Customer Removing Stain with UV Light

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Cleaner Removing Stain with UV Light

Rob Decker sent me these photos of a difficult brown dye stain he removed with an oxidizer and our UV light with tripod:

View attachment 2528View attachment 2529View attachment 2530

He tried the oxidizer first, but it only lightened the stain.

DuPont pioneered this idea, for difficult stains like mustard, etc.

Larry

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Tom;

The oxidizer is prepared for the stain intensity.

We use our DC Liquid Brightener (12% peroxide) at half strength (6%).

It is applied to the stain, and the UV light with Tripod is allowed to irradiate the stain for a few minutes.

This is another example we did with mustard:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/uvstain.html

DuPont found that the UV light plus oxidizer could remove stains that oxidizer alone could not (without pulling color).

Larry

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That's great Larry and it looks good. Since the oxidizer, being a liquid, can not be limited exactly to stain area:

1) What happens to other areas that did not have the stain yet get the oxidizer and light exposure?
2) What happens to area exposed to light without oxidizer?
3) What happens in case of over light exposure?
4) Since Dupont likes it, will it void the warranty?

Last edited:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
That's great Larry and it looks good. Since the oxidizer, being a liquid, can not be limited exactly to stain area:

1) What happens to other areas that did not have the stain yet get the oxidizer and light exposure?

Ofer, most of the stains that would require the UV light ( such as mustard) are not warrenteed stains then it is a moot point.

Reactions: SamIam and Shorty

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ofer, most of the stains that would require the UV light ( such as mustard) are not warrenteed stains then it is a moot point.

The issue of warranties have been discussed here in the past with some in agreement to your point Bill. And the same can be said about the validity of a signed release of liability.
However,if you remove the stain and in the process produce a new dye loss stain, the point may not be moot.

Any answers in regard to the rest of my questions?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

We have used the UV light and Oxidizer at several spotting contests (about 30 inexperienced contestants altogether).

Nobody has lightened the original dye color in the carpet.

With the 6% peroxide concentration . . .

the chance of dye damage is very sIight.

Larry

Reactions: Shorty and ruff

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
We have used the UV light and Oxidizer at several spotting contests (about 30 inexperienced contestants altogether).

What wouldbe the correct dilution ratio when using your Powdered Brightener with your UVlight? How do I make a 6% peroxide concentration?<o:p></o:p>

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

What would be the correct dilution ratio when using your Powdered Brightener with your UVlight? How do I make a 6% peroxide concentration?<o:p></o>

The Dynachem Powder Brightener is equivalent to 22% peroxide by weight.

I would use 8 to 9 oz. of Power Brightener added to hot water to make a quart of spotter,

in a open gallon container (for oxygen expansion) .

(or 4.5oz. Powder Brightener to make a pint of solution with hot water)

Larry

Reactions: Desk Jockey

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Good thread. I have some stains from the rubber feet on drums in a customers house. The carpets white and the stains are purple. I used a little bleach on a Q-tip but it didn't touch it.

Gene

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
uv light works amazingly well for difficult stains like this. One time I had a bni realtor call me and say she spilled a whole take home container of food in her car. I was like ok no problem. What kind of food was it? Indian food... um what kind of indian food? It was curry ckicken! I was explaining to her that curry mustard is one of the hardest foods to remove and this might not work out to well. I showed up and she had curry stained carpet in the complete passenger area of her almost new car. I had a brilliant idea. I put oxidizder down and positioned her car for sunlight to hit the areas, actually had to position her car several times to get it all. The areas hit by sunlight the stains were disappearing and the areas that were not in direct sunlight had no removal at all. Eventually I was able to remove it all and I became an instant hero! I also have done a demo at a bni meeting using cobbs light and the results worked out great.

I have often thought of getting mirrors to direct sunlight to stains to remove them but it was a crazy idea that would be to much work.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
and for the person that asked about steamer or irons with oxidizer.... Do No Use use a heat with an oxidizer, it will remove color!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Is the uv light You sell Larry rechargeable? Any links to a product?

Why does the CTI light take hours and yours minutes?

I know theirs is $120.00ish and yours is $400.00 approx. does yours work faster cause it's that much stronger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Sam;

The "other" light uses older technology UV light sources with an inefficient reflector spread over 18".

Our "new LED technology" is much more efficient, and has better reflector system to concentrate the light.

Our newest UV light is to replace direct UV exposure from full sunlight !

I will be using that High-Intensity UV light at the Experience Event on April 24th here in Dallas:

View attachment 4354

Larry

Last edited:

Buck1955

Name
John
Just got the light, and tripod from Cobbs today. Nice light! Shoulda bought one along time ago. Guess I need the power brightener now too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom