Chevy van blew heater core today.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Finished first job and noticed the smell of antifreeze and that my engine temp was higher than normal. I immediately put water in my radiator using my ss870 to pump water from the water box. I noticed my heater core was puking out the water. Turns out it's a $16 plastic part that busted. The heater control valve. I'm off to the store now to buy one and hopefully get back to work. Excuse the dirty shirt in the picture. I was scuba diving in hot radiator water trying to find my leak.
IMG_3962.JPG
IMG_3963.JPG

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
You could have easily bypassed it by looping one of the heater hoses back to the engine.
Too bad you weren't with me on the side of the dirt road to do just that. I was wishing I had a pair of vice grips and I would have just pinched off the lines, but that wasn't an option either.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Not so easy to bypass. It would still take a trip to the parts store for barb fittings and just as much work to do a temporary repair.

That bypass valve bugger is a biotch to get at!
I'm living the dream. I can't get my hand in there to get the clamps off the broken bypass. so i'm just going to plug things up until I can get some cable pliers for clamps. I don't need heat. I can wear a jacket.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
That dang thang is under the AC box. I pulled the passenger tire and removed the splash skirt to access it from down under.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
That dang thang is under the AC box. I pulled the passenger tire and removed the splash skirt to access it from down under.
Lee. I love you but your living in happy land. One hose is 1/2 inch and the other is 3/4. So it's not just a matter of sliding some hoses around on the side of the road.

I can't get the damn bypass off so I made a Marty-Rig ( @hogjowl )bypass until I can locate some hose clamp pliers.
IMG_3965.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: dealtimeman
Name
Lee Stockwell
In the future, just FYI, you can cut the larger hose a foot or so from the outlet on the water pump.

Then remove the clamp from the smaller hose next to it. Cut the smaller hose flush with the pipe.

Now loop the larger hose back and after sliding the clamp up the hose, work the larger hose over the smaller one and tighten the clamp.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
My van is a 2001. I'm wondering what other vital plastic piece is going to break. I kind of feel like I'm driving a teacup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom