Cobbs - Stain Resist vs Powermax

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I would use 12 oz. per 5 qt HF container for light oiliness in traffic lanes (1.5 oz/gal. diluted for TM)

Remember that inline sprayers inject less, as the water temp approaches 200 degrees.
I normally turn off my heater when I prespray it down, but thanks for the reminder

But it confuses me a bit because I've been told for a long time to use butyl based liquids on poly, and you're the first one to bring up a POG

Why? What makes a POG better than a butyl?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
A good POG has several different solvents to work on different types of oil & grease.

This chart shows "butyl" glycol ether solubility in the middle, but petroleum grease solvents are hydrocarbons on the bottom.
CitraGreen.jpg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
A good POG has several different solvents to work on different types of oil & grease.

This chart shows "butyl" glycol ether solubility in the middle, but petroleum grease solvents are hydrocarbons on the bottom.
View attachment 73977
But some POG's tell us to blot the area with the chemical ,not to spray it directly on the carpet, due to difficulty in rinsing it out. Is your P.O.G. different in that aspect?

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Larry is there any chance you will be making the Stain Resist fragrance free in the future? It cleans great but so many people are picky about smells these days.

Reactions: SamIam

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Larry is there any chance you will be making the Stain Resist fragrance free in the future? It cleans great but so many people are picky about smells these days.

The StainResist Powder has two fragrances in the product which are popular with our customers.

They could be deleted.

Also, d'Limonene is there as a grease solvent , but has a citrus fragrance also.

Deleting the d'Limonene would decrease the cleaning ability.

Reactions: Jim Williams

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG
I just ordered a jug of it to test it over here in Georgia.

For polyester carpet with heavy red clay stains, do I need to add any butyl to rinse out any oil buildup?

It barely did anything. I cleaned it 3times, and added your POG to it on the last two times. I also scrubbed it with a 175/brush
@Larry Cobb

Red clay won the battle. I'm disappointed

Tom Forsythe

From my perspective, you need surfactants to break down red clay soils. Since surfactants are liquids, any powdered formula has a limit to the amount of moisture that can be absorbed. When we introduced a new liquid formula almost 15 years ago we did regional tests against a market leader. Our goal was to match performance. The market leader had almost no surfactancy while the new formula had an equal amount of surfactant, builder and solvent. We were able to match performance in most regions. However, in areas with red clay, the new formula was the clear winner in side by side tests. In short, for red clay soils pick a liquid with a lot of surfactancy. Larry probably has one he can recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
From my perspective, you need surfactants to break down red clay soils. Since surfactants are liquids, any powdered formula has a limit to the amount of moisture that can be absorbed. When we introduced a new liquid formula almost 15 years ago we did regional tests against a market leader. Our goal was to match performance. The market leader had almost no surfactancy while the new formula had an equal amount of surfactant, builder and solvent. We were able to match performance in mos regions. However, in areas with red clay, the new formula was the clear winner in side by side tests. In short, for red clay soils pick a liquid with a lot of surfactancy. Larry probably has one he can recommend.
I know your traffic slam is a good liquid. I'm just wondering why Larry would've suggested this for red clay vs one of his other liquids

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Matt;

Remember that Iron oxide is a color pigment that can discolor carpet fibers.

I'm sending you a quart of a new compound to try on any more red stains you run into.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Matt;

Remember that Iron oxide is a color pigment that can discolor carpet fibers.

I'm sending you a quart of a new compound to try on any more red stains you run into.
How would I know that Iron Oxide is causing the stain?

And Thumbs up with your POG. The odor is barely noticeable compared to the other leading POG's. I would never add some of those that are on the market to my prespray due to how strong the odor is.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Notice how Tom got his two cents in without dissing Larry or promoting a specific product?

Ricky G could learn a thing ...
He knows that I'm not gonna give encapping a chance anytime soon

Who needs it when the tm is doing the job with awesome dry times and finished results?

Name
jack zerkie
You won't Know until you try. I;m 99.9 Hwe truckmount. But one time I had a stain in a very old carpet the owner just died so no one would talk to me. The cleaning came out great, but after it dried the stain was showing Maybe a old water mark or something. I tried a encap and it worked maybe due to less water and the chem used adjusted the stain. I really don't know but it worked. So after 36 yrs I;m still learning and that's good for me. jz.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm going to encap two apartments today. No way am I dragging 200' of hose for 150 sqft of cleaning. Today is my 1% day.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Are you sure that one wasn't caused by some low hanging fabric on the bottom of the sofa placed back on wet carpet?
It's one of those light brown, microfiber reclining couches. Red clay was everywhere else due to the hubby gardening every day out front and not taking his shoes off

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom