Disclose Disclose and still not enough.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Just venting a bit.

Two weeks ago I did a job where once again the carpet was soaked in urine. I explained my pricing to the customer over the phone and told her (renter) I couldn’t give a firm price until I can actually see the carpet. She scheduled the job. I arrived and she tells me she has two (large) puppies that have been peeing everywhere and she can’t stand the smell anymore. She said they had tried to clean the carpet themselves with a rug doctor, but it didn’t work. I clicked on my UV light and sure enough, heavy residue and urine was hard to find because of Rug Doc smear.

After my inspection I gave her and the hubby my price. The both started crying saying they only had $200. They asked if I could only do the back bedroom and the front room. Ugh. I ended up doing the hall for free also. Anyway, I told them very clearly that since I could not find the odor and since they had cleaned it prior with a Rug Doc, and since they could not afford to have everything treated, I could in no way guarantee the removal of the urine odor. I must have told them this no less than 4 times.

Yesterday I got a call from the lady crying that the odor is still there. She said the places where I worked smelled better but she is still smelling something. She said her dogs have not peed in the house since my visit two weeks ago (yeah right). She wanted to know what I could do.

Normally I’m would just go back and do what I can, but I don’t think I’m going to do it this time. I was so damn clear with them and on top of it they chewed me down on my price. I reminded her that they did more damage with the rug doc making it next to impossible to target the spots. The only option is to replace the pad, seal the subfloor, and treat the backing of the carpet. She asked me if I could do this for her. At this point I am not about to do that.

This is my fault. I should have walked from this job or made them sign a waiver. I was mad I only did it for $200 and wasn’t allowed to go nuclear on it. I should not have compromised my service if they weren’t willing to pay the price.

Who knows. I may still go back and spray the entire place with RAW odor enzyme, but I don’t think I should since I was crystal clear.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I due respect to Mr Ladwig's advice, and his generous and kindly nature....I wouldn't go back.

I don't like to step into the same spider web twice Damon.

These are the same people that you said had the husband growling in the background that they only had a certain amount, right? My guess is that once you show up, they won't want to pay you anything, or not much.

This won't end well.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Yup.
I due respect to Mr Ladwig's advice, and his generous and kindly nature....I wouldn't go back.

I don't like to step into the same spider web twice Damon.

These are the same people that you said had the husband growling in the background that they only had a certain amount, right? My guess is that once you show up, they won't want to pay you anything, or not much.

This won't end well.
Yup, Same people.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Thank you for the feedback Jim. Can someone hook me up with a disclosure form? I should really have one for urine jobs like this where they don’t want to have it done right.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Fixed typos in OP. I wrote all that from my cell phone on the side of the road. I have fat fingers and auto correct isn’t very helpful either.

Mikey P

Administrator
Send them a link to a product that can use themselves and a link that you should have on your site for DYS'rs since you love to atract these people that gives step by step soak and shop vac extract method... and wish them luck.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

steve_64

Tell them it needs replacing and if they cause an issue give them their money back. It will be worth it.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Just venting a bit.

Two weeks ago I did a job where once again the carpet was soaked in urine. I explained my pricing to the customer over the phone and told her (renter) I couldn’t give a firm price until I can actually see the carpet. She scheduled the job. I arrived and she tells me she has two (large) puppies that have been peeing everywhere and she can’t stand the smell anymore. She said they had tried to clean the carpet themselves with a rug doctor, but it didn’t work. I clicked on my UV light and sure enough, heavy residue and urine was hard to find because of Rug Doc smear.

After my inspection I gave her and the hubby my price. The both started crying saying they only had $200. They asked if I could only do the back bedroom and the front room. Ugh. I ended up doing the hall for free also. Anyway, I told them very clearly that since I could not find the odor and since they had cleaned it prior with a Rug Doc, and since they could not afford to have everything treated, I could in no way guarantee the removal of the urine odor. I must have told them this no less than 4 times.

Yesterday I got a call from the lady crying that the odor is still there. She said the places where I worked smelled better but she is still smelling something. She said her dogs have not peed in the house since my visit two weeks ago (yeah right). She wanted to know what I could do.

Normally I’m would just go back and do what I can, but I don’t think I’m going to do it this time. I was so damn clear with them and on top of it they chewed me down on my price. I reminded her that they did more damage with the rug doc making it next to impossible to target the spots. The only option is to replace the pad, seal the subfloor, and treat the backing of the carpet. She asked me if I could do this for her. At this point I am not about to do that.

This is my fault. I should have walked from this job or made them sign a waiver. I was mad I only did it for $200 and wasn’t allowed to go nuclear on it. I should not have compromised my service if they weren’t willing to pay the price.

Who knows. I may still go back and spray the entire place with RAW odor enzyme, but I don’t think I should since I was crystal clear.

Tell her to get down on it and sniff and mark areas she’s smelling the urine and you’ll come back and treat those areas!

She’s gotta do the work of the black light or it’s a no go!

Reactions: Nomad74

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Quit talking and email back and forth. People hear what they want, at least if it's in print you can refer back to it.

I'd go back just because I wouldn't want a bad social media review. However I would explain any further calls will cost her $xx.00

In fact I would handle ALL urine work that way. Have a WORD document you send them and they verify that they aknowledge the limitations due to saturated materials and agree to services regardless.

Educate them on what they/You are up against. X ounces per day x weeks x years. Through no fault of yours or the products you use, the odor will always return on humid days. The only permanent odor removal goes beyond a little juice and will entail addressing all affected materials, removing those that are cheaper to replace than restore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Jeff T
I like Steve’s advice. Just go back, refund their $, and say, ‘I’m sorry I can’t help you’. Then turn and WALK AWAY. These are the type of people that will leave a very BAD REVIEW.....

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
All apartment dwellers are like this. When asked decline any more work from any residents.
In this day and age yes that online reviews matter so that is why I would go back and just spray deo.
Tell them to go to Petsmart and get some Nature's miracle

PEMBERTON IS WRONG!

THAT PASSIVE SISSY LIBERAL!

Reactions: SamIam
Name
Jeff T
Jim Pemberton, IS NEVER WRONG..... Damon, do you want these people to be the ones that leave that shyte review? Theone that makes people looking for a CC, see the review, and think, hmmm, this isn’t the cleaner for me?...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Yeah Jeff is right. Go back and buy them new carpet.

And double their money back that is only the right thing to do

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Jeff T
Yeah Jeff is right. Go back and buy them new carpet.
Has nothing to do with new carpet. Spraying deo won’t do fook all.... those dogs are going to keep pissing all day, everyday.... DAMON WILL BE BLAMED EVEYTIME IT HAPPENS.... IVE BEEN IN EXACTLY THIS SITUATION..... people are fooked , last ‘profFesional ‘ that touched it, takes all the blame... that’s the mentality of people like this.... it’s no win.... but, take Jimmys advice, and just go ‘mask it’....

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
theres a lot to be said for 1st impressions and gut instinct..

not always right but seldom wrong

unless you have more than 1 tinfoil hat and a 1st edition of catcher in the rye :shifty:

Reactions: Nomad74
Name
Jeff T
Better yet, go back, spray deo this coming week, wait for the phone call, go back, clean it again, wait for the phone call, go back, spray deo again, get a bad review, bend over backwards for them, spray deo again,wait for the phone call again...... REALLY? That’s the the advice? You guys keep doing shyte like this, ME? I’ll CUT THEM FOOKIN LOOSE, and move onto the big fish..... whatever.....

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Sounds to me like Raymond 74 needs to work on his disclosure skills, particularly the ones that end with said client signing a release of liability. And acknowledgment of seriously (spider monkey style) reduced expectation level.

Jim must have missed that part in his class or has Raymond not been paying attention? :winky:

Name
Jeff T
theres a lot to be said for 1st impressions and gut instinct..

not always right but seldom wrong

unless you have more than 1 tinfoil hat and a 1st edition of catcher in the rye :shifty:
I use tinfoil to BBQ fish, and on my nightstand is The Art Of War....

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Sounds to me like Raymond 74 needs to work on his disclosure skills, particularly the ones that end with said client signing a release of liability. And acknowledgment of seriously (spider monkey style) reduced expectation level.

Jim must have missed that part in his class or has Raymond not been paying attention? :winky:
I don’t need to work on my disclosure skills. I was crystal clear. You need to work on your spelling my name skills :) I can’t teach retards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom