Cimex streaked a commercail glue down

tim

Did a job 2 days ago on commercial glue down. I used Releasit and a Cimex. My helper used the same except a 20 inch brute instead. The next day the Cimex side had distinct streaks like lanes where I cleaned. The Brute side did not. Both areas were equally clean and looked great except the streaks on the Cimex side. My production was only about 1200 sq feet per hour with both machines. This is slow compared to figures given with the Cimex. did a wet pass and a dry pass walking at a slow walk. This was a church atrium area so not greasy, a few drink spills and general traffic.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
How long have you had the machine?. Use it often? Are all heads distributing the same amount of solution?.

Albert

tim

the cimex is just a few months old. bought new from ricky. seem to get a nice consistent foam on the dry pass.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
never used a Cimex in the "real world"
only played with them.

but is it possible you didn't overlap enough?

are the dirty streaks or "cleaner" streaks?

as far a production times
very few manufacturer's/salesman's "production claims" match reality

..L.T.A.

tim

I overlapped a good 8 inches or more. Dont think it is a clean/dirty issue. This carpet did the same thing when I used hwe with my rx20. that is why I went with the cimex. The Brute OP side is flawless

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
It's hard to tell exactly what's causing the problem without actually seeing the carpet. But what you're describing sounds like the carpet is loaded with soil down at the backing.

If you will pry apart the tufts of fiber and look down at the backing, I believe you'll see that the backing is no longer white. Latex is white so the backing should be white. But sometimes when a CGD carpet gets high traffic, combined with inadequate vacuuming, and/or inadequate cleaning, the backing loads up with soil.

A CGD carpet with a soil plugged backing can cause weird striping when it is wet cleaned using any level of moisture, regardless of whether it's encap or HWE. The fact that you saw this with your RX-20 and with encap adds to that. And it explains why bonnet/pad cleaning (which uses less moisture) didn't affect the soil in the backing.

Soil can load up in the backing of a CGD carpet since the tufts of fiber are so densely packed together. And no amount of pre-vacuuming, pile lifting, or HWE flushing can get it all out. Once the crud pushes down to the backing and gets compressed under the dense CGD pile, it can be next to impossible to remove. That's why it's so important for the building to have adequate walk off mats, a good vacuuming program, and a schedule of regular cleaning intervals.

I have personally run across a handful of CGD carpets that gave me trouble using any level of moisture at all (even encap). In these cases we will normally clean with as little moisture as possible, and then we'll post-pad/bonnet clean them, and they turn out perfect. Sounds like this is what you're up against on this particular account.

If I can help you out, shoot me an e-mail... rick@excellent-supply.com

Ricky Thurman

did you run your final dry passes all the same direction?

I have seen pictures where each pass was run in alternate directions, leaving the carpet looking like the grass on a baseball field. I'm sure that the pile direction will even out over time with traffic, but maybe that's the problem. Thats what it sound like to me since you said they carpet is clean and this only happened where the cimex was used.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
It's pretty obvious this carpet is loaded with soil and needs to be steamed out. Simply running a Cimex and encapping (loading more contaminants into the carpet) will just exacerbate the situation. The in-term methods have their place in appearance management but a thorough cleaning has to be done occasionally.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
The prevac is them m ost important step!

Sounds like too much soil built up...time for HWE!

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
For all you HWE stoopies - let me remind you of his previous statement. "The Brute OP side is flawless"

Some of you are definitely mouth breathers!

Jimmy - when you hit your forehead with your hand - you know, when your wife tells you to do something for the third time but you just "forgots about it" - is your hand resting on your forehead at a ninety or more of a forty five degree angle? :twisted:

diamond brian

I think it must be in the pads used. I'm guessing you were using Glad or cotton on the brute and Fiber Plus or it's equivalent on the Cimex?

tim

I always prevac, Im not a hack! I have used hwe with an rx20, same streaks. The OP did great, so it is not a flushing issue. Brian, yes, I used gladiator pads with the brute and fiber plus pads on cimex.

steve r

ive heard rumors that carpeting being encapped actually has less soil in it than carpeting being hwe.i also heard it was the manufacturers that discovered this but will not openly admit this.

sounds like the streaks are simply from using a rotary type machine laying the fibers in one direction and then being reversed on the other.even overlapping you will still get this. try post brushing the carpet to remove this effect before it dries.

my best guess.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
tim said:
fiber plus pads on cimex.

for situations like that there are other options for pads/bonnets on the 'Mex.

thanx --- Derek.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ok after I saw what he type i knew right away what it is...

but i read on to see what rick said..

and I find it kind of funny, because it shows you just how much "action" is being done with the cimex vs op....

if its not a clean/dirty streak then it is this.....

the nap (how very little) was lifted and its the wheels that have left marks...

have done a few that this happens to..different types of carpet, different soil loads, different almost every thing...

go back with that thought in mind and then post what you think..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom