Chemophobic Customers

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
This is one of the main reasons I have continued to use Grease Eraser from Chemeisters. I tell the customers that it is a phosphate based detergent, a food grade one. It is safe to inhale, as I have for three decades, and in a moderate dilution rate, which is appropriate for most residential cleaning, it is odorless to even the most chemically sensitive. Never had a complaint from any customer about the use of it, and I have great confidence in it's safety. I cannot say the same about any other product I use, and toxicity is one of the main reasons I do not like to apply protectors.

Ausmaca

Name
Tony
This topic reminds me of a saying that has stuck with for for a long time "the buyers perception is always reality" doesn't matter what we think. "Just smile and keep walking fellas"

I think it would also be a good way to make a bit more profit. You know, extra rinsing, premium product etc...

Reactions: Mikey P

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I always have found it interesting that some customers who are "hyper allergic to everything" would suddenly be fine with whatever we normally used when they were offered hypo-allergenic options at the appropriate upcharge...

Reactions: Barry-QDCC

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
believe it or not, the most common phrase among the concerned in California was (is).... "Do you use chemicals....the rest move on to the next question of how much or how long to dry.

yep-- these are the main questions we get also.

I tell them even water IS a chemical- a mixture of Hydrogen and oxygen. and it kills more people world wide then any other chemical-- due to floods---n so anything used incorrectly can hurt you.
The state of California has nearly banned all the bad stuff with VOC's.
I also tell them we rinse the carpet with pure water to leave their carpets as chemical free as possible..

Im my Bio they will read how the chems used in he past made me sick and that I no longer use such chems--- I

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Let's see ... I could spray Powermax and rinse extract, or I could spray Procyon and rinse extract.

Which one should cost more?
Why wouldn't/ couldn't you charge more for carrying and using a specialty product that your competitors probably don't use?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Procyon is not a specialty product, and it doesn't cost me any more to use it than it does any other prespray.

I'm high enough as it is. I'm not looking for reasons to charge more.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Never used it, might try it though, it kind of turned me off to see it being sold at Rural King in the bargain bin.

People pay a shit ton more for bottled water than water from the sink, even though most brands are the same

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Why wouldn't/ couldn't you charge more for carrying and using a specialty product that your competitors probably don't use?
Chris, that's a good question.
The answer is- it depends.

You could I assume charge more, as what you'd consider a specialty product and or for the fact that you carry an extra one and went through the hassle of both educating yourself and stocking it.

It really is a business decision.

I choose not to charge extra, for what I consider to be part of my service. It does not cost me anything extra or make me work harder. If it did I would. For example I charge for the full size of the room, even though I do not move the beds and dressers etc. Why? It takes longer to clean a furnished room than an empty one.

It comes down to what you consider fair and how you want your business and practices to be perceived.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Procyon is not a specialty product, and it doesn't cost me any more to use it than it does any other prespray.

I'm high enough as it is. I'm not looking for reasons to charge more.

Geez- I forgot I also carry Procyon for such chem sensitive clients--- thanks for the reminder Marty:biggrin: ---- We use pro's choice for most of our jobs.

Reactions: hogjowl

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
No one would confuse me with a saint Ofer. And since St James was beheaded, I am all the happier for the distinction.

Otherwise, I deeply appreciate your comments about the difference between those who have an unrealistic need to avoid any cleaning agents whatsoever as opposed to those who prefer less odor, less residue, and are reassured when you can talk to them from informed authority, but tempered by respect and understanding for their concerns.
Let me point out that St. Augustine and a lot more of his............kind, did a lot more beheading than being beheaded.
And , yep. Pretty much what you said.
Only not worded so eloquently.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I was thinking more of the Master blend Allergy Care products I used to carry, which probably wouldn't be something that we would normally use, but.....

After looking at the Procyon website, it is nicely packaged and marketed and does fit with our Healthy Clean philosophy. It definitely could be upsold.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Many ask how safe for pets and some for kids. I tell Them I use as safe as possible because I'm exposed to it every day. It calms all but the worst.
For those I just clean it with peroxide and a rotary. I charge more and tell them some stains won't come out. I explain they can't be allergic to water or oxygen. Never had a problem since I started doing it. I do use fels for spots if they aren't watching but the rotary cleans just fine. Currently I only have one that does it yearly. Turns out great.

Mikey P

Administrator
customer called me today asking if I could get the swine flue out of her sofa...

I told her it may involved using some chemicals...

a.baa-Pig-sofa-very-nice-lol.jpg

@hogjowl

Able 1

Name
Keith
I also explain it like laundry, and add we use soft water only to rinse your carpet. I say some guys think they need a chemical to rinse with, do you use a chemical you rinse your clothes ,just water right?

I was cleaning for one of the high end rental properties I service and I was coming in the door with just my hydroforce.. This snobby lady looked at me with disgust and said "what's that for" I looked her straight in the eye and said "rats mam"(should have seen her face).. We had a good laugh, after I told her I was the carpet cleaner..

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I learned to ask a question back to get the true meaning of their question.

I agree that such questions warrant a little further probing to determine if there is a legitimate specific concern, or if it is merely a "general" inquiry.

Considering the increased awareness of late of all thing considered Green, healthy, Organic, Non-Toxic, Earth-Friendly etc., I don't think such a question should immediately raise a red flag, especially when many within our own industry use this awareness to their advantage in their marketing as touting themselves as being "Greener", "Safer" and "Non-Toxic", thus creating the perception that other cleaners may not be, so I consider it a very legit question.

Whether or not the customer is a whack-job or not should be based on their response and possible follow-up questions to whatever your initial generic response to such questions is, not based solely on a simply inquiry.

I think now more than ever, such inquiries are simply considered just as standard as "How long will it take to dry?" and such, and rarely that a customer's concerns are not put at ease with the simplest response and reassurance that your not going to kill the dog, and that they won't be hacking out a lung.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom