Do any multi truck ops run water softeners?

Mikey P

Administrator
If so, who baby sits the truck once a week/every 50 hours, during the re gen process?

Can't imagine a biggins buying 50 Kineticos..

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I have seen window washer have 2 giant tank in shop filled with soft water for their truck tank using WFP maybe fleet TM does same for on board tanks.. but i seriously doubt that they would do this. I never see water softener in the truck of my peers..

Reactions: Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Yes for water Softener but for past year been testing and experimenting with how long we can go on the tank of water we carry.

We also run filters.

We have done some testing and even if have to add to the all ready soft water we are carrying from a client's place we are still seeing good soft / hardness numbers coming from our tank

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have a large unit that provides softwater for both in plant cleaning (fire clean up, rugs, upholstery) and filling of onboard storage tanks. Once a month the softener guy comes and refills the salt.

Reactions: Mikey P

steve_64

I’d look into this if I had hard water
But it’d probably just be another fad move
With no usefulness
Do you get lime or calcium scale at all at home? Do you have to clean your faucet screen or shower head once in awhile?

When I first moved in we did a little bit. Not since I installed the softner though.

We use less laundry and dishwasher detergent as well as shampoo and soap.

Reactions: Bob Savage

steve_64

I don’t know.
I’m married.
Lol. Do you have to clean your water filter in your cleanco?

I think I cleaned mine twice when I got my WM but the next few checks it was still clean. I checked it a few weeks ago because I was bored and it was spotless. First time I checked it in over 6 months.

I seriously have no water issues at all now. Not with my dishwasher fridge ice maker or anything.

We don't even get water rings on the counter if a puddle drys.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I think water softeners are a must have for many parts of the country.

Yes, we have sold large number of water softeners to franchise cleaners and multi-truck companies.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Tom Forsythe

Marty is right!! Alabama has some of the softest water in the United States, but a lot of other cleaners need to take notice. https://www.google.com/search?q=wat...AhUSyWMKHZvtCl8Q9QEIKTAA#imgrc=hmXacXBVZ1BKEM: We have previously attributed this photo to the Salt Institute. The google search shows more hard water related maps.

WaterHardnessMap.gif

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Water hardness from city is about 7 grains... Not too bad.

Tom Forsythe

The higher the heat of the truckmount gets you closer to vapor, the more the minerals want to separate from the water attaching to metals in your truckmount system. So 7 grains with high heat could act more like 10 grains. Water is soluble, vapor is not soluble. We get reports that high heat truckmounts are impacted more by minerals forming hard water than typical truckmounts. Of course an operator can choose when he needs high heat and turn it down when he does not need high heat.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The higher the heat of the truckmount gets you closer to vapor, the more the minerals want to separate from the water attaching to metals in your truckmount system. So 7 grains with high heat could act more like 10 grains. Water is soluble, vapor is not soluble. We get reports that high heat truckmounts are impacted more by minerals forming hard water than typical truckmounts. Of course an operator can choose when he needs high heat and turn it down when he does not need high heat.

Tom is so correct.

We noticed more scale build up problems when we got higher heat units.

I will Descale more often and we also run water Softener in shop and have in vans (one currently and not installed in other yet... If ever) but you need access to softened water and keep testing your soft water source in my opinion and experience

Reactions: DAT and J Scott W

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
ewww a window washer running WFP, hope its quick commercial work on the cheap

Seattle is very soft water, less than 70ppm

steve_64

My van came out of new Jersey and for a couple months the filter was full of crap. I descaled it a couple times and replaced all of the leaking controls.
That map shows jersey having good water

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I had Kenetico's on both trucks from 2007 to 2009, noticed no difference. Central PA has excellent water, in 42 years never descaled a truck mount.

Reactions: Lint Basket

Lint Basket

Name
Scott Mckay
Carpet Tech wash's their fleet, restocks inventory, and fill's with filtered water every night ready for the next day. ZeroRez does the same.

I tested the hardness at every location I filled when I carried the Deionized tanks on board. It is amazing how even a few miles away the water can be three times harder. My home reads 220 ppm TDS and my In-laws home 5 miles away reads over 600 ppm. I now exclusively fill at home.

I constantly test my water when I'm getting close to the end and switch out when the TDS climbs over 8 ppm. Once this goes past that point it spends the resin very quickly and can start releasing minerals back into the water (in my case iron which turns the water yellow and smells like rusty water). I have no idea what reactions happen when the resin of soft water is spent?

I wonder how many jobs get cleaned without soft water because everybody is going off gallons of use instead of actually testing when the resin is spent?

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
what a water fed pole for window washing? thats for quick and dirty commercial work only
French paned window too.. also for really awkward hillside windows that is really dangerous. It is also really good for home that regularly keep their window cleaned, like every 3 months. With that bronze wool to scrub, i think it is great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom