Cutting down wand for yacht cleaning. What are the limitations of the rake of the tube?

Mrice

Name
Mat
I do large (50-80ft) yacht (sportfishing) boats sometimes. There is no room to turn around. I'd like to bend this wand up at the head a lot sharper so that it hits the carpet with the head flat and glides well...and so that it would be much closer to my feet (imagine cleaning in a closet, with walls you can't scratch). I'd move the valve holder and cut 12 to 20 inches off the end. I'm 6'1" if that matters.

At what point would the main tube be too steep? Would that cause it not extracting properly? I don't have extra wands to experiment with so once I cut this one I'm comitted. Thanks for any help.

PS. I just got back from the beach. 2017-06-15 20.41.44.jpg 2017-06-15 20.41.18.jpg 2017-06-15 20.39.47.jpg

Reactions: Lint Basket

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I don't see where altering the bend would affect the suction.

However; once bent, stainless can work-harden. You might consider taking a vacuum cleaner wand and do a full sized mockup. Buy an exhaust tube bender from Harbor Freight and tinker until it is perfect.

Then take the mockup to a good exhaust guy and have them cut, heat and bend your stainless wand.

Get it right and there may be a market for such a wand.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
At what point would the main tube be too steep? Would that cause it not extracting properly?

Test different angles to see how far you can go before you loose a good seal.

You should be able to hear and feel when the angle is too steep.

You may be able to modify a glide face to compensate.

Mrice

Name
Mat
Test different angles to see how far you can go before you loose a good seal.

You should be able to hear and feel when the angle is too steep.

You may be able to modify a glide face to compensate.

That's why I'm going to increase the angle of the bend at the head to keep the face flat...

I don't see where altering the bend would affect the suction.

However; once bent, stainless can work-harden. You might consider taking a vacuum cleaner wand and do a full sized mockup. Buy an exhaust tube bender from Harbor Freight and tinker until it is perfect.

Then take the mockup to a good exhaust guy and have them cut, heat and bend your stainless wand.

Get it right and there may be a market for such a wand.

At some point I feel it would be to steep. If you take it to an extreeme, a swooping 80 degree bend at the botom would have water comming nearly straight up...that's gotta slow down the process...I think.

Able 1

Name
Keith
You would be best off cutting down a 14" head wand(to stair tool size) and spend the whole 15 seconds on your knees.. And then have a kick ass stair tool also!

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Have you looked at this??

Might save a lot of cutting & welding + time.

Mytee 8300EZ 12inch Dual Jet Wand

upload_2017-6-16_14-0-8.png

:yoda:

Mrice

Name
Mat
You would be best off cutting down a 14" head wand(to stair tool size) and spend the whole 15 seconds on your knees.. And then have a kick ass stair tool also!
14" is way too wide.

Have you looked at this??

Might save a lot of cutting & welding + time.

Mytee 8300EZ 12inch Dual Jet Wand

View attachment 72864

:yoda:

Nice wand but it's about the same size as the one I have now. I'm hoping to make it more compact.

Name
Nate W.

If you do make sure you don't get a Titanium one shortened in Wisconsin........:icon_twisted:

Reactions: Able 1

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
I have had excellent results using my RVjr >StairPro< on many boats. Turns on a dime and we all know rotary trumps wand every time. I doubt many boats get anywhere near a proper vacuum with any regularity.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I clean some yachts, including one that is 120 ft long and some smaller cruisers about 40 ft. I find a basic aw29 works well. I also used several stair tools in some of the more confined areas.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You have to get away from the mind set of always pushing and pulling a wand . Just do pull back strokes and a pull back dry stroke. A smaller 12 inch with a swivel to get in and around corners would be great in my opinion. I've used my swivel stair tool to do Rv's.

hydracat

I had a friend cut down an old wand I had for the same reason, tight spaces. Unfortunately he welded the head on upside down. Never got around to fixing it.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Bruce
I have an old PMF 802 which looks to be the one in the picture, if you figure it out us know , I would also like to modify mine for boat cleaning. I have the PMF Mach 12 which is a little bit taller then the 802 and even harder to clean a 50ft boat.

Mrice

Name
Mat
It might take a little while but I'll post back here once I give it a shot. I was hoping someone would have some information on proper dynamics regarding to building a wand or at least in referrence to the rake. I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom