Color Seal Haze

How are you getting this stuff up? I have been using either microfiber or cotton bonnets and buffing...switching pad frequently, but honestly the floor still has lots of haze but the customer doesn't know. Well until the last one I did customer was complaining a little and rightfully so. I am thinking it would be a lot easier to have someone mop areas that have been sealed as you keep working etc. Either that or just pull the spinner out and give the floor a light rinse which would probably be the best solution.

Mikey P

Administrator
use less product Dan.

and when your done spray the floor down with a neutral cleaner and use your 175 and cotton bonnets to mop it up.

If the sealer comes off doing this, the floor or surface should never have been colorsealed in the first place

Maybe I should switch towels more frequently. Mike that is exactly what I have been doing. Still doesn't get it up as good as I would like. I guess I am just being picky.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
Start by misting the floor with water and run a hog hair pad with a 175 machine. Then do a low pressure rinse. If you some "globs" by the grout lines you may have to use a razor blade.

If the hog hair pad alone doesnt do the trick you may actually have to use a honing powder with the hog hair pad. That creates a mess and you will have to rinse really well. A gecko will work better then a spinner to rinse the floor.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
I am willing to bet he knows that he could of been more careful at this point.

Even with the most careful application, I still run a hog hair and rinse the floor afterward.

Name
cameron demille
Start by misting the floor with water and run a hog hair pad with a 175 machine. Then do a low pressure rinse. If you some "globs" by the grout lines you may have to use a razor blade.

If the hog hair pad alone doesnt do the trick you may actually have to use a honing powder with the hog hair pad. That creates a mess and you will have to rinse really well. A gecko will work better then a spinner to rinse the floor.

Why in the world you use honing powder? It's made from aluminum oxide and can easily damage the finish. Acetone or other solvents would work by hand, but I wouldn't use them with an electric motor.

Spritzing Mr. Clean works as well. Or an alkaline, or a lot of other things, but honing powder is asking for trouble. Unless it's the Aquamix brand, it cut so thin it's practically baking soda

Reactions: Brady

Brady

Name
Brady
50% of the time a white or hogs hair pad should be sufficent, 45%, I have one of my guys use a damp sponge mop while I follow behind with the 175 and either of the pads above. For those stubborn floors (usually the wood plank tiles that are all of the rage right now) we have had good luck with a spritz of windex followed by a hogs hair.

Reactions: Mikey P

Kipp

Name
kip
One variable you'll have at every color seal job is how far ahead you can work before you start wiping. Some tile will allow the product to almost set up and still wipe easily off, this is great because you don't risk taking any out if the grout as you wipe.

If the tile needs to be wiped while the color seal is still fresh then the grout lines need to be well recessed and preferably have straight edges on the tile so you can pass over the grout as you wipe.

In the cases where you have beveled edge tile and/or grout lines fairly flush with tile edge and you need to wipe while it's still fresh the best option is to slow down and stay off the tile as much as possible. Then after completing a room and it's dry mop it heavily with water, let it set 10-15 minutes and use a doodle pad to clean off the edges.

Reactions: J Scott W

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
Why in the world you use honing powder? It's made from aluminum oxide and can easily damage the finish. Acetone or other solvents would work by hand, but I wouldn't use them with an electric motor.

Spritzing Mr. Clean works as well. Or an alkaline, or a lot of other things, but honing powder is asking for trouble. Unless it's the Aquamix brand, it cut so thin it's practically baking soda

I thought your response was interesting so I wanted to double check and make sure I wasn't doing a dis-service to my clients. I called technical assistance at grout perfect to double check.

While he did say, you shouldn't have to get as aggressive as using a honing powder (which I also said only in an extreme case), but that as long as the color sealer is dried to the grout using a honing powder would not damage the sealer bonded to the grout.

Name
cameron demille
I thought your response was interesting so I wanted to double check and make sure I wasn't doing a dis-service to my clients. I called technical assistance at grout perfect to double check.

While he did say, you shouldn't have to get as aggressive as using a honing powder (which I also said only in an extreme case), but that as long as the color sealer is dried to the grout using a honing powder would not damage the sealer bonded to the grout.

I should have clarified, I meant the tile. Aluminum oxide is extremely hard, like cut granite hard. You can damage the finish on porcelain and ceramic tile by scrubbing with honing powder.

ColorClad uses aluminum oxide in the colorseal as a binding agent. That's why it's so durable.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
I should have clarified, I meant the tile. Aluminum oxide is extremely hard, like cut granite hard. You can damage the finish on porcelain and ceramic tile by scrubbing with honing powder.

ColorClad uses aluminum oxide in the colorseal as a binding agent. That's why it's so durable.

I haven't had it happen yet, but I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden

Honing powders are composed of aluminum oxide which is the second hardest natural mineral next to diamond. Honing powder can damage the finish of the tile. Advising to use a solvent is correct but stay away from honing powders on porcelain and glazed porcelain.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I had a job (ceramic tile) where the grout installation clean up was poor. Something I didn't notice until I applied the color seal. During the colorseal ing wiping process, some will get on the tile. I noticed the tile was looking a little blotchy after the color seal application. As I pressed my eyeball to the tile, I notice a very fine film/layer of grout which had been smeared onto the tile during their installation process. The blotchy ness I was seeing was caused by the color sealer attaching itself to the grout film on the tile itself. The only way I could remove it was to do an acid wash which worked really well.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom