions in most wands.

P.S. According to TConway testing, the Evolution had the best open airflow over the DevPro. Not a wand chosen by discerning buyers.
I think the reason why, the evolution wand is very straight, all the way down to the head where it spreads out. In my opinion, every time we put a bend in the wand, we create turbulence and disrupt the air flow somewhat. A lot of wands have a 90 degree angle right at the wand head, then a bend at the bottom of the tube as well as a bend near the handle. All these bends will have some bearing on air flow. Just because the Evolution moves more air, doesn't mean it recovers more water. A wand has to have the right balance so the operator can keep it engaged with carpet easily. Some of the old Bane wands were very similar to the Evolution in concept.

Reactions: vibra-vacster

Mike Draper

I left this place maybe 3 years ago and I come back and Larry is still talking about CFM. I’ll be honest, Its nice not caring about that stuff anymore. Do a good job, with good equipment. Be kind and thoughtful with your clients ( dont be a creeper) and youll make money. I dont think it really matters if you use a 1.5” wand at this point.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mike Draper is absolutely right.
3 years away and wiser.

But did logic, truth and common sense ever stopped a heated MB discussion. Or for that matter, changed anybody's opinion........... ever? :winky:

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I left this place maybe 3 years ago and I come back and Larry is still talking about CFM. I’ll be honest, Its nice not caring about that stuff anymore. Do a good job, with good equipment. Be kind and thoughtful with your clients ( dont be a creeper) and youll make money. I dont think it really matters if you use a 1.5” wand at this point.

you're sharp dude, Draper
Glad you're back

..L.T.A.

Reactions: SamIam

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I get that you feel your multiple engineering degrees, floworks models, and NASA certified wand airflow test results would be wasted on us normies but maybe you could give us a taste.......

instead of....you know....

Fred,
I have been doing this for how long now, we have the Dev filter and the Dev wand, and booth seem to get good reviews. I have my haters all across the web and that is fine.
At the Nexus show I was asked to be part of a group to talk about our products....... I didn't like being there, I am NOT a bragger, It was very hard for me that weekend, it was the weekend of my moms death, just a ton of emotions on that day.
I was always taught to show with actions not words, so I will continue to let the tools we build speak for me.

I have come to a awesome place in my life....meaning that no matter how hard I try there will always be the guys that say I am full of crap, nine years now, I have given them enough of my time, I have told my story over and over, yet still the same questions.

I will keep my testing skills to myself, keep pushing forward, I am no different than the ones that talk crap...they should be able to test and build the same, as they continue to talk and slander my name, yet never bring anything to market themselves.
So my secrets will be just that, mine. Sorry if I offend, but it is the truth, and I am tired of trying to prove to people that really don't understand, or want to.
I am just a guy that grew up with a wrench in his hands, and a father that pushed me to prove myself through actions not words, and a mother that was anal about perfection.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I have been doing this for how long now, we have the Dev filter and the Dev wand, and booth seem to get good reviews. I have my haters all across the web and that is fine.

I'm not a "hater"

Cobby likes to use geek gadgets and you made your own geek box

why the hell don't you guys quit over thinking it and playing around with geeky gadgets and simply measure how much gets squirted down and how much gets recovered ?:dejection::hopeless:

you don't need a damn engineering degree or any geek gadgets other than a 5 gal bucket

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Fred,
At the Nexus show I was asked to be part of a group to talk about our products....... I didn't like being there, I am NOT a bragger, It was very hard for me that weekend, it was the weekend of my moms death, just a ton of emotions on that day.
I was always taught to show with actions not words, so I will continue to let the tools we build speak for me.

I have come to a awesome place in my life....meaning that no matter how hard I try there will always be the guys that say I am full of crap, nine years now, I have given them enough of my time, I have told my story over and over, yet still the same questions.

I will keep my testing skills to myself, keep pushing forward, I am no different than the ones that talk crap...they should be able to test and build the same, as they continue to talk and slander my name, yet never bring anything to market themselves.
So my secrets will be just that, mine. Sorry if I offend, but it is the truth, and I am tired of trying to prove to people that really don't understand, or want to.
I am just a guy that grew up with a wrench in his hands, and a father that pushed me to prove myself through actions not words, and a mother that was anal about perfection.
Very sorry to hear of your mother's passing.
My condolences.

Mikey P

Administrator
I think the reason why, the evolution wand is very straight, all the way down to the head where it spreads out. In my opinion, every time we put a bend in the wand, we create turbulence and disrupt the air flow somewhat. A lot of wands have a 90 degree angle right at the wand head, then a bend at the bottom of the tube as well as a bend near the handle. All these bends will have some bearing on air flow. Just because the Evolution moves more air, doesn't mean it recovers more water. A wand has to have the right balance so the operator can keep it engaged with carpet easily. Some of the old Bane wands were very similar to the Evolution in concept.

Does this mean we can expect 25" lengths of rigid porty hose from Cobb CFM Enterprises?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

Then why are some cleaners buying a $1800 wand,

and one cleaning company I deal with,

spending over $10,000 to replace ten 1.5" wands.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mike Draper

I guess I should clarify. Tom’s wand kicks but. The results are provably better over other wands. This CFM testing with different gadgets is so hit and miss it just seems silly to be debating over it for years imo. Can I do just as good of a job with a 1.5” wand? Sure, i just wont be near as productive in using it as the achievable results will take me longer with a 1.5” wand........I have to flush more and do more dry passes. To each his own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom