Crackin the whip with Bryan OHaleck.

Mikey P

Administrator
-How did you get the Top Dog spot at DA Burns?

-Describe your best tech and what it took to make him so.

-How many trucks, one or two men/women, how many jobs a day and job average please.

-What percentage of your biz is on location, draperies, rugs and or other services.

-If not this job, what?

-Are you still using an Airpath ('s) on every job?

-Why won't you let the chimps use glides?

-What ill effects on your health are due to having to deal with John Watson on a monthly basis?

-and who is DA Burns?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
-How did you get the Top Dog spot at DA Burns? I just work here.

-Describe your best tech and what it took to make him so. The best techs are the ones that figuratively stand shoulder to shoulder with customers and coworkers to solve problems. If they have an eye for detail and understand a service-first mentality, we can teach them the rest.

-How many trucks, one or two men/women, how many jobs a day and job average please. 17 cleaning vans, one man (currently no women as techs) crews. We dropped our jobs per day average from 4.7 to 4.2 per truck per day to improve service quality. I haven’t looked at a report lately, but by dollars the average on-location cleaning job would be somewhere between $250 and $300.

-What percentage of your biz is on location, draperies, rugs and or other services. 50% on-location carpet and upholstery cleaning, around 10% custom carpet fabrication and hand-repair work, the remainder in-plant rug cleaning. We dropped drapery cleaning a few years ago due to both regulatory pressures and pleated draperies falling out of style.

-If not this job, what? I went to college with the intent to become an architect, but was frightened away while working summer constructions jobs and meeting tradespeople that had put in their seven years and were working pounding nails because it paid better. I guess I could flip houses, but would have to learn how to do everything “close enough” and just hide problems so I could actually make money at it.

-Are you still using an Airpath ('s) on every job? Yes.

-Why won't you let the chimps use glides? We have smart guys on our staff, but human nature is to use the easiest method possible, even when it would be the wrong thing to do. Rather than have to deal with a tech that might explain to a customer why something isn’t as clean as it could be, I’d rather not offer the option.

-What ill effects on your health are due to having to deal with John Watson on a monthly basis? John’s terrific. Maybe since I’m such a wallflower I love people that have an excess amount of personality.

-and who is DA Burns? Company history? Dave Burns senior and junior started the company in 1935. Dave Jr. was instrumental in establishing the “Take care of the customer, they’ll care about the company, and the company can provide a good living for you.” philosophy that we still work by. He was also instrumental in founding the CCINW, the CFI, and the Alberta CCA, and was famous for sharing information freely. Today we’re the local market leader in our chosen fields, targeting the mid to high end market.

Ernie G

Brian is what is right about this industry, people like him make me proud to be a carpet cleaner. He is always willing to share and help others, a great role model for young guys coming up in the busn. I have known Brian many years and consider him a good friend. He refers busn. to us and we try to do the same. Brian has great knowledge of the industry, and is a real sharp guy. D.A. Burns is definitely a great company, with a respected reputation in our area.

Name
I'm Rick James
I agree with Ernie, I have heard alot of good things about Burns over the years. I have known people over the years that have worked there and they say its a first class operation. I have never met Brian, but I am planning on joining CCINW next year and might bump into him, john and a few other first class local cleaners. Ernie also has a very respectable company that is top quality. Im sure your loving all that snow out in woodinville. I got about 2 feet here.

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks Bryan, that was great.

I was skeert that your delay meant I stepped over the line with my questions.

It's a pleasure having you here.

especially since we tossed that damn creepy avatar.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I believe our founders use to hang out together at NIRC/AIDS meetings in the 60's Bryan. Haroutun (Harry) Hagopian died in '78 2 years before I started with the company. Like Mr Burns, he stumbled into the industry and created a legacy brand. I have always wished I had a chance to meet one of the pioneers of the rug cleaning industry like him or Mr Burns.

Ken

Mikey P

Administrator
Bryan,

You sort of avoided telling us how you really got the Chief Wigams gig.

Don't tell us you had to marry in like Snow did?

John Watson

Dave Jr was a pillar in indusrty and one of the main founders of our trade assoc. Many would have loved to emulate him and his operation. We are so fortunate for people like Richard Dix and Bryan to come under his toutaledge. His legacy lives on..

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Rather than marry in, I took the easier route and worked at it. I started as a temp on a big commercial job, became a delivery driver, and just listened as much as people were willing to talk.

Sorry you never got to meet the real old-timers Ken. The current old-timers are their kids. Working with some of the best in the business certainly helps with perspective; you remember that everyone knows something you don't, and a lot of the guys that did much for the industry in the past were big personalities. Guys that might be considered pretty colorful. Some maybe even the Crazy Georges of their day before they got their square corners smoothed off.
Partyfolks.jpg
A Mikeyfest of the fifties.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I think I've picked up more information from you than you from me.

PS: Mike, now that I know you get creeped, I have a whole world of avatar possiblities.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom