Cigarette smoke damage

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I've got a friend that. He bought a house from chain smokers that needs help. Can I rent an ozone generator for this? Can you he live there while we are using it? The place smells pretty bad and he needs some quick help while painting is not an opion yet.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes ozone will help.

No he shouldn't occupy the space when its operating or for 30 minutes to an hour afters its shut off until fresh air is exchanged.

The real is problem is that film of nicotine has coated everything and to actually get rid of the odor is no small chore. From top to bottom and everything in between should be cleaned thoroughly with a degreaser. If the ceiling is popcorn, it should be scraped. Hot air rises and no matter how well you clean, the ceiling could still hold odor.

The air ducts should be cleaned and the filter replaced. Degrease the sheet metal as far in the boot as your hand can reach. If odor can persists you may need to Ozone the duct work too.

If after all that its still smells and it could, seal it all with bin and paint. http://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...sser/primer-sealers/b-i-n-shellac-base-primer

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Odorcide makes a product that works well for me. Wipe down the walls and all hard surfaces. Spray a new a/c filter with the odorcide and run the fan too. Every thing living out of the house for ozone machine. Of course a high flow carpet cleaning helps.

Reactions: Odorcide Mike

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Thanks y'all. Fortunately the house is all hard surfaces.

There were three chains smokers in the house at all times. It smells crazy bad in there.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What kind of degreaser should we use?
Lots of good ones out there, we've used all of these over the years and they all work well.
Prochem's Ultra Pac Renovate, UnSmoke's Degrease All, Chemspec's Liquid Wall Wash.

If its not bad any of the stuff at Sam's or Cosco will work to some degree. As always the Pro stuff is more efficient and effective to use.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Mr. Cruise I'd say it would be in there best interest to scrape them and seal that ceiling with BIN before reshooting it.

I'd recommend doing knock down thing, its will not look as dated as the popcorn. :cool:

Thanks Shhhavez.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If you can positively pressurize the structure with the ozone generators that will help in the interstitial spaces.
I agree that will help get Ozone gas into gaps and crevices it wouldn't do without pressure. Ozone doesn't penetrate well. The only caution I'd make is if it is an apartment, duplex or town home where there is share roof or walls.

There is a slight chance of Ozone gas getting over to shared air space.

Reactions: K&J Products

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Just to be clear they bought a house that had smokers in it BEFORE they got there.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
That popcorn must be scrapped off for any real noticeable difference to be made.

You need to spray the walls down and get all of the yellow crap off of them and clean the air handler like shavez stated.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom