Chamber of Commerce

Name
Evets
Do you guys belong to your local COC? Are you an active member, i.e. participate in events etc..? Seems a likely source for commercial cleaning as well as residential and rental properties. We are just adding cleaning to our restoration business, and recently joined. They have something going on every week. Nothing like face to face time to promote your business.
Pros and Cons, please.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It can work well if you attend and participate. We had been members for many years but quit attending so I quit renewing. I'm sure we will rejoin at some time but someone needs to be involved or it seems like a waste.

Reactions: Walrus Gumboot
Name
Evets
Yeah, just paying the dues would be worthless. But it could be a great opportunity to razzle-dazzle some connected business owners and get some quality work. May be a good place to spend some marketing money rather than casting it into the Google wind.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Cons: like you said in op they have something going on every week, so its a time suck. And it takes time to build relationships so is'nt neccesarily going to pay returns immediately. Also depends on your population base as to if it makes sense, I would look at what businesses are already members to see if it would be to your benefit to spend the time trying to build relationships

steve_64

I pick up one or two a year just for the $150 dues. People moving into town mostly. It also links to my website so probably helps with the Google listing.

steve_64

Im in a hick town. I wouldn't pay that much neither. It's only $125 next town over.

Name
Evets
I pick up one or two a year just for the $150 dues. People moving into town mostly. It also links to my website so probably helps with the Google listing.

But are you working it, or just a member? The dues are higher here, but there's about 300,000 people in this area. University of Georgia and buttloads of businesses and money. The dues aren't the only expense if you participate in all the events, but I'm weighing the long term benefits against the cost of other marketing.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Evets
"I would look at what businesses are already members to see if it would be to your benefit to spend the time trying to build relationships"

Not really sure what you mean by this. There are 100's of members. Is this meant to be about competition? I don't have any.

steve_64

I use to be more active with same results as just paying dues. Bout 15000 people in town.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
"I would look at what businesses are already members to see if it would be to your benefit to spend the time trying to build relationships"

Not really sure what you mean by this. There are 100's of members. Is this meant to be about competition? I don't have any.
I live in a small rural area largest town has 20000, I didnt see it worth me joining as a cc'er so I joined a small independant business network meet once a fortnight drink coffee hand out referrals etc.

Reactions: Walrus Gumboot

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
$450 a year for us but we spend extra (included in that price) for some of their internet marketing listings.

We have been too busy in past couple years to attend a lot of functions but do get a lot of referrals and pick up new people moving to town also from it

cpwall

Name
Philip Wallman
Joined my local COC just a few months ago. Rural small town, cost me 200 bucks a year. I went to the weekend retreat and I try to make some of the ribbon cuttings and after hours events. I have booked directly 2 commercial gigs and 3 homes, directly from the chamber members and directly from being a member. No telling how many indirect referrals but at least a few that I know of.

Name
Evets
Man, I look at these population numbers for some of you and just can't relate. 15,000 - 20,000. Wow. Is that just the city limits pop., or the entire area? Hard to wrap my head around that.

Name
Austin Willoughby
I think community based groups are more effective for rural communities, if your in a high population area then you defiantly want to make connections with realtors, bankers, ext. because people tend to move around a lot more in those areas. At least that's what I've learned for marketing insurance haha. I'm in a rural community so I will be joining COC. Guess it really also depends on your target market.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
Our is $250/yr and they have a lot of events, but we found them to be very cliquey. If you're not already "in," they don't give you the time of day. And our only competition in town is on the Chamber's board of directors, so... We have run ads in the Chamber's monthly magazine and participated in events, but there has been little to no return on investment. The only good thing that came out of our membership is that we now have the local hospital as an occasional client. (An administrator stopped at our booth and talked to me at a community event a couple summers ago.) We're considering letting our membership go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom