Cleaning stained grout

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
whats the preferred method. I still use flex and peroxide and then scrub. Pressure 600-800 and the stain usually doesn't come off. For poorly installed stain I change out the jets to 95's So I can rinse without the hard impact. Most times it works but there are times like today when it doesn't want to let go of the dirt. Kitchen still looked bad. Most was due to loss of stain and the grout showing through but some was just dirt not letting go with out damaging the stain. Used an acid and scrubbed just on line but didn't change it. Also used a pretty strong alkaline and scrubed but didn't change either. Sometimes I use grout stain and do the entire kitchen if it's real bad. This lady was tough. She wanted us to polish the old scratched high polish ceramic. She couldn't get a grasp that it's a backed on finish. Forget about explaining the stain problem. Even when I showed her under the stove where they didn't stain she couldn't get it.

Gene

Mikey P

Administrator
For poorly installed stain

Not sure what you mean by this Gene..

On tough stains we soak them for 15 second in Chemspec Bio Solve and have never had a satin NOT come out.

:icon_twisted:

If Flex isn't getting it out, try and acid with a steel brush like the Interlink one we gave away or the Home Depot toof brushes. Sometimes we'll even use a grout saw to remove a micro layer off the surface.
Sometimes Color seal can make you a hero if the grout is not to contaminated.

But ultimately, there are times when the grout is stained all the way through and that's when your schmooozing sales skills better shine..

and yes, you'll get some dopey customers who do not understand absorbency, gravity and common sense.

Just hope they don't have a Yelp account,.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
good time to break out the getko to test if real pressure, straight down, would help situation

Also need to test with a stripper, as she sounds like a do it your-selfer

if you have old style turbo, you can adjust angle spray also so it is not as aggressive impact

Reactions: Shane Deubell
Well first off if you want the best results you need to use the best chems. Viper Venom is hands down the best tile and grout cleaner. A wide array of dilution ratios. The stuff gets tile clean every time. I used to scrub every job now rarely. Just give the chem dwell time. Let it dwell 30 minutes. I have used Flex for tile and it does a good job, but I would stick to using it on carpet and use viper venom on tile. If the grout is TRULY stained like someone put oil all over the grout such as old English wood floor cleaner etc, then use the the viper renew again with extended dwell time.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Maybe I should be clearer. I'm referring to grout that's had a color seal applied. Lots of guys using poly blend around here. We did one today we did a year ago and in the kitchen you could peel it off. I repaired some of the areas last year. This time some more came off including some that came off while just drying with a micro fiber mop. Looking for a good product easy on the color seal but will still work.

Gene

I thought that was what you were referencing. Well in that case use only a neutral ph cleaner and very low pressure. If you are trying to remove it good luck because that is really hard. About the only thing you can do is color seal over the old after it has been cleaned or regrout. I almost quit offering color sealer now because regardless what the manufactures tell you the stuff does not hold up well. It takes forever and a day to apply and then you have to get the haze off. I still offer color seal but only on jobs that absolutely need it. A lot easier to clean and apply a solvent based sealer. I do it like Mike. I don't like water based sealers.

Reactions: SamIam and Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom