COST of running a TM

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
So if i were to figure a cost per hr for a TM what would it be???

Gas aside, we all know that the 18hp-ish models are around a gallon an hr, so thats easy.

But what about oil changes, repair/replacement of parts, replacement of machine, etc...

what do you figure it costs...$10,$15, more??

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I'm not aware of a non EFI machine getting 1 gal per hour. Your not even going to get that with an EFI machine.

Maybe someone can shed more light on fuel consumption, but I sure don't know of any getting a gallon a hour.

Greg Loe

$10 - $15? lol. add insurance just to start, cost of van, cost of equipment, oh, a big one, taxes, maintenance, payroll, vacation, chemicals, cleaning and spotting, advertising, memberships, marketing, classes, travel to classes, lunches, snacks, drinks, clothes, shoes....................................

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
my Avenger 450 is about a gallon an hr. My Apex is around 2 per.

Oil changes, air filters, grease, lubricater total less than $100 a year I would say. I haven't had to replace parts in either machine with the exception of a belt and even then less than $100 total for the year. My rotary has had to have a few adjustments and my old one needed a new motor that cost a lot more

Ricky Thurman

Greg Loe=
he asked just those costs associated with operating a TM....not your entire cost of doing business.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Scott Warrington (i think) did a hypothetical break down once, based on a $15K TM that would be replaced in 4? 5? years.

if i recall right, it was in the neighborhood of $10/12 bukz pr hour.

Think Rich Chaves punched it into his spread sheet software and came up with a similar figure.

Your mileage may vary according to TM price, fuel used and when you plan to turn it over.

as far as fuel usage, Micah, my 25hp Kohler in my Powermatic got 1 to 1.1 GPH when run at 2900rpm and 11HG.(factory settings)

I've since cranked the HG to 14 and run at 3100 to 3200 RPM now and fuel usage has gone up to 1.25 to 1.5 GPH now

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
that is a question that most will have a different answer for..........

not everyone pays the same amount for different situations.....

Me and a few others on the boards run the same machines but due to set up and the way we run.our cost will be way different from one another.....

For a type of example....(and for you old women who pick post apart.yes I know he said not gas)..

I don't have to fire up my truck and machine to set up and pre-spray my first areas on each job........unlike some who have to fire it up and drag in the hose just to pre-spray......so I am adding up a chunk of savings over a period of time.so it cost me less to run.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
The $12/hour number is a good one to work with. Whenever I go back to punch in the numbers, it always comes out near this.

Send Jeff Cross an email. He's got a simple spreadsheet that will help you out.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I am trying to figure it out for a job i do, with another guy who got the acct and helps work and we split it 50-50 after expenses...(which i am going to change for various reasons)

so i was trying to figure it for each time I worked there...IE, 1 time took 3 hrs, another was 4.5, another was 2 etc.

So i figured with fuel and propane included it was around 15-20 an hr...

looks like i was about right on...

and no greg, i didnt ask how much you need to make to run the biz...only the machine AT the job.

The Preacher

just say $20 per hour and roll with it, this ai't rocket science unless yore running a SOA/NASA TM!!!

TimP

Danny Strickland said:
just say $20 per hour and roll with it, this ai't rocket science unless yore running a SOA/NASA TM!!!

My TM is on that list under the Mohawk name(i don't think there is a difference) .....so what should I do since it's rocket science for me :roll:

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Thanks Meat for the heads up. I have a hard time getting feedback from my guys. Seems most don't track that.

I figured it was more than that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom