Chinese Drywall Myths & Facts - WEBINAR

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
RIA Event Details

FEBRUARY 2010 BROWN BAG WEBINAR: Chinese Drywall Myths & Facts - The Building, Health & Science

Feb 24, 2010 1:00pm - Feb 24, 2010 2:00pm
(GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Event Type: Webinar
Category: Webinar

Description

Topic: Chinese Drywall Myths & Facts - The Building, The Health & The Science

Presenter: Barbara Manis, MD, Building Health Sciences

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

1:00 - 2:00 pm Eastern Time

It’s a hot topic and one which Restoration & Damage Repair and Environmental Contractors need to be aware of. Foreign-made Chinese Drywall was imported into the U.S. as a result of the housing boom, and the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when the demand for drywall exceeded the available supply from US manufacturers. Initial detection involved the release of noxious sulfur odors which were exacerbated by heat and humidity. Emissions from the contaminated Chinese drywall caused corrosion of metals, including silver and copper, damage to chrome, brass and silver and electrical systems to name a few.

And while the actual health risks to humans have yet to be completely defined, potential health concerns include insomnia, nosebleeds, headaches, and breathing difficulties among others. Updates will be given as of the webinar date.

Using science rather than emotion, Dr. Manis will investigate the actual health effects, present current science, including the results of extensive US governmental research efforts of the EPA, the CPSC, the CDC and the ATSDR, coupled with findings of the German research team. You’ll learn how chemistry, testing costs and detection methodologies present enormous challenges to the development of appropriate remediation protocols.

To insure timely delivery of your confirmation emails, please add the following to your "Safe Senders" list:
lbakken@restorationindustry.org
chereth@restorationindustry.org
GoToWebinar.Notifications@citrixonline.com

Instructions for obtaining the Go-To-Meeting webinar link will be emailed to you within 24 hours of receipt of payment confirmation. Due to time-sensitive nature of this event, no refunds will be granted on cancellations. To participate, attendees must have Windows XP, a telephone or computer microphone. Once registered with RIA for the webinar of your choice, you will be sent a direct link to go-to-webinar where you will be prompted to RSVP for the webinar. Go-to-Webinar will automatically send you an email that will allow you to login to the webinar (only one person may register off this personalized link). You will also receive periodic reminders from Go-go-Webinar about the time and date of your webinar.

Early registration ends on 11/08/2009.
Regular registration starts on 11/09/2009 and ends on 02/23/2010.
Late registration starts on 02/24/2010.
All times are 12:00am (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada).
Register for this Event

Registration Fees
Fee Type Member Fee Non-Member Fee
BBWEBFEB
Early: $55.00 $95.00
Regular: $55.00 $95.00
Late: $55.00 $95.00

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
as i posted in a earlier thread i'm getting tons of work. the lawyer here is recommending that you have all the furniture taken out of the house and placed in the garage of the new house and all cleaned twice. I follow his guide lines to the letter. we attend meetings regularly and get tons of work. it's like fishing with dynamite.

gene

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Wow sounds like you doing well with it. How are you cleaning the contents? Dry with HEPA or actually wet cleaning? Do you need an IH for this type of work?

Name
Al
Gene
Let me see if I got this right. You are being told by a "lawyer" to move furniture into a clean place and to get rid of a type of gas you clean the surface of the items "twice" to get rid of it. What are you doing about what is on the "inside" of this furniture? You can't even get mold out of furniture so how do you clean out a gas. Second how does a lawyer know how to handle this, when there is still so many unknown things about this. I hope you have a good Lawyer. Good Luck.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'm always amazed how worried people are about getting sued when doing something they aren't familar with. with that attitude never do floods, you might get sued for a mold issue.

they actually have done air quality test before and after to determine the best course of action. all that has to be done is remove it from the source. period. the double cleaning is just lawyers raising their bills. some companies are going in and cleaning as if it was asbestos.

after the furniture has been cleaned an air sample is taken from the enclosed area to make sure all is fine.
($1200-1800 per sample)
so far so good.

gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom