ColorClad grout color sealing

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I haven't been able to check out ColorClad in person due to the storms bringing water damage work recently. But I talked to a local tile cleaning friend who just started with ColorClad and he's very happy so far. He did 2 estimates where one custy wants a basic typical color, but the other one wants some whacked color....needless to say...all he has to do now is mix and measure according to the sq ft and he won't be stuck with leftovers of the color. Just thought I'd start a thread on this product since it may have been missed from a current Grout Perfect thread.

Jim Hadley

We have used ColorGlad on 7 jobs this past month and have been pleased with the outcome. It is nice to mix the color on the job without
having to wait for the sealer to be shipped. It does have somewhat of a difference in feel when working with it over Grout Perfect. It is
just a matter of learning curve as most colorants have.

GROUT PERFECT

Name
Dick Pollock
Jim Hadley wrote: It does have somewhat of a difference in feel when working with it over Grout Perfect.

That's because everyone is so misdirected by the ability to make your own colors no one has stopped to think about what it is they are applying to the customers floor.

It also seems curious that it costs almost $300.00 for the kit and if try to do a 1500 square foot floor in the same color you do not have enough coating and you must order more. If you bought enough product from Grout Perfect it would cost less than $150.00 and you would have some left for another job.

MikeS

GROUT PERFECT said:
It also seems curious that it costs almost $300.00 for the kit and if try to do a 1500 square foot floor in the same color you do not have enough coating and you must order more..
It also seems curious that it costs almost $1000.00 for the Grout Perfect kit and if try to do a 1500 square foot floor in the same color you do not have enough coating and you must order more.

OK, neither one is curious.

GROUT PERFECT

Name
Dick Pollock
Skala wrote: It also seems curious that it costs almost $1000.00 for the Grout Perfect kit and if try to do a 1500 square foot floor in the same color you do not have enough coating and you must order more.
It is not necessary to buy a kit from GP. You can purchase only what you need.
Skala wrote: Never worked for GP but worked with SJA on unrelated things (e.g. epoxy floor coatings), so I know a fair bit about GP.
You worked for Grout Perfect for quite a while and you were paid by Perfect Services D.B.A. Grout Perfect. And according to an e-mail I just received from Nino you did, in fact, ColorSeal floors during you stint with Grout Perfect Ohio.

MikeS

GROUT PERFECT said:
It is not necessary to buy a kit from GP. You can purchase only what you need.
ColorClad is sold ala cart as well as kits too.

GROUT PERFECT said:
You worked for Grout Perfect for quite a while and you were paid by Perfect Services D.B.A. Grout Perfect. And according to an e-mail I just received from Nino you did, in fact, ColorSeal floors during you stint with Grout Perfect Ohio.
Not sure what you are getting at here. I worked for Nino (Perfect Services) who, among other things, installed GP colorseal. I installed some colorseal and was around an operation that installed a LOT of colorseal. Never worked directly for GP, never had access to any confidential info, never even saw the shop in Florida. I've installed a lot of products, including Sani-Glaze, Florida Tile and Sika epoxy. Never "worked" for any of them either.

and, your point...?

GROUT PERFECT

Name
Dick Pollock
So which product is better AND the most cost effective?

Ask the users not the manufacturers! Ask Mikey which product he uses.

As far as cost effective, most coatings cost less than 6 cents per square foot. Grout Perfect horizontal surface sealer falls into that price range. You can spend more in gasoline getting to the colorseal job than you will in product.

Call us anytime for one on one technical support!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Never used either but need to buy one or the (gp or cc) of the large kits as I have skipped on many jobs because I don't have either. Issuing just offer clearseal product from cobbs or stonetech.

MikeS

dealtimeman said:
So which product is better AND the most cost effective?
Dick is right when he says that the material costs are only about 5¢ to 10¢ per square foot when color sealing. BUT, that assumes you use what you pay for all of the time. If you need to order a quart of a certain color for a 100 sq ft job, then your material costs for THAT job are more like $1/sq ft, at least until you find another job for that color to use up the rest of the pint/quart/gallon.

Some people hold onto those remnants for a long time...
Bottle_mess.jpg

MikeS

Some people should never be allowed around paint until it dries.

PaintMess.jpg

Even one color at a time.

If you find yourself coming home with more colorseal on your clothes than your custy's floor, then maybe colorsealing is not for you.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Lee Stockwell said:
This has been a fun thread!

I like these two guys. They have the confidence in their respective products and systems to debate the merits and flaws. And since this is the MB, personal attacks are encouraged.

GROUT PERFECT

Name
Dick Pollock
I like these two guys. They have the confidence in their respective products and systems to debate the merits and flaws.

The difference is that Grout Perfect® actually has a warehouse, employees, a chemist, etc.; and most importantly, Grout Perfect has been in business for more than 15 years with worldwide distribution. The Grout Perfect formula has been upgraded 3 times in those years with new and improved ingredients that periodically become available to make our ColorSeal stronger and more user friendly.

In 1999, our first formula upgrade, Grout Perfect® formulated a ColorSeal that could blend its colors together and not jeopardize the sealing characteristics. A few customers would purchase the bases and have the colors made to match various grout charts. All of those customers eventually went back to ordering prepared colors directly from us.

As you become more and more experienced with presenting the product and service to your customer you will find that you can lead the customer to the appropriate color rather than the customer leading you. Most of our gallon customers work with less than 10 colors. However, Grout Perfect® is currently working on a kit that will allow you, the service provider, to adjust the many shades of grays, tans and blushes in small amounts for bathroom floors and showers and it should be available within the next 90 days. Then, at least, you will be using a product with a successful history.

MikeS

And since this is the MB, personal attacks are encouraged.
I don't really see the value in personal attacks. The fact that Dick is an old, corpulent, ugly, ill-tempered, mean spirited, foul smelling, microphallic, knuckle dragging, puppy kicking used car salesman has nothing to do with the fact that his new formula has shelf life and adhesion problems.

:mrgreen: Just kidding Dick! Love ya! No proof you ever kicked a puppy.

UPDATE: Just in case anybody didn't get it, all of the above was a joke. I met Dick a couple of times and he seems like a nice enough guy who has helped more than a few people out in his day. I have nothing against him personally and have never seriously claimed anything was wrong with his product.

I'm sure everyone here knows to take everything a vendor says about their own product, and the competition with a grain of salt. But we both can provide some insight about the industry in between the cat fights.

MikeS

GROUT PERFECT said:
However, Grout Perfect® is currently working on a kit that will allow you, the service provider, to adjust the many shades of grays, tans and blushes in small amounts for bathroom floors and showers and it should be available within the next 90 days.
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
after today's experience I gotta get ColorClad ordered very soon. I went out to estimate a t/g clean job...noticed it had been colorsealed with a light color over a darker color after testing. the custy told me she had been mopping with vinegar and water for the past 3 years, so the colorseal is degrading. this job needs to be cleaned, then touched up. my question to everyone is: how am i gonna get the same exact color on this job? well...if i can mix and match the color right there, I should be able to get the job done without hoping i get the right color on a chart/plastic stick and waiting for the shipment correct? am i wrong?

GROUT PERFECT

Name
Dick Pollock
Busy Bee wrote:"so the colorseal is degrading. this job needs to be cleaned, then touched up"

The problem is if you try to match the color to compromised grout stain in a short time it will look patched. The new coating, and I use that term loosely if you are going to use an unproven product such as the one you suggested in your post, will lose color faster than the old stain you are trying to match.

The best thing to do with this floor is ColorSeal the entire floor with a proven product such as Grout Perfect ColorSeal, TOG Sealer or Grout Armor Sealer.

MikeS

GROUT PERFECT said:
The new coating ... will lose color faster than the old stain you are trying to match.
Not sure how he would know that since the original colorseal is unidentified and he has no experience with ColorClad. More likely, if anything, the opposite could happen if they keep mopping with vinegar. ColorClad does not use the organic pigments found in some other coatings that are subject to degradation from acid. Some of these "match any color" systems use the same tints as Walmart does for wall paint and often they do not hold up too well, depending on the color.

GROUT PERFECT said:
The best thing to do with this floor is ColorSeal the entire floor with a proven product such as Grout Perfect ColorSeal, TOG Sealer or Grout Armor Sealer.
GP's "all new formula" [http://groutperfect.com/grout-press-release.html]came out about the same time as ColorClad was released to the public. Not sure if/when the others have been revised.

I'm guessing Busy Bee is smart enough to know that a complete re-color is the best solution, but it's nice to have an option.

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey Mike

Please do not come on here spreading lies about GP.
As far as I know there have been zero adhesion issues and or shelf life problems with the product.

AAndI already told you that we don't allow free advertising so please remove company logos and links from your profile and signiture

Thanks

MikeS

Mikey P said:
Please do not come on here spreading lies about GP.
As far as I know there have been zero adhesion issues and or shelf life problems with the product.
Sorry. I updated the post to make it clear I was joking. Art goaded me into it. :cry:

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Thanks for the replies Dick and Mike. We're gonna do a full strip in the main area and lightly clean the other small areas with neutral and hope no colorseal comes out. The color is Buff, I think, not totally sure though, but I really feel that this is a situation where being able to mix/match the colors right there will really help.

Gary T

Don't use a turbo to clean grout!!!!!! GP says its bad, bad, bad!!!!!!!! Never been a big fan of BSers.

GROUT PERFECT

Name
Dick Pollock
Grout Perfect has nothing to gain or loose if you use a turbo or high pressure, we are merely pointing out potential problems.

Gary T

Go read your own BS. We went over this before. I don't have any use for people who use "scare marketing"

Research shows Sanded grout is a porous and brittle material used between ceramic tiles for esthetics, not strength.
Not true. Who's research? Grout isn't only there to look pretty. It helps hold the tiles in place every bit as much as the thinset does. What is "esthetics" anyway?

High-pressure surface cleaning will actually loosen and remove the sand in the grout through "Hydrostatic Vibration and Erosion"
By use of the word WILL, you are not pointing out POTENTIAL anything. You are saying it is a certainty.

Therefore, repeated high-pressure (500+ p.s.i.) cleaning and/or rinsing can do nothing but loosen and eventually remove the grout
. God I wish it were that easy to remove grout!!

REMEMBER: Square blocks of aluminum are carved into round wheels for cars and motorcycles by jets of water!
Really? So I'm going to take my Turbo and start water jetting myself some sweet spinners. I'll make you a set with BS etched right in the middle with my Raptor.

After reading your site, which it sounds like you haven't in a while, it sure sounds like you are dead set against any high pressure cleaning methods. Especially if you are going to bring in a 90,000 PSI water jet to do the cleaning after making some nice rims.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom