Coiling Stainless Tubing? - For Heat EX

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie;

Depends on the TM operator, and the TM it is installed .

We have many of our DC that are 6-8 years old, with no failures.

Overall, the failure rate on our TM's is less...
than the % of coils we replaced on Little Giant #3 heaters (running @ factory-set temps).

They also:
1. produce more heat
2. reduce fuel costs
3. reduce non-productive refueling time
4. have less probability of a fire.

We were among the first in our industry, to use a heat exchanger.

That experience gives us advantages of experience.

What's not to like ??

Larry

Greenie

Larry Cobb said:
Depends on the TM operator, and the TM it is installed .

What do you mean, what about the operator should affect the longevity of the exhaust heat exchanger construction? I don't understand the reference.

We have many of our DC that are 6-8 years old, with no failures.

Of those units what type of average temps do they hold? and what average wand flow gpm?
I ask because, it's easier to use a heavy wall construction that is less efficient in energy transfer if all you are concerned about is longevity.

The failure rate on our TM's is less...
than the % of coils we replaced on Little Giant #3 heaters (running @ factory-set temps).

Since you mentioned the comparison, just curious how many units are out there with little giants compared to HX? As it would affect the comparison percentages dramatically. I must say, the little giants are a pretty reliable heat source, I'm surprised at the heaters out there for 10+ years still continuously in use with original coils.

They also:
1. produce more heat
2. reduce fuel costs
3. reduce non-productive refueling time
4. have less probability of a fire.

So you are saying that your existing 6-8 year old HX units produce Higher temps than an equivalent unit with say...a #3 little giant?
Back then what was it, a 20-24hp Honda?

I find it hard to believe a mid-range v-twin could surpass a 120,000 btu heater.
That is the primary reason you see LARGER engines used on TMs today, heat generation because the smaller engines jsut didn't burn enough fuel per hour to create the BTU transfer.[/b]

We were among the first in our industry, to use a heat exchanger.

That experience gives us advantages of experience.

What's not to like ??

Larry

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie & Ron;

Operators can definitely affect the durability of HX's.

Mainly, when they are doing flood restoration.

The HX's have the most difficult operating conditions from this procedure.

The HX may be bypassed or water may run thru it at a reduced rate.

On the # of Litlle Giants, they are a minority now. HX's are at least 2 times more popular than fuel-burning heaters (gas & oil).

The 24HP Honda's with our current style HX easily deliver 190° temp in a residential cleaning.

The Little Giant (without thermostat tampering) could not achieve these temperatures.

Ron- our single large HX utilizes both the blower exhaust and the engine exhaust.
There is a lot of BTU's in both air streams.

Larry

C

Chris Sheldon

Larry,

How do you incorporate the blower and engine exhaust into a single HX? It seems that the blower exhaust would have a "cooling" effect on the hotter engine exhaust.

And what are the BTU ratings (in general) for a blower and an engine?

Thanks!

-Chris

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Chris;

The blower exhaust is ~ 230-240° F.

It moderates the temperature rise in our HX's.

The engine exhaust is much hotter, but lower in actual volume.

In our HX system, the blower exhaust aids heat production up to 230° F.

Above that temp, it slows down the heat rise of the water.

By using both in one large HX, you have higher efficiency than two separate HX's.

Larry

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Larry, for 1, 190 is childs play in the land of temps. and any respectable little giant should hit that easily.. (as you said, depending on operator lol)

2nd. Send me one out for a reduced cost. I have been wanting to put a exchanger on to A. put a little kick to my water before my burner. 2. have heat when doing cars or uph. With flow fired heat, it wont kick on with lower flows of water.

Then i can report back to greenie and the rest how good it is.. :D :D :D :wink: :wink:

plus itll make it so i can yank my blower side exchanger/muffler.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

Actually, with the new 4MR series the blower exhaust is even hotter:

It is about 240° while the blower is working.

Larry

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Doesn't the operating hg load have a major effect on the operating temp? If that's true, isn't it more acurate to include what hg your running at when stating operating temp?

M

mojoe77

vacuum load and blower heat are related also air temp and surrounding blower temps and inlet blower temperature. the mr series blowers have a deeper vacuum allowing outlet temps to be higher. Everything Larry say's makes sense it's not rocket science

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Jay D said:
copper will not hold up as well as stainless, just look at avenger 210 heat exchangers they never held up well. your better off with stainless.

Copper transfers heat better - stainless is stronger, it's a double edged sword, less heat longer life, more heat less life.

There are different grades of copper, the reason the avengers failed so much was just poor design/vibration, and not the best choice in copper grade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom