Concrete stains help

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
These red stains were caused by the caterers, first I used Prosoco's poultice (Stand Off Oil & Stain Remover) thinking it should easily bring up what I thought were grease stains, after 24 hours no improvement :headscratch:, went ahead & cleaned the garage with 2790 & scrubbed with my 175 & restored the garage except for these red stains that I need to get out, any other products I can try? This is a VIP customer.

Pics taken after cleanings.
IMG_1002.jpg IMG_0999.jpg IMG_1001.jpg

Bryan Thomson

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
Try an acid concrete, tile and grout brightener at 1:2 / 64 oz per gl.....apply and agitate with 175 and super abrasive black pad......extract 1000-1200 psi.
Might take more the one application.

Looks like battery acid rust

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Agree, looks like battery acid or radiator rust but spots appeared after caterers used the garage for their kitchen for a wedding, house manager said fish & chicken type of dishes were prepared...I even asked if curry was used.

I doubt these cars leak much :biggrin:. Spots are below the trunks of the cars.
IMG_0982.jpg

Bryan Thomson

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
Still need to use an acid cleaner to open up the pores / etch the concrete to allow the stain to be removed.
If it is rust the acid will change the rust to a color less molecule.
It will etch the surface but look much better then the stain.
Manage the expectations with the customer as it could be a permanent stain.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Still need to use an acid cleaner to open up the pores / etch the concrete to allow the stain to be removed.
If it is rust the acid will change the rust to a color less molecule.
It will etch the surface but look much better then the stain.
Manage the expectations with the customer as it could be a permanent stain.
Ok, I will try the "acid etch" followed by poultice tomorrow, I have some Aqua Mix Poultice also & will set up testing area & leave the poultices over the weekend.

Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Mikey P

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
}acid wash as mention as mentioned by Bryan, manage contact time of acid and have some plan for if the acid etch (clouds) the concrete. We have 3m diamond pads to add some "polish" back to the concrete.

I would not go with a super low ph gallon to gallon or 1 to 1 right off the bat, start a little more diluted until you have the right mix you need.

And dry it as fast a possible after extracting if acid wash was successful.

Reactions: Jim Nazarian

Bryan Thomson

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
Agree and make sure to agitate immediately after applying acid......good strong concrete has a pH 0f 12-13 meaning it will start to neutralize the acid on contact.....agitating immediately will assure you get the full impact of the cleaner. If there is any whitish residue after it drys......use a 13 pH to neutralize residue. With stains that dark I usually start at 1:4 but it seems that it doesn't move until you get to 1:3 or 1:2....But I agree with previous post......start conversative and move more aggressive in dilution, pH or agitation.

Bryan Thomson

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
The only thing I know about acid stained concrete is NEVER get any acid cleaner near it......it will make black spots on it....and sometimes it has an epoxy coat over it......Clean it with neutral cleaners and don't use any colored pad above red to top scrub.... other then that.....I don't know anything about application.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Raising the white flag in this battle.

Tried 2 different acids followed by 2790, 175 scrubbed & spots looked the same :hopeless:.

Homeowner was expected to return home so I didn't want to leave 150 white poultice spots that I felt weren't going to help anyways, I think she got restoration type garage of cleaning for free, we were there for the last 3 days cleaning inside & out & she has been a great client for 25 years so no biggie.

I am still determined to get the stains out, I hate admitting defeat.

Reactions: Newman

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I doubt that it is battery acid staining. Most modern battery's don't leak. It could be transmission oil, (that's red) or if the caterers caused it, it is probably a food issue.
curry, red wine, some other type of food coloring. Maybe try a hydrogen peroxide treatment and see what happens.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
BBQ sauce?

Could've been hot when dripped. Id ask the caterer what was served.
Differently drips from sauce or grease that I thought the poultice would bring up since they are less then a month old, didn't think it be this difficult.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Since its concrete I would of tried bleach first especially if I thought it was a food stain. If 2790 , which is basically lye, didn't remove it probably wouldn't of mattered.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom