Did I do ok?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Listin' up here Josh...if YOU'D walked she woulda jus got some OTHER smuck to do it...RIGHT? So do the job put yor air dryer down and give her the bill........

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
And just to clarify you said: "I can't properly cut a seam", "I can't identify pad", "I don't take precautions not to damage walls", "I can't seam carpet", and "I feel that it cost to much to do the job properly".

Damm I don't mind you putting words in my mouth, but that's where I draw the limit dude! Words nothing else!!!

Seriously it's not that we can't do any of those, but by removing the pad you're increasing the odds for problems with all of these.

Sorry, after thousands of water jobs you will never convince me that top down is an acceptable method for drying a structure. I haven't met an adjuster yet that believes in it either and they are paying the bill.

You don't have to top down dry, to dry the pad.

We've spent several decades drying conventional method and almost always dried the pad with the exception of vapor barriers or contaminated where we removed it.

G

Fredrick, there's a reason why Chavez is a Moderator of this room and YOU are not.

WISE

First John Braun is a hack off craigslist and now Chavez doesn't know what he's doin. :shock:

Oh Freddie, you gotta long way to go my friend.

And to the topic of pad...we very rarely pull pad on a clean water loss. If you have an odor issue when you are done dryin, well then you ain't done dryin.

It seems several here enjoy the theoretical world.

Craig and Freddie--you both need to get over yourselves.

WISE

WISE

"I've been doing 2-3 water jobs a day for a loooong time. Nothing theoretical about it.

Odor is not just a symptom of material being wet. Go smell the clothes in your hamper."

I did. They stink. I can see clearly now how that applies to mitigation and drying procedures. :roll:

The fact that you were a water damage tech for a large restoration firm that always pulls pad does not preclude the possibility that there are different, yet equally effective, ways to handle various situations. In my opinion, pulling pad on every job is just another of the myriad of ways contractors can mulct additional dollars from carriers.

Best--

WISE

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Josh...give them the invoice that says Jashs Carpet Cleaning...an' jus write carpet cleaning on it wit no date....that'll cover yor ass.....!

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
adcomp said:
Were all materials below 16% MC and within 2% of the DS when you picked up your air mover?

Hey Fred, can I ask you to clarify please.

When I did ASD back in the days when it was strictly Dri-eaz and not an IICRC course, I thought it was 4% or local dry standard...

Was I wrong, or has it changed in the past few years?

Thanks heaps, John

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
adcomp said:
carpet padding I believe it should be considered CAT2 almost immediately. quote]

No offense but what you "believe" is irrelevant. Just because "you" believe something does not make it gospel or the standard. And certainly does not make anyone who sees it differently a hack.

I simply do not let adjusters tell me what to do.

Had it happen today, that is until the Flir came out and where they told the insured was dry and didnt need any drying turned out to be as blue as the sky.

I never have pulled a pad and I never will. If the contamination is bad enough to pull the pad, that carpet is out of there as well.

WISE

One last comment on this pad thread...

In general, on a clean water loss, the carpet and pad are not high on my list of concerns from a drying standpoint. Never been an issue.

As far as contaminants--
The critical point is this: Of course elapsed time is a primary consideration, but with proper drying you are eliminating a crucial component to microbial growth and proliferation.

WISE

G

Do you guys get urine jobs or what?

Let's say you get a call to clean some carpet in a residence. You get to the house and you notice a Rot or a Great Dane in the dog run. Wow, big dog!

Mrs. Piff answers the door and brings you into the foyer and she goes, "How much will you charge to clean my rugs?" You go, "Rugs? Don't you mean your carpet?" And she's all, "Yeah, my carpet." You ask her to show you the areas she wants cleaned and any areas that may need special attention. So she leads you down to the end of the hall and points to a problem area. She explains that he big dog just went pee a bunch right there.

What do you do?

"Oh, boy! Let's take up the carpet and replace the pad and cut out the drywall and remove the base board andsetanairmoverforaminimumof3daysandairscrubberandmoldinsuranceand......"

Every time the pad needs to be pulled we pull the carpet....period.
I advise the adjuster that we will not guarantee the reinstalation of a carpet that has been folded over when it was wet.To this date they have all agreed with my opinion.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have a hard time with our technicians that want set in stone "You do this on, this sort of loss, and we do it that way on this sort of loss" What you encounter on site dictates how you should handle it the loss.

WDR is a thinking man's game, you have to be on your toes at all times, looking at how best to process the loss.

I really think that pad thing is a regional deal. I know I can justify why I save it but if it only cause you head aches when you do, then I wouldn't either.

prodrying

I have heard all the excuses in the book for not saving the pad and they are all excuses.

We have been saving the pad on all clean water losses for 6 years now. If you can't dry carpet and pad in place then you can't dry much of anything. After we extract there is very little water left in the carpet and pad. We started a job yesterday at 4 am and when I arrived today at 9 am the carpet and pad was dry. That is 29 hours. No odor. Most of the walls and cabinets were dry too.

There is no way on God's green earth that pulling pad is cheaper than leaving it down. For one I am willing to bet that 90% of delamination is caused by the restoration company yanking the carpet off the tack strip. Then new carpet and pad is needed. You never have that problem with drying it in place.

Also, riding the hydro-x around the room is a heck of alot easier than pulling pad.

I get very little grief about drying the way I do. Since most of my work comes from vendor programs I tell the insureds that I am hear to dry the structure. The adjuster will be here after it is dry and assess the damages. If the carpet is damaged after it is dried then the adjuster will adress it then.

I just don't get why people still pull pad. I am alot less tired at the end of the day then I used to be. I am drying faster than ever and I make money drying and cleaning the carpet then I do pulling pad.

Another benefit for me is that since most companies rip things out and replace them then I have numerous adjusters that will call me direct and say I know you are the only ones in Houston that will not destroy this house. I get that call at least 5 times a month and it is growing because we dry things that can be dried and don't rip them out and replace them.

R.Chavez said:
Just curious. Why is it that some people always remove the pad? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that if you do a good job extracting, you should be able to dry with the pad in place and the pad will still dry faster than the walls, studs, etc.

We rarely remove pad on a clean water loss, it just dries so easily no reason unless the water is contaminated.

We will try to save those materials that are cost effective to save.
As little effort as it takes to dry the pad, versus remove and replace we almost always dry it.

Same here with the right extraction equipment pad removal is not necessarry........cat-1.

LeeCory

This has been an interesting thread. My response is going to be of just observation of what I have been reading and what I saw from just sitting through WRT at Boldens the past couple days.

First off I found it amazing that almost ALL of the guys in the WRT class (which is the beginner class) have been doing restoration for years. And I also found it amazing that many of them realized that they have been doing things the WRONG way.

I can tell from the posts those that have had recent training. Yes, experience goes a long way, but you can't argue with facts. There were some guys that were also contractors that would always lean towards "ripping it out" vs drying "in place".

Those that don't have confidence in their ability to dry in place when possible would benefit by taking an ASD course. With the right training, experience, and the CORRECT equipment you can dry stuff that many would rip out.

I start ASD on Monday and I am very excited! Someone said that only between 5 - 10% of all restorers have taken ASD. To be honest I am surprised at how many guys were taking WRT that are already in the business. I think there were only 2 or 3 of us that were newbies.

Josh, no you did not do the job correctly. However I understand what you did, because you did it like a carpet cleaner would do it. There is a big difference between doing it like a carpet cleaner and doing like a restorer, and until you take a course you won't know the differences.

I think my eyes have been opened..... I think I have been spinning my wheels as a carpet cleaner... lol

G

Thanks for your response, Lee. I can't say I completely disagree with you or a lot that has been posted here. I actually learned some valuable things in this thread. Some of the things I posted was tongue in cheek. :mrgreen:
And yes, you can always tell the ones who have recently attended a course.

So tell me, what should I have done? From start to finish please.

LeeCory

Well there might be a problem right off that you may not be able to get past. You probably don't have what you need to find the water or dry it or know when it is dry. But don't worry, many restoration professionals don't either... lol

Craig already answered in great detail exactly what you needed to do with this job in one of the first posts in this thread. I read what he wrote and it couldn't be written much better. That is all the info you need.

P.S. I know your favorite threads are those where people are arguing....lol

P.S.S I hope someone has a contest soon so I can win all the equipment I need for restoration. Where is Rich when you need him.

P.S.S.S Read Craigs first post again, he actually did answer your question very well.

LeeCory

Avaclean In a perfect world I think you are probably correct. I also think in a perfect world all the guys with 20 years experience should go and take the classes. When I went to WRT I never thought I would hear guys that have been doing this for a long time say they have been doing things all wrong the whole time.

I visited a large company in my area and they had a room full of 50 Dri-Eaz 1200's and not much else. Of course the guy said that he had been to the classes.

To be honest, I'm not sure anybody should be doing this work. Restoration guys can't agree on how to do things, and carpet cleaners can't agree on how to clean carpet.

G

LeeCory said:
Craig already answered in great detail exactly what you needed to do with this job in one of the first posts in this thread. I read what he wrote and it couldn't be written much better. That is all the info you need.

I was asking your opinion.

LeeCory said:
P.S. I know your favorite threads are those where people are arguing....lol

?
Why would you say that?

LeeCory said:
P.S.S I hope someone has a contest soon so I can win all the equipment I need for restoration. Where is Rich when you need him.

Why do you gotta be so mean? You wanna make me cry or what? :cry:

G

Check this out.

I did a quote today at an older couples home and when i got to the dining room to measure, they said that a year ago they had a small flood. They told me 'so&so' came out and extracted the water, "He sucked up about 100 gallons of water. It took about 5 days to dry."

I know the who the guy is that did the job and he uses a porti. They said he didn't lift the carpet, didn't set an air mover, no nothing, just sucked up some water and left. They also said the old man has felt sick ever since this happened. They are moving to another house and the place will be empty when it is to be cleaned.

Now, what would you do? Would you go ahead and clean the carpet? If so, would you note anything about it on the invoice? What would you note?

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Josh said:
Do you guys get urine jobs or what?

Let's say you get a call to clean some carpet in a residence. You get to the house and you notice a Rot or a Great Dane in the dog run. Wow, big dog!

Mrs. Piff answers the door and brings you into the foyer and she goes, "How much will you charge to clean my rugs?" You go, "Rugs? Don't you mean your carpet?" And she's all, "Yeah, my carpet." You ask her to show you the areas she wants cleaned and any areas that may need special attention. So she leads you down to the end of the hall and points to a problem area. She explains that he big dog just went pee a bunch right there.

What do you do?

"Oh, boy! Let's take up the carpet and replace the pad and cut out the drywall and remove the base board andsetanairmoverforaminimumof3daysandairscrubberandmoldinsuranceand......"

Thats an easy one Josh.

Tell Mrs.Piff your name is Craig and she dont know sh*t. Follow it up by telling her your better than everybody in the world and her house needs to be knocked down but not to worry you can build her a new house in one day by yourself.

If she has any questions just start bad mouthing any effort she tells you she made and follow up again with how good you are.

Just make sure Mrs.Piff understands you dont give a rats turd about what she tried to do with the carpet because your name is Craig and even if the foundation, floor joist, subFlooring, pad & carpet are brand spankin new you still could have done it better. :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom