Check out this video on repairs.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Re: Check out this videa on repairs.

Is this guy from Cairns, John or is he a Kiwi ?

Umm, seam sealing ??

Bob Foster

Sure makes it look easy. I would appreciate it if someone would explain the reason for the tape and how they put it on.

Stevea

I guess there are many different ways to make a patch. Interesting to say the least.

SA

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Seam sealing yes...

Now watch it again and watch his 'grain direction' identification and (mis)management.

Almost immediately, he turns the piece around before he marks it. in fact, the stain is installed at the end, round the wrong way in the closet.

John

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Yeah John LOL - first time I saw him do it I had to replay it. The arrow he put on after effectively rotating 180 degrees? Hard to follow but I'm sure that patch is running in the wrong direction.
Man he doesn't muck around :shock:

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
This guy has tons of repair videos on youtube.

He explanes in one of the videos on youtube that he flips it, then marks it so when he puts the 2 to 3 layers of masking tape on to make the template he can mark it again. Then when he takes the tape from the damaged piece and puts it on the donor piece after cutting and flipping the donor over the angles from the damaged piece will match the donor piece.

He is very fast and like I said above search youtube for his name he has tons of videos and walks you through all his repairs.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
The hand is faster than the eye :shock:

Guys, can you tell me the exact name of the tool he uses to cut with? Also, what is the difference between a cushion back cutter and a loop pile cutter? Just looking at tools on the web but not sure which is for what. Thanks

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Harry, you be nice to my twin bro.

I had just shown him how to replace a carpet tile.

(Just between you and me, the edges of the tile were marked with a pen that allows you to see the edge with uv glasses).

He had practised this a couple of times before we filmed it in beautiful downtown Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu.

:oops:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
In my opinion Heath, you need both.

A loop pile cutter generally has the bar underneath and is used for cutting loose carpet.

The cushion cutter is used from the top only.

John

Cousin

G'day everyone. Nice idea this open house :D

Now I suppose I have to pay :roll: :wink:

John one aspect (of the many) of that vid that concerns me is his overcuts at each corner.

I'm sure when the rental manager?? comes back in to inspect, they're gonna be happy as, but what happens when the carpet gets some use.

Those overcuts, that were not re joined or seam sealed (like the rest of the repair) are going to peak and fray.

I like his simplicity of the matter, but he's removed a visual eyesore and replaced it with a physical time bomb.

I have had to replace a couple of repairs just like this (and thinking about it, I'm sure they watched this video :evil: ) and I thought at the time this layer/repairer should not have been paid for this job.

M

timlakeman

I think that you'll find that the cutting blade is right at the back of the tool and the rest is just a guide. I'm not makiing excuses for the guy though as I too Think his methods are a bit yee..haa..!

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey M,

glad to see you dropped in for a visit.

I tend to agree with you but on some accasions, over cutting is necesary... not taht one though. Also if you do, you definitely need to sew/seal/bond the overlap to eliminate that possibility of it getting worse with use and failing.

John

S

Smart Choice Glenn

Ok, this may be a very dumb question..... I have not even done a repair ( I pay a carpet layer to do that at the moment)
Can someone explain why he put glue tape down and then put glue on top? I assumed he was going to use a kool glide or something.

Glenn

Stevea

Hi Glenn,

In a repair such as the one viewed, referred to as a bonded insert, there is the need to have some foundation of some sort to tie the insert to the rest of the carpet. One of the more common ways is to use conventional seam tape or something similar. Then the tape is glued to the carpet on the floor and then the insert is glued to the tape and hopefully sealed to help bond the piece further, (this helps to keeps any hinge effect from occurring which will show the cut area or the seam).

In this case, the conventional seam tape has nothing to melt the adhesive on it since a conventional seam iron will not work well or will not be practical to use, so it is simply used as a foundation to hold the pieces together. This is why a glue gun is usually used to hold everything together.

It is a fairly common practice for some to use a steam iron, (the type used for ironing clothes), where one melts the adhesive on the conventional seam tape. This would certainly not be a practical thing to do with tufted carpet because it could easily cause other damage, yet some will still try to do this. They will try to melt the tape under the carpet by placing the iron on top of the carpet, usually with a towel of some sort. This is not a good idea.

Of course, a very practical way to do a repair like the one viewed would be with the Kool Glide. This system is designed to work with such a repair and works very well. This along with sealing of the edges, with a glue gun and Kool Glide adhesive sticks, will allow everything to fuse together and this helps to minimize the seams and helps to keep the normal flexing of the inserted area from occurring in a way that may highlight the seams.

You may want to try one of these repairs. There are several that have tried it by watching and learning from others on this board and have had great success in doing so. Try it with some remnant pieces of carpet and you may want to add this service to your arsenal of things you perform for the clients you have.

I hope this helps a little.

SA

S

Smart Choice Glenn

Thanks Steve, it's a big help. I am planning to go down the repair road in the not too distant future.
Getting a bit of an insight to it all and what's the best ways to do different repairs.

Glenn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom