Custom Squeegee

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by cleanking, Oct 28, 2016.

1. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    R18.jpg

Anyone have a source for having custom squeegees made? I'd like it to be designed just about like this one, but 30" wide and angled slightly upright to make it more user friendly. Same polyethylene blade material and construction.
  2. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Shocked that a guru doesnt offer customs already

I made one when I was washing... Cant recall how..
    cleanking likes this.
  3. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

I AM SPARTACUS

Name:
    SPARTACUS
    If you haven't already looked, Jondon has more than a dozen on their website. Different lengths, types of material and different manufacturers.
  4. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    It's not a floor squeegee. It's for moving water off and out of a rug on the wash floor, they work well for us but for room sized rugs it would be great for it to be wider and the angle could be better to require less leaning over to leverage the pushing.

Needs to be that hard, polyethylene blade to push easily over the rug, I've tried rubber ones and they just snag too much
    Desk Jockey likes this.
  5. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    I agree, a lot of people have mentioned wanting these redesigned. Braun Brush sells the one above and they make custom brushes, my first thought was to contact them about making a custom size. Even just a wider blade that could be attached to this mount would work well.
  6. Ron K
    Ron K

Jordon Email me rhkoller@gmail.com I'll gladly send you a picture of the one I made.
    Although too wide and you get "chatter"
    Have some pictures of other smaller ones too that may be adapted to that size.
  7. Papa John
    Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member

Name:
    John Stewart
    Masterblend has one. Or you can make your own. home depot will have the handle and squeegee bracket. you can get the plastic head from Tab plastics or similar store, or use a scrap piece of Corian.
  8. Nate The Great
    Nate The Great

Name:
    Nate W.
    If I recall a conversation I had with @The Great Oz , he told me the wider you go on the squeegee, the less force you get and just skims the surface... I do like some designs I've seen in youtube videos... The metal ones that look like a backscratcher-ish... I've been using the rubber squeegee one because I'd keep breaking the handles with the poly one you posted...

It's a give and take IMHO on the squeegee's... The wider you go = skimming the surface more.... The narrower you go = less coverage but more bite...

I really would like a more ergonomically correct one so I don't need to bend-over soo much... LMK if you do find one or have one made...

This video is the one I was talking about...
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    cleanking likes this.
  9. T Monahan
    T Monahan

Supportive Member

Name:
    Tom Monahan
    OK gents! I will make some. Give me your best guess on what you want for size, and I will make the first ones at cost and send them to you.
    cleanking likes this.
  10. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    http://www.brush.com/ss5-22350.html

This is the handle you want. Get the 72" you'll never regret it. Heavy enough and rigid enough that it helps slide right through the rug, no chatter.
    Nate The Great likes this.
  11. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    The stock ones are an 18" wide blade, I think 30" could be perfect. Also making the threaded handle part extra strong, that seems to be the place these fail (especially the ones with this plastic brackets from Adco Supply in CO).

The angle could be improved as well, so you don't have to lower the handle as much to get the blade to slide and not stick. Just a couple tweaks and it could be improved upon dramatically IMO. I believe @rhyde had some opinions as well in another forum posted a while back.
  12. rhyde
    rhyde

Name:
    rhyde
    Braun brush will make you a 30" if you want it's what we did. I would go to tap to lactic and have a custom blade mad for it cost about 10 bucks . The issue we had with stock plastic is its tapered from Braun they flexed too much and bind up On the rug and Causes the socket to breaks. I'm doing a run of the ones we make for our shop mostly for a giveaway at ICE and for a few others that ask probably cost 60 -70 not sure I want to make it a full time job
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Nate The Great likes this.
  13. Ron K
    Ron K

The key is the radius on the bottom and the thickness of the plastic. I used 3/8 white vanilla plastic the radius was almost the entire width. I think a you can use the braces from a push broom. Use larger angle iron the entire length of the blade to stabiles the wobble/chatter. Wood handle is fine.Put a nice radius on the bottom corners where the blade meets the rugs too it prevents snags, If you really like the 18 or 24 just replace or screw on your desired length of plastic. There are some videos out there from India I think of like four or five guys "really scrapping" a new rug, in time, really rhythmically with what look like wooden paddles.
  14. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    Would it come with the threaded handle bracket like the stock one does? Pairing these with the Braun stainless handle seems to make them perform much better.

I'd definitely be in for 2.
  15. Chris A
    Chris A

Name:
    Chris
    I got mine from chemmax, it's about 30" wide
  16. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
  17. Chris A
    Chris A

Name:
    Chris
    Eh, what do I know
  18. rhyde
    rhyde

Name:
    rhyde
    We use unthreaded sockets the treads ones wear and don't last as long ...Imo

I'm still in Iran Kashan to be exact when I get back next week I'll post some pics
    Nate The Great and cleanking like this.
  19. Ron K
    Ron K

Jordan, if you post the pictures I sent you they are exactly the same as Randy's.
  20. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    I cannot find this email anywhere, I see the email I sent you but I can find the one with the pictures you sent.