Cleaning gravestones

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
image.jpeg
Here is a gravestone in Tennessee, found by a friend. He believes it to be limestone. Is there a product that can clean it without damage, abrasion or pressure? These are legion in my area and we respect our dead.

Reactions: Bee Busy

Bryan Thomson

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
If this is a "historical grave site" you need to check with the "historical society" and find out if they will allow you to clean off the " historical dirt/ patina"
I was cleaning an exterior wall in San Antonio near the River Walk and was told to stop because it was right next to a "historical site" which could have lead to significant fines if I had gone any further.
Better "safe then sorry".....just saying.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Thank you both. The gravestone is like so many; on private property. There are thousands of these all over the South. Similarly there are many tiny cemetaries that one finds out in the middle of nowhere, forgotton and neglected. In this instance a friend is looking for suggestions to clean it up
And perhaps, put a sealant on it to slow the march of time.

Bryan Thomson

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
There is a product that Mikey P uses that "is not" acidic base but aka like an acid cleaner which is what you would need to remove the black stains on the limestone.
I would lightly agitate with this product and then rinse / extract at low pressure say 400 psi.....let dry and seal with a good penetrating stone sealer.

Reactions: Old Coastie
Back
Top Bottom