Convenience Store VCT Job

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Just got a call to provide an estimate for a 1100 SF VCT Strip & Wax at a local convenience store. Mostly isle ways and shelving (which stays in place) and end caps will need moved to clean under and double coat with some finish. Work to be done after 11pm when closed and have to be dry for reopen by 5am. I could strip it one night, and wax 2nd night after a good rescrub. Only 5 miles from home. I would provide all materials, equipment, labor etc. 3 of our guys will do this.

Its such a busy space going around everything, not the most efficient floor plan to refinish. Lots of edging to do with dirt kegged around edges.

What would you charge? How would you approach this from a process. One night, two nights Working an odd shift like this could mess up one to two days working during the day.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
As Marty said it will not be worth the hassle. I don't have any idea how young ;) you are, but after 50 all the overnight work was VERY profitable or passed to a young hungry competitor.

Reactions: Bryan S. Bennett

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
I have to look but I did these 4 years ago and if I'm not mistaken charged them 1600. Two nights I did it in, Which I would do it again at that price just wondering what others would do something like this for. Definitely not a 40 or 70 cent job as far as I'm concerned. Too much handwork. I'm 46 but I will do it on occasion.

Name
Lee Stockwell
In 75 to 77 I had a route of them. Kwik Pik Stores. ALWAYS finish same night, 3 coats finish. That was slightly before the era of propane buffers and a sea change in vct maintenance.

We used many Patton fans and cranked the hvac fans and system as well (never mind waves and runs in the finish).

I had a buddy's propane machine we later shared, but at that time many places wouldn't let us use them.

ps. No WAY in hades I'd do them again.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
2100 SF @ 1 a square. Mall offices. 5 coats, two 7 hour nights. Doodlebug and scraped edges. It was a mess with top coats over filth,but the dough was good. Don 't do a pile. I hate and I MEAN HATE!!! night work. Most won't pay me what I want either. Don't care.

20150322_203238_zpsy5jqwuos.jpg

20150322_204319_zpshwzdhlnm.jpg

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Looks great!
How many guy's and how many offices did you do?
1 other guy 3 part offices -the rest was carpeted, and all common areas. I get a monthly wash and buff for common areas for another $175 :smile:. Takes a little over an hour. I just stuck a $1500 cheque in the bank for a 3000 sf clean and top coat at a school. 12 hours, 2 guys, they supplied the finish. They strip and refinish yearly and clean and top coat twice a year. I'd still rather clean carpet, but positive cash flow is positive cash flow. My work doesn't turn out too bad for a self taught guy.

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Although it looks GREAT as it is, it will last much longer if you wet buff it down with a 1500 or propane using a 3300 natural white 3M pad. Spray bottle with 3-4 oz finish and the rest water.

It will really pop while being substantially harder to scuff.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
2guys did 4000 ft sat 4coats of wax in 8hours
Depends what ya got to work with

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
1000 ft u should be able to do In A nite easy
I would make it worth my while for sure

Willy P

Name
Willy P
12 hours 2 guys to clean and recoat?
The standard is 1000 sq ft per hr per 3 person crew to strip and re-finish.

It was a school with lots of furniture to move. I scrub with a 175, neutral rinse, clear water rinse and 2-3 coats., and yes Lee, I do buff it up when it's had at least 2 days to harden.

Name
Lee Stockwell
It was a school with lots of furniture to move. I scrub with a 175, neutral rinse, clear water rinse and 2-3 coats., and yes Lee, I do buff it up when it's had at least 2 days to harden.
I used to wait that long, until I found we could get excellent results same night. Make sure to use a NEW white pad, minimal pressure and mist as noted above. The heat from the buffer speeds "curing" as some call it.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Probably shouldn't have cited an ISSA standard from 1984.
Todays VCT standard should be faster. The equipment needed is basic. It's in the chemistry.
You don't see the floors that have been spray buffed and waxed every week to keep the dirt glossy.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

erikvctpro

Name
Erik
One should average with a 13 inch pad 300 sq feet per hour. Six hours is more than enough time if you have good air flow (opening doors to coolers helps). 100% solid content is usually 4 coats but 5 if you have 20% solid content.

Let the stripper do the work for you. A good high productivity black pad will eat through many layers of wax and last you through 2000 sq feet using both sides. It helps to have a tank on your machine to drop water so you do not gunk up the pad with wax.

Each coat takes thirty minutes under good drying conditions. If you're using 25% solid content, it's two hours dry time.

Never leave a stripped floor for a day. Always put at least a coat. If someone walks on it they'll leave a print that has to be scrubbed out. On one coat it can be scrubbed out with your wax mop as you are going along. Never ever leave a bare floor or you'll be working more than you should be.

Reactions: Bryan S. Bennett

erikvctpro

Name
Erik
One of many. I do these alone because cleaning up after others becomes counter productive.

image.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Yes that's master status. Love to know what products you use. Were those new tiles or did you restore them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom