Cobb’s thermoplastic- IS IT WORTH TRYING?

Name
Jeff T
Well.... my Goodyear Neptune needs to be replaced AGAIN.... I’m getting tired of tattooing nylon carpet, and it’s getting worn out. Some dude from Texas phoned my office looking for me. He was wondering if I’m still interested in the hose. Well, I am. I’m sure with the shipping, and exchange, it’s going to be EXPENSIVE. Should I go for it? Is it going to last me more than 6 months? Is it going to avoid the dreaded ‘tattoo ‘ syndrome? Love the heat off the van, however, I’m getting complaints about ‘lines in the carpet’. And my helper ‘doesn’t like to pick up the solution line when it’s hot’..... thoughts?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Go for it. Custom order 1-150 ft length. Should reach all your residential. Use it for your lead hose on long commercial hose runs. Shouldn't leave any snakes in the carpet.

Name
Jeff T
Go for it. Custom order 1-150 ft length. Should reach all your residential. Use it for your lead hose on long commercial hose runs. Shouldn't leave any snakes in the carpet.
I’m going to order 200’- 150’-100’- 50’.... should last me more than 6 months....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if it's Parker 1035HT or equivalent it is

Is it going to last me more than 6 months?

yes if you run at 230 and less ATM

Is it going to avoid the dreaded ‘tattoo ‘ syndrome?

yes
Much less heat lose thru the hose than Ineptune
Not nearly as hot to touch either

thoughts?

3 years out of 28 taught me all I needed to know about the hot, heavy, instant fail, black spewing Ineptune steel braid

the cons of Parker are"
memory ...no getting around it, it's stiffer and not as supple..period
Jacket will blister within weeks to months at the TM if running a steady diet over 230 temps .
You'll get pin sprays and have to cut a few feet off and recrimp

if day in a day out in the 220 range, it will last years .
when we replaced ours every couple/three years, it wasn't due to fail, but was due to getting too beat up and ugly to use in res

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Jeff T
if it's Parker 1035HT or equivalent it is

yes if you run at 230 and less ATM

yes
Much less heat lose thru the hose than Ineptune
Not nearly as hot to touch either

3 years out of 28 taught me all I needed to know about the hot, heavy, instant fail, black spewing Ineptune steel braid

the cons of Parker are"
memory ...no getting around it, it's stiffer and not as supple..period
Jacket will blister within weeks to months at the TM if running a steady diet over 230 temps .
You'll get pin sprays and have to cut a few feet off and recrimp

if day in a day out in the 220 range, it will last years .
when we replaced ours every couple/three years, it wasn't due to fail, but was due to getting too beat up and ugly to use in res

..L.T.A.
When you say ‘stiffer ‘ are we talking about having to fight it? Or more like cheap garden hose.... have to work with it, not against it?

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
I run a high heat Butler and have been using Cobs hose for a while. Cobs hose is far better than the Parker hose I used for many years. I strongly recommend it.

Reactions: SamIam

steve_64

Well.... my Goodyear Neptune needs to be replaced AGAIN.... I’m getting tired of tattooing nylon carpet, and it’s getting worn out. Some dude from Texas phoned my office looking for me. He was wondering if I’m still interested in the hose. Well, I am. I’m sure with the shipping, and exchange, it’s going to be EXPENSIVE. Should I go for it? Is it going to last me more than 6 months? Is it going to avoid the dreaded ‘tattoo ‘ syndrome? Love the heat off the van, however, I’m getting complaints about ‘lines in the carpet’. And my helper ‘doesn’t like to pick up the solution line when it’s hot’..... thoughts?
Get another helper.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
PM @Matt Wood

He has the skinny that he wont put in print
Nah. Cobb didn't leave me hanging, so I'll tell y'all. My hose got weak at the crimp at the machine and grew a big bubble. It didn't bust, but it did get ruined. So I called Cobb and told him, and he said that the water got too hot inside the hose. I disagreed, because I know how well my tm manages heat. After several attempts to recrimp it at my local shop and finding out that they don't crimp those types of crimps, He told me to send it back and he'd recrimp it. So I sent him back all of it, even the cut hoses from my attempt to crimp it, and he sent it back with one of the cut hoses crimped only, like they didn't even unroll it to see which end to crimp, LOL. So the hose still wasn't usable. I called again, told them, sent them pictures of what their dude did, and, without question, they just sent me a whole other new hose to replace it.

The most hours I got on that hose so far is 300, so I can't say how reliable it is yet. But I can say that Cobb will replace it if there's any defect. His explanation of why it got defective was that it was hooked up directly to the truckmount without a 25-35ft buffer hose. He even sent me a new buffer hose to hook up as well at no cost. I'll chime in and report back if it happens again, or I"ll just mention how reliable it is when it lasts just as long as a goodyear or longer

I'm currently happy with the hose. No burn marks in grass or carpet, water is hotter at the wand, no more black water, and as Mike says, it doesn't lay limp on the carpet like a heavy SS braided hose. So far, the benefits outweigh the negative. My lead hose is 150 hooked up to the buffer

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
When you say ‘stiffer ‘ are we talking about having to fight it? Or more like cheap garden hose.... have to work with it, not against it?

not sure what you're asking, Jeff

it will always be stiffer
and when brand new, hose reel curl memory can be a PITA to some I s'pose

I used large arbor reel, I'd suspect small arbor reel would make it worse
and prob'ly maybe likely almost sure worse if small arbor live reel where 75-150 ft of hose never comes off the reel and gets "heat set cooked" daily on 73.97% of jobs

after a month or two of use it relaxes and memory curl isn't an issue .
after relaxed, we never noticed curls ..BUTT....we pull off the reel while going into home and only have 10-12ft in our hand

We never carried 50-75-100 ft in and dropped coils on the way out to TM like some do
I'd suspect doing it that way might be a bigger PITA (certainly compared to steel braid)
...'cause even fully relaxed, I never found it to be an easy line to hand coil 50-100 ft like steel braid

I'll note I have no clue if Cobblet's hose is "fo-reel" equivalent to Parker 1035HT
(all I've ever run was genuine Parker and never used/tried any of the "supposedly" as good knock-offs)

will you like it?? no clue

but lets look at the virtues;

Will it last at least twice as long and even longer than steel braid? Yes sir!

Does the slick/smooth jacket make it less drag/snag proof in homes than Ineptune?...You bet it does
The biggest virtue though of that slick smooth jacket, is it's WAY easier to clean/wipe while reeling in should it lay or get reeled thru mud, snow, lawn clippings etc .
It glides right thru a wet spotting towel in hand while reeling with the other..
schtuff wipes/cleans right off like buttah!!
NOT so with shark skin texture Ineptune

Is it cooler to touch? MUCH cooler
little to no chance of permanent pile distortion on cut pile poly/olie .
Don't need gloves to handle the hose either

It's lighter too

No "instant" blow out, (and potentially catastrophic) failures like steel braid.
You get bubbled jacket and tiny pin spray eventually when they fail...never an instant black death burst in the home in my 25 years of my use

The ONLY virtue I find in steel braid is it's suppleness.
That suppleness isn't worth all the drawbacks of that hot, heavy, instant fail, pile distorting crAp Ineptune

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Tell us more Matt...
It just works. Like I said already, it doesn’t burn lines in carpet or grass, water is hotter at the wand, and no fear of Black Death. Plus, cobb will support it if it’s a faulty product, like he supported mine. So I’m still liking it. We’ll see how long it’ll last.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
It just works. Like I said already, it doesn’t burn lines in carpet or grass, water is hotter at the wand, and no fear of Black Death. Plus, cobb will support it if it’s a faulty product, like he supported mine. So I’m still liking it. We’ll see how long it’ll last.
I just bought 250’ of Goodyear Continental Blue Neptune steel braided hose. Cost me $420. It was just easier to go with what I've been using for the last 6 years. I’ve never had a hose blow out, just the business end of the crimps at the wand. It’s been a good hose. I was thinking about going with something else but my simpleton mind got all confused.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I just bought 250’ of Goodyear Continental Blue Neptune steel braided hose. Cost me $420. It was just easier to go with what I've been using for the last 6 years. I’ve never had a hose blow out, just the business end of the crimps at the wand. It’s been a good hose. I was thinking about going with something else but my simpleton mind got all confused.
You’re just as stubborn as me. I told you to try hydroforces hose. Why don’t you listen? Will you please let me know when it screws up on you?

Name
Jeff T
I think I’m going to order 100’ of Cobbs, 100’ of Hydroforce, and 100’ of Goodyear. I’ll run each as a lead line for 3 weeks to a month. THEN ILL KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST. No BS, the favorite will win out, and that’s what I’ll start using from now on....

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I've had Cobb's on a high heat Butler.
So far so good. Stays cool, has a slight heat memory. Definitely less than the Parker and seem to stay slightly cooler.
I do always connect to to the machine with a short New Year metal pressure hose first. Have not had it long enough and run enough hours on it to give a valuable long term report.
So far I really like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom