Concrete Cleaning Process, Chems?

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Hub' started by GreenTechAgain, Dec 18, 2016.

1. GreenTechAgain
    GreenTechAgain

Name:
    Ross Martin
    Just did a concrete cleaning job. Removed a LOT of dirt and the concrete brighten up.

But, I was not completely happy with the results. A lot of stains, etc were not completely removed.

This was a warehouse, not a greasy oil-stained garage.

Don't do much of this and not looking to buy new tools. Just want to improve results with my current setup.

What I did:
    Pre-spray with tile cleaner with oxidizer.
    Pre-sprayed grease, tape lines with de-greaser.
    Scrub with 175 and Black scrub pad, dwell.
    Tile spinner clean pass.
    Final rinse tile spinner.

What can I change to improve results? Chems?

Thanks.

Back section cleaned, not final rinsed:
    15590477_10210369660971810_7457731283848356510_n.jpg
  2. Mark Saiger
    Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!

Name:
    Mark Saiger
    Concrete stains and also changes color over time.

I would say your procedure was very well thought out for best results

If doing a lot of concrete cleaning there are larger concrete blasting turbo and pressure washing set ups... But that's another investment.
    CPS Dave likes this.
  3. Mark Saiger
    Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!

Name:
    Mark Saiger
    Adding a concrete wheel kit would maybe make cleaning easier with your turbo. They make these for the Turbo Force TH 40

GreenTechAgain likes this.
  4. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    You did all you could do with what you have.
  5. Jim Nazarian
    Jim Nazarian

Name:
    Jim Nazarian
    CPS Dave and Desk Jockey like this.
  6. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    I think Fred should do a search for Power Washers and get them over here.
  7. Larry Cobb
    Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
    Larry Cobb
    This is our Dynachem TM @ 230' plus PowerMaxwith oxidizer:

ConcretCln.jpg
  8. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

I AM MIGHTY

Name:
    Primo
    When its big open areas you are much better off renting a walk behind scrubber, battery operated. It will increase your production rates to easily cover the cost of rental.

Combined with hotter juice it should also deliver a better end product too.
  9. Willy P
    Willy P

Name:
    Willy P
    Scarifying.
  10. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Larry Cobb, do you sell a softwash product?
  11. SuperDave212
    SuperDave212

Name:
    David
    I price as an option to seal with a glossy concrete sealer and I add a grey pigment to it....hides all the goofy stuff....
  12. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
  13. SteveCleans
    SteveCleans

Name:
    steve Dobson
    Cleaning an occasional small area of concrete is fine with a TM/turbo tool. If you're going to clean any large square footage, it's a whole different investment and a whole different animal. I clean carpets every morning. And I clean concrete and exterior work every afternoon. Two totally different scenarios.

IMG_4441.PNG
    hogjowl and Mark Saiger like this.
  14. SteveCleans
    SteveCleans

Name:
    steve Dobson
    When you do any type of concrete cleaning, which is referred to as surface cleaning, pressure means nothing. Don't let anybody tell you it does. It's all about flow, GPM. The above picture you see is a 2 foot surface cleaner that's being driven by 2500 psi in about 8-10 gallons a minute. That's high flow but low pressure actually. But it's much more powerful than 4500 psi in 5 gallons a minute, although you would not think that it would be. When you use that much flow or GPM's, you will need to have a buffer tank because you were drawing more than a home or business water supply can supply. So it requires trailers and buffer tanks, etc. To turn the jets on a pro surface cleaner you're looking at almost 5–6 GPM minimum fm a pressure washer. An 8–10 GPM PW , preferable, will cost $4000 +. Surface cleaners, trailers etc. are on top of that. As I tell everybody that comes to shadow my work, welcome to the big leagues. :-) But for small concrete jobs that are very occasional, you can get away with a turbo tool & 1000 PSI. It's just very very slow. The driveway in the picture above this post I think was 10 feet by about 220. With my Tools I cleaned that from dirty to looking brand-new in about 40 minutes. - $300 . do the math on why am on the outside working and only doing carpets until noon. Cheers
  15. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    IMG_1863.JPG
    Volume is great and comes at a cost. This is 3.5 gpm at 3200psi. Enough to cut, but fairly slow. But, if that's what you have, that's what you have.
    That particular driveway took forever.
    Mark Saiger and Bob Pruitt like this.
  16. SteveCleans
    SteveCleans

Name:
    steve Dobson
    Yes I totally understand that. Sometimes we're at the mercy of our tools and we have to try to make things work. Slow gets it done though--it's just that… Slow :-)
    Cheers!
  17. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    I think that your rig has a tremendous advantage; the lower pressure. How many surfaces have you seen that were blasted so hard, so often, they are degraded and aged by decades?
  18. SteveCleans
    SteveCleans

Name:
    steve Dobson
    On concrete it never matters because you cannot damage it with high-pressure. It will sustain much more. The damage on concrete around here stems from all the salt's and stuff in the winter. With that said I wash about 90 homes a year. High-end houses where i do the roof and windows and screens and all of the siding, concrete from the chimney to the mailbox by the road. When I wash the house I use this low pressure washer 2500, 5.6 gpm, . But I only run about 250 psi. It's called 'tipping down' .... you cannot change the flow or the gallons per minute that the machine is putting out, but you change the pressure by changing the tip orifice, very safe for the machine as each tip is designed for that particular GPM/psi machine. and it's done in a matter of two seconds. For instance I can be's rinsing my pre-spray off of the vinyl on a house around the window with a tip that has 100 psi, very safe, and then I could switch up to 250 psi and go back to rinsing vinyl in the open area. And then I could drop in a tip that has 1000 PSI and cut in the driveway concrete where the block foundation meets the concrete, before I hook up a surface cleaner and do the concrete which will be at 3000 PSI and 8–10 GPM . 99% of pressure washing companies do not understand the premise of tipping down. that's why I have a schedule full of people wanting to come here and work with me. Respectfully. I will be having a fest in the spring and having eight or 10 people here for couple days. We will do traditional and pure water window cleaning, we will do some roofs . Acid wash some gutters, soft wash some houses and do some service cleaning. My shop is a dream for carpet cleaners are exterior house wash people so it's like a festival of tools, and I mean the modern cream of the crop tools. I'm blessed. Sorry to ramble. I love to talk shop and I talk into my iPad so it is adds up real quick.
    Mark Saiger and hogjowl like this.
  19. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Nothing wrong with loving your craft.
  20. SteveCleans
    SteveCleans

Name:
    steve Dobson
    You asked about softwash above, I get a lot of my stuff from the power wash store up north of Milwaukee. Pressuretek.com (bob) is an industry favorite (ohio) check out his website. Soft wash is just a tool in the box. Like carpet cleaning you need a CRB, rotary, wand, etc. different tools for different situations. I have been so successful and in demand on the outside because I take the carpet cleaning mentality ( prespray, scrub & rinse) to the outside. It's a very interesting concept. people want clean but they also want safe.