Cleaning tile and grout only

Name
Swani
I have been asked to clean some tile and grout without stripping off the sealer. Any suggestions on what to use?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
does the customer know how long it's been since the grout has been sealed? And is the tile ceramic or is it a tile that has sealer on it as well?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Nick, in general you just use a neutral cleaner and a floor brush in such cases. Flush and extract the slops.

But: The sealer may be damaged from normal wear, the homeowner's use of strong detergents or the soils laid down over time. Cooking grease and spills can penetrate all the way through. The sealer may have been put down over uncleaned grout.

In short, emphasize that what you use will clean, but not damage the tile and grout. It won't fox any problems that are already there, either. It would be better to let you clean normally, and re-seal.

Name
Swani
I have only talked to the owner and haven't seen the actual tile yet. But from what I'm told is that the home was built recently as a vacation home and hasn't had much use. They asked me to do the carpets and asked if I could do the tile while I'm there also but expressed that they really just wanted the tile to be cleaned and not resealed. I don't do much tile and grout but I have done some. I usually use my tile spinner and ************ which from my experience can be a mild stripper.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I have only talked to the owner and haven't seen the actual tile yet. But from what I'm told is that the home was built recently as a vacation home and hasn't had much use. They asked me to do the carpets and asked if I could do the tile while I'm there also but expressed that they really just wanted the tile to be cleaned and not resealed. I don't do much tile and grout but I have done some. I usually use my tile spinner and ************ which from my experience can be a mild stripper.
Just use your carpet prespray with a ph of around 8-9. And get rid of that ***********. I've read a few horror stories about that stuff

Name
Swani
Nick, in general you just use a neutral cleaner and a floor brush in such cases. Flush and extract the slops.

But: The sealer may be damaged from normal wear, the homeowner's use of strong detergents or the soils laid down over time. Cooking grease and spills can penetrate all the way through. The sealer may have been put down over uncleaned grout.

In short, emphasize that what you use will clean, but not damage the tile and grout. It won't fox any problems that are already there, either. It would be better to let you clean normally, and re-seal.
Great info! Thanks!

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
There should not be a coating sealer on tile
And grout installation. CPT.

HO definition of waht sealer is differs wildly

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You probably need some more info. What kind of tile? Natural stone or Ceramic? I would clean normally and let them know that the cleaning may impact the sealer and that is their problem.

Name
Swani
You probably need some more info. What kind of tile? Natural stone or Ceramic? I would clean normally and let them know that the cleaning may impact the sealer and that is their problem.
Hopefully I'll get to go look at the house next week. Then I'll have some more info.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
And use very low water pressure if you use your spinner. A lot of times the sealer will power wash right off of there.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
What PSI would you suggest?

What Steve said. I've been meaning to get a hard surface wand just for those occasions when I need a light sprinkle instead of massive pressure. Be careful. I have removed the sealer when I didn't want too. Nothing sucks more than having to strip and reseal a floor and not get paid for the extra labor.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I've been meaning to get a hard surface wand
I bought a PMF hard surface wand and it works OK. Probably would want to do a small inconspicuous area first, what ever method you decide on.
I would check the grout sealer before you start...a few drops of water...if it soaks in there isn't any sealer. Sell new sealer.
If you are talking about a color sealer- Then I would walk. But if they want you to clean it anyway...I get this regularly... after they sign release... then crb with white brushes if it's really dirty and rinse with Turbo...lower pressure than usual... or wand. Edge with wand and/or hand held Mikey Grinder tool.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I've tested every HS design wand on the market now and am left wanting more...
I liked the 2nd generation gekko brush head with the TM, not enough suction with a portable. The squeegee head locks down too easily. I have the 3rd generation gekko with the squeegee head and find the skirting to tough to get a good seal. A lot more maneuvering than what's necessary.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I liked the 2nd generation gekko brush head with the TM, not enough suction with a portable. The squeegee head locks down too easily. I have the 3rd generation gekko with the squeegee head and find the skirting to tough to get a good seal. A lot more maneuvering than what's necessary.

The little Gekko corner tool looks kind of cool for getting those edges. I may get the Gekko or PMF. The Gekko looks pretty versatile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom