Challenging chair job

harryhides

Name
Tony
This badly soiled, disgusting arm chair - cotton poly fabric - came into my shop and so I figured, lets just see if we can do anything with it.
The seat cushion which was also pretty bad had already been cleaned before any pics were taken.

aYellowedChairBF_IMG.jpg

We started out by wiping it down with Iso-Propyl Alcohol towels, which removed lots of the oily soiling ( you could see yellow on the towels ) but the chair barely looked any different.
Next I cleaned it with a hot sauce of ammoniated, upholstery pre-spray, and a twist of boost and some citrus solvent stuff, brushed in and given plenty of dwell time. Wow !! Here you will see in the next pic what was accomplished.

bYellowedChairBFSteam_IMG.jpg

Hmmm, I was hoping for a little more than that.
But I knew from the start that my secret weapon was going to come out.
Can you guess what it was.
Below you will see the result.

cYellowedChairAft_IMG.jpg

Better but no cigar, so I repeated the process.

dYellowedChairAft2_IMG.jpg

Now, to the camera, it was looking pretty good - good enough to return to the customer considering where we had started.
But just to see what would happen, I tried something completely different.

Doesn't look a whole lot better via these pictures but in person there was a marked improvement.
Care to guess what I did - took approx 45 seconds.

eYellowedChairEnhanced_IMG.jpg

harryhides

Name
Tony
John is right on one count.

Apply and brush in Pre-spray and then hit it with live steam. Then extract.
Did this twice.

As for the final touch up, no not crayons, guess again.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I was thinking along the lines of H2O2

But I'm probably wrong again :(

Ooroo :roll:

harryhides

Name
Tony
I never met this customer and so do not know if he/she was a gorilla but may well have been an elderly and very sweaty shut-in.

Wrong again Shorty .... oh well.

Sprayed a little white fabric dye on with an air-brush to remove the final traces of yellow and brighten the thing up a bit more.

harryhides

Name
Tony
John, I've used a bit of white crayon on something like an ink stain on a white synthetic blend on occasion. Won't make it disappear but it sure does look better than your previous best effort.
The more the cotton or rayon content, the more likely I'll try a spot of fabric dye as it will soak in and then later I might finish up with some crayon, cappish ??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom