Do customers question you when you use a portable?

Josh Almanza

Name
Josh Almanza
What do guys say when your truckmount is down and getting serviced, but schedule is already full and show up at customers homes with a portable?

Name
Steve Lawrence
Fortunately we never have this problem because we have a back-up truck mount. Used it this week while a regular unit got repairs. Nice for overflow work, too. Yeah, I wouldn't want to bring a portable in if my customer is used to truck mount cleaning.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It can and does happen. Try to explain to them that you can do the same quality work but it is going to take a little longer and the carpets may take longer to dry. Bring some dryers with you to speed dry the carpet if you have any and just take your time and do it properly. This is where a crb can be your best friend.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
It can and does happen. Try to explain to them that you can do the same quality work but it is going to take a little longer and the carpets may take longer to dry. Bring some dryers with you to speed dry the carpet if you have any and just take your time and do it properly. This is where a crb can be your best friend.

yeah-- all what Ron said but also give them the option to reschedule if they wish.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt
Name
Nate W.
I don't have the luxury of having my TM go down... Depending on how long of hose runs and when they need it done by will justify using my portable... Just plan on working a lot harder with a portable..

I'm not the average portable user, I use a little giant heater and vac boosters to help followed by airpaths...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
You guys may not know this, but most people have had at least one terrible experience with truckmount cleaning.

They actually like the idea of me coming in and closing the door behind, then taking my time fussing over the carpet. Yesterday a lady said "The (big hose) guy was gone in less than two hours, didn't move any furniture and it didn't look nearly as good."

What you truckmount guys are used to is high production. I get it. But a portable back up can still return $50-90/hr if you are efficient and it can yield excellet results. You will feel the difference, but if you keep your mouth shut the customer won't know. Meanwhile, the meter keeps runnig while the tm is being fixed.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You guys may not know this, but most people have had at least one terrible experience with truckmount cleaning.

They actually like the idea of me coming in and closing the door behind, then taking my time fussing over the carpet. Yesterday a lady said "The (big hose) guy was gone in less than two hours, didn't move any furniture and it didn't look nearly as good."

What you truckmount guys are used to is high production. I get it. But a portable back up can still return $50-90/hr if you are efficient and it can yield excellet results. You will feel the difference, but if you keep your mouth shut the customer won't know. Meanwhile, the meter keeps runnig while the tm is being fixed.
yesterday I did 2 suites in a highrise condo building with my portable. $175 per hour.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
To me, it's always been horses for courses. :arrrr:

As Ron alluded to, I also service many high rise properties where my old truck mount would never be allowed to operate.

Due mainly to Fire Regulations & security, such as running hoses up the fire escape stairwell coupled with the fact that these buildings also do not have balconies nor opening windows.

In most cases, for carpet, I use my Cimex or Sprayborg.

If vomit, urine, etc; is the problem, then the porty comes into it's own.

Same goes for upholstery, most times I can achieve great results with either my Makita or Cyclo, otherwise, again, out comes the porty.

Each job, I base the equipment I use, on the problem, sometimes it must be a combination of equipment used.

PLUS, you MUST charge accordingly.

IF you KNOW what to do, and are prepared to spend the TIME to achieve great results, then there will always be two winners & grinners.

The client & you.

Then again, I bet many of the cc'ers over there have never been taught how to use a porty efficiently??

Or have even heard of the T.A.C.T. chart. :winky:

:yoda:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
What do guys say when your truckmount is down and getting serviced, but schedule is already full and show up at customers homes with a portable?

You are not obligated to say anything unless questioned.

If asked, explain that the only difference is that YOU are going to have to work a little harder, which you are glad to do so that they are not inconvenienced by you having to rescheduling, because that's just the great guy that you are.

Sell yourself and the whole experience, pet their mangy dog, and let the results speak for themselves.

steve_64

New customers often ask about how I clean. I think the padders have left a bad impression in my area.

How long to dry is usually the second question.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Dealing mainly with homes and not sky rises I would reschedule so I could do it with my truckmount. Takes too much time to drag in a portable and all of the BS involved. Using a portable means the blowby from the vac motors spews out not only too much moisture but if they had pets all of that bacteria and viruses into the air.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I've only had to break out the portable due to a breakdown once in 13 years, but I offered to reschedule my last job. They told me to go ahead and porty hack it.

I can't tell you how many people I get every week that ask me if I need a plug to plug in my machine. They assume for some reason I have a portable and they really don't seem to care how I clean the carpet. I think carpet cleaners make a bigger deal out of having a fire breathing truckmount than the customers do.

Ken692

Name
Kenny
Don't underestimate the power of the portable, on more than a few occasions I've been told that my results were better with my portable, and I'm not talking about Susie the cleaner, I'm talking about Stanley steamer. Don't know if it's customer perception or just somebody that hit-and-run, but I've been told on many occasions I showed better results, and have been called back many times. Of course I give props to the tutelage here at Mikey's board.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
It's the time savings with a TM. Being a one man operation you have to be efficient.

True, but efficient TM operation is being unfairly compared to likely INEFFICIENT portable equipment operation.

If anything, efficiently deploying a porty is more challenging than a TM to most.

Anyone who rarely breaks out their porty is likely to be very inefficient with them for many reasons.

Vehicle is not set up for it.

Rusty porty skilzz, if you ever had them to begin with.

Uncontrollable thoughts of Chavez laughing at you.

Too often the equipment takes the negative heat from the inability to operate it efficiently.

It's not always the portys fault.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I've seen the over zealous porty users that have every gizmo hooked up to compare to the performance of a TM. Hooking up boosters and heaters , filters etc miles of electrical cords. All of that to approach the entry level of a 33 blowered TM. And just like the VLM'ers who defend what they are doing they are just in denial.

Reactions: hogjowl

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I've seen the over zealous porty users that have every gizmo hooked up to compare to the performance of a TM. Hooking up boosters and heaters , filters etc miles of electrical cords. All of that to approach the entry level of a 33 blowered TM. And just like the VLM'ers who defend what they are doing they are just in denial.

What IDIOT would do that?:headscratch:

Back
Top Bottom