CGD Carpet Issue

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
So I was cleaning an old CGD carpet lastnight. They were complaining of an odor in a particular area. Just so happens that its a small coffee area, and they spill it quite often.

My question - Is it possible that the constant spilling of the coffee has damaged the glue and that is what I am smelling? It doesnt smell like mildew really just an unpleasant odor. Backing deteriorating ?
I didnt apply any odor counteractants as I didnt want to worsen the problem by adding more moisture.

Any insight or hypothesis' would be great. Its for a very large contract that we also do the janitorial for and, I would like to have an educated answer to give them as to what is happening.

Thanks in advance!

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
Steve,

Most folks put milk in their coffee...could it be from the milk (in coffee) spilled and soured?? Maybe a good rinse, some antimicrobial and a lil' deodorizer might fix? Or could it be that they (workers at office) tried some sort of cleaning chemical and made matters worse?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Also remember that real coffee is basically an organic compound. So add the milk, sugar, creamers, and organic matter in coffee and vola, A stinky Situation. You may try a heafy oxidizing deoderizer like OSR, or Masterblend Antiallergen deoderizer and a good rinse after words.

John Watson

Hey Hoodle doodle, if I was faced with something of this nature I would try some Quat a Lot or HydraCyde to see if that didn't help the problem if it is the carpets..

other possibilities of sink drains and whatnot in the area.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Take an awl and probe a little to test if the adhesive is solid.
Then feel the carpet surface with your finger to see if its crunchy or gooey plus check under the sink.

If the adhesive is good which it should be, I'd flood the area better yet use a Claw, dry extract lay down several cotton towels and do a little stomping until nearly dry then LIGHTY spray on some Peroxide or an Encap and leave.

Remove the source of the odor and you don't need no stinking masking agents.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
The carpet is close to 15 years old.

The smell is consistent no matter where in the building we clean; its only more prevalent in this area. Its one of the health department buildings. That age of the carpet is why I was questioning a problem with the adhesive.

thanks for the replies

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Direct glue installations are hard to hurt, but a double-stick (with pad under the carpet) you won't want to flood with anything. Get the pad wet and it doesn't want to dry, and adhesive could release. Either installation method, an over-all unpleasant smell isn't carpet or glue after fifteen years. A former cleaner's work may be to blame, or the source may be something other than the carpet.

A better definition of "unpleasant" might help as well! :D

G

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
So I was cleaning an old CGD carpet lastnight. They were complaining of an odor in a particular area. Just so happens that its a small coffee area, and they spill it quite often.

My question - Is it possible that the constant spilling of the coffee has damaged the glue and that is what I am smelling? It doesnt smell like mildew really just an unpleasant odor. Backing deteriorating ?

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
The carpet is close to 15 years old.

The smell is consistent no matter where in the building we clean; its only more prevalent in this area.

It smells pretty much the same type of stench no matter where you clean, just MORE in that one area? And that one area is the only complaint?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Oh just to update with this.

It wasn't a glue issue. The carpet just stank, probably a mix of the coffee, creamer, and whatever junk the previous companies were using. I used a light prespray. Allowed it to dwell and flushed the carpet very well. Did the peroxide deal(Prochems Urine Rescue) Did the towel stomping thing, before this. Put a few driers on it and got it dry before I left. The following week the staff in that office suite were happy with the results, "It smells much better" No masking agents were needed.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom