Distributor what's more important, Price or service ?

Billy

Name
BH
What is more Important in a relationship with your Distributors or any Business relationship?

Price or Customer Service?

For me, since Equipment & Chemicals are IMO a very low part of the overall cost of doing business based on useful life of items, IMO Customer Service is the one most important when dealing with any business relationship. I also agree with the concept of putting more weight on my personal experience than others since others opinions can be biased for many reasons. Although, I do believe you can't ignore a obvious trend of others opinions being Negative.

What is more impressive to me than price is My distributor:

1. showing up at my wife's Fathers funeral to show respect & everyone in the store signing a card.

2. not talking to other cleaners about my personal/business relationship with them.

3. not requiring arbitrary agreements just to purchase from them.

4. standing behind the product 110% after the purchase, even when the manufacture doesn't stand behind their product.

5. being there for me even when business is slow.

6. Showing they care even when you aren't purchasing immediately.

7. The list goes on & on.

I realize price has to be a factor at some point but I don't understand why there are so many that consider Customer Service to be second to Price. We get asked often why people pay our prices... maybe it is because we emphasize service over price.

Billy

Name
BH
Ken Snow said:
Who ever said customer service is secondary?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Not me Ken I have always put service above price in all my dealings.

Billy

Name
BH
joeynbgky said:
Billy, who is your disty in nashville?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Joey my Distributor in Nashville is Interlink because all in all they have always helped me in the end no matter what the situation. Without Bridgepoint coming to town so many years ago I wouldn't be where I am. In particular Dave & Rob Hanks where very helpful in my early years. This isn't to say I have never had hard feelings towards Interlink though.

But I also have always said Until you have a problem you never truly know how good a companies Customer Service is.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Billy said:
joeynbgky said:
Billy, who is your disty in nashville?

Joey my Distributor in Nashville is Interlink because all in all they have always helped me in the end no matter what the situation. Without Bridgepoint coming to town so many years ago I wouldn't be where I am. In particular Dave & Rob Hanks where very helpful in my early years. This isn't to say I have never had hard feelings towards them Interlink though.

But I also have always said Until you have a problem you never truly know how good a companies Customer Service is.

You must not have signed up for Bridgepoint Direct

Billy

Name
BH
Chris Adkins said:
You must not have signed up for Bridgepoint Direct

Yes I have been apart of many of the Bridgepoint programs for many years & this is where I have had my most negative experiences. But as I said I look at the overall relationship & learn from that.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I have to have all my products mailed to me.

If they mail a day or 2 after ordering then price is important.

It's not like a service intense product where service is the product(like carpet cleaning)

If it's the same brand then the products are all the same.

So, price can make the difference. Sometimes the price difference is in the shipping.

But, how can you seperating price and service. They both should be 1st class.

Billy

Name
BH
Dave Yoakum said:

If I didn't separate Price from service it would be hypocritical of me since my company is largely run based on Quality & Service not price.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Billy, I have always found chris pond from the cleaners depot more knowledgeable

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Billy said:
Dave Yoakum said:

If I didn't separate Price from service it would be hypocritical of me since my company is largely run based on Quality & Service not price.

Billy,

Carpet cleaning is not a comodity. (and don't let your client think it is)It's all service.

My motto always has been," Live by low price, Die by low price."

Carpet cleaners can offer prices that are less than their profit.

Because, many haven't figured out that they are cutting their throats untill they go out of business

Carpet cleaning suppies. However, can often be a comodity and ditributers won't sell all their products for less than they paid for them.

Guess they are better business men that a lot of carpet cleaners.

Billy

Name
BH
Dave Yoakum said:
Billy said:
[quote="Dave Yoakum":1rt91dia]

Billy,

Carpet cleaning is not a comodity. (and don't let your client think it is)It's all service.

My motto always has been," Live by low price, Die by low price."

Carpet cleaners can offer prices that are less than their profit.

Because, many haven't figured out that they are cutting their throats untill they go out of business

Carpet cleaning suppies. However, can often be a comodity and ditributers won't sell all their products for less than they paid for them.

Guess they are better business men that a lot of carpet cleaners.[/quote:1rt91dia]

We always sale our service letting each client know you really can't always compare a service company the same way you can a product offered.

The exception is when I buy a product I usually also look at the possible after sale service for anything over a certain price.

Case in point AeroTech still goes the extra mile every-time I need help knowing I don't plan on buying another truck anytime soon. But when I am ready who will I consider first? AeroTech

Another case is my cell phone service has been with same company for over 20yrs & there have definitely been cheaper alternatives over the yrs. I stay with them because I am always taken care of in the long run.

I also don't look for cheapest price on fuel (although many times they are cheapest) because I prefer a certain station

All this adds up to I must price for profit or I will be forced to look at price first.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Billy,
Reasonable price and good service.

Many here seem to think it is a crime for distributor to make a profit. The very same people that if they stopped for a minute to think about it, will realize that their mark up is a lot more than their distributor. I guess it is a lot easier to accept when it is they who make that extra mark up.

If they don't have a local guy, than by all means buy from the cheapest source as long as they stand behind their products.

It used to be that when one was a beginner their local supplier was a good source for practical and business knowledge. These days you can get a lot on the boards. So smart distributors have to adjust and find new ways to make themselves valuable.

For me if a distributor will fix my machine in the weekend or after hours is super important. Many will not.
For me if a distributor will rent me a backup unit when mine breaks down will be a god send. Many will not.
A good one will take good care of their loyal clients before the ones that do not support them.

So, a smart distributor will either find way to cement their relationship with their clients or go the way of the dinosaur.

And the ones that do are worth whatever they make. They have earned it and will have customers for life. Unless of course they found the bdcc that only values the cheapest price. You just can't win them all.

Billy

Name
BH
joeynbgky said:
Billy, I have always found chris pond from the cleaners depot more knowledgeable

Joey I do agree Chris is very knowledgeable but I have known many very knowledgeable techs & for that matter cleaners in my yrs in this industry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom