Do glides really dry the carpet faster??

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have given Greenie lots of money and love everything I have from him. I couldn't move my 2.5" Vortex without a glide, but I will tell you the truth, I don't think glides dry the carpet one min. faster than normal. I hear all the talk, I have run glided and non glided side by side and can't tell the diff. in drying.

We have always had a dry when we leave policy. Lots of fans, cotton when needed and big super suckers. Please explain how the glide dries faster?

Don't get me wrong, I will never clean without them but that is to save my back not to dry the carpet faster. I told Greenie yesterday on the phone I would stop cleaning if I can't get glides. They are the best but I don't see the drying being any better.

Please explain?

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Higher heat drys faster. My dry times rock because I have killer heat. Something your machine is struggling with.

Golden Boy

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Glides, I asked about glides.

I have several burn scares from my Vortex heat. I don't want anymore heat. I have more heat than I need, 240 is plenty.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Like I said, no way I can run my 2.5" vortex without one. But, if you run side by side and make the same passes I don't think the glide will dry faster.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have always said that the best reason to buy a glide is not because you think it may make the carpet dry faster, doesn't really matter if it does or does not

the other benefits outweigh the dry time factor

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
there are lots of factors to consider when it comes to dry times and glides:

1. First and foremost, the size of the power-plant. The bigger and more powerful the suck on the machine the less glides make a difference in dry times. Conversely, the MORE difference they make in ease of use. SO a guy with a porty and a hole glide will notice a huge difference in dry time between a glided and unglided wand, a guy with a V will notice nearly none, unless you account for it being easier to do more dry passes.

2. The configuration of the glide. Holes dry fastest, then hybrid, then slot. AGAIN, the smaller the machine, the more difference you will notice, there will be a difference of hours in a small porty, differences will be virtually undetectable in big machines.

Since Adam runs a V with all the performance pimps I would not expect him to notice much difference in dry time between a glided and unglided wand, his main benefits will be ease of use and protection of hard floors, baseboards, furnishings, etc.

But when you have a small TM or porty, the differences in dry times can be astounding. It is not THAT hard to push the wand for this customer, he is most interested in improving dry times.

Adam, if you have an old porty, or maybe a small detail machine, hook your hole glide up to it and then run glide-less and compare your dry times. Then you will see what I'm saying.

If you want i can explain Bernoulli's principle, Venturi Effect, and use tornadoes as an illustration of the way a glide works, but it's kind of boring and dry. let me know.

Take care,
Lisa

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Lisa,

That is what I was looking for, I bought my first glide when I bought my Vortex. I have never ran them on anything else except on a few small rentals and dry times were never checked. I also have only ran slotted glides. I never have had holed glides.

Thank You

Mikey P

Administrator
2.5 and you run Slots?

Red-Sky-at-NightB.jpg

Greenie

damn......Adam get's the He-Man award!

That's one of request that usually follows a 2.5" hose upgrade....send me a hole glide now!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"I have run glided and non glided side by side and can't tell the diff. in drying."

My side by side tests on cut piles were the same, Adam.

Not a dimes worth of difference in "complete" dry times with slot or hole glide.
When first felt, it seems clear that the hole side was drier.
After 15 minutes, you couldn't tell the difference in either side

I don't have a mega blower.
Just a 45 spinning at 3000 to 3100 rpm

..L.T.A.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I have run some scientific side-by-side tests on wet carpet. The blower was a #4MP @16" hg driven by 31 HP:

http://www.i-boards.com/ics/messages.asp?MsgID=665816&ThreadID=68997#665816

The results showed the hybrid and the hole glide did remove more water. It was not a huge difference. The carpets were soaked and weighed, so that may have affected the results.

Larry Cobb
Mikey Board Supporting Member

The Preacher

i agree that with the ease of using a glide that more dry passes being made helps with dry time.

i've only used slots and hybrids, but would like a hole glide for my PMF 2 jet. i run a 36 blower and get very good dry times as a small APO tank makes lots of suck compared to a big waste tank!!!

Rex Tyus

Describe this "properly engineered" wand. Does it have an 1.5" inch shaft so as to choke off the air flow of what would be a good blower, and a 16" head to crest over any bump on a c g d. Or am I thinking of another? :p

Rex

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Why Rex do you always believe the promotional BB salesmen who hawk their wares on all the internet BB's?

Castex does make smaller widths if you would only check out Jon-Don.

The narrower width of the gap promotes higher acceleration of air thru the opening increasing CFMs.

And have you ever considered that those $900 wands choke off airflow at the head when using a piece of plastic?

You really have to think on your own and make your own conclusion instead of just believing everything posted as the truth.

Greenie

narrower slot increases lift at the fiber and reduces cfms.

Rex already has a "smart" wand, you are preaching to the choir.

G

Adam, the answers you get to your question are all subjective... and it will never yield a true.. 'in concrete' answer.

'it all just depends'..

for instance.. i get the same dry times.. now .. as I did before I went glided.. about 2 hours..

BUT>.. BUT..there's always a but...

BUT now I use 2x the water.. and thats more flow.. more water recovered.. more flushing.. and thus, IMO>. a better clean. That fact.. along with the ease of wand movement, is why I went glided..

So while I get the same dry time.. I feel my cleaning is better.

But just straight up.. I would say that glides provide a little faster dry time. Maybe 15-20 minutes..

But as I said in an earlier post.. if the custies are gone to work, etc.. it really matters not.. if you clean in the AM.. its dry by noon.. and they return home at 4 -5:30 PM..

Rex Tyus

Jimmy,

I don't automatically believe all the hype on the B B'S. I am however open to change. I am not close minded.

I am familiar with the 12" headed castex wand, it is a favorite of several janitors I know that use portables. As well as the in house staff I managed years ago at WAL-MART. If this is the "properly engineered wand" you speak of I respectfully suggest you need to get out more broaden your horizons try something new. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Greenie has addressed the c f m and $900 wand question I would only add CUBIC FEET per minute is as much about VOLUME as speed. I think the term you could be searching for is " slot velocity" coined by Bill Bane.

When it comes to "thinking on my own " I sincerely appreciate your concern for me, but rest assured I not only think, I actually field test any change in equipment or technique before I post about it or especially before I introduce something into a client's home. Before ever seriously considering modifying my truck mount I call the guys at cleanco. Thus far anything Greenie has suggested to me personally to consider cleanco has had NO objections.

Respectfully,

Rex

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I get about a 20% better dry time with my slot glide, my machine runs a 3-6 blower, carpets that would take 5hrs take 4now. part of the reason I think it works better is because the edges of the glide leak slightly allowing more airflow at the wand head instead of bleeding the air out of the system at my spring vac relief

A

anspach

I don't have fire-breathing heat (just a bane) - get great dry times with a glide - saves my back too! Been using the glide for about a year maybe a little longer - seem to get more referrals due to getting carpets drier.

This is just in my testing,

Cleaning commercial carpet @ 400 psi with-out a glide I was getting an average of 3hr dry times. With a glide it's now about 45 min. You have to also take into consideration that I run high lift that caused the wand (no glide) to seal(lock down) on commercial carpet and I use a lot of water with no extra dry passes..

On residential with-out a glide and 400 psi, I averaged 3 to 4 hour dry times. With a glide now it's 1 to 2 hour. Again I use lots of water with no extra dry passes.

Dry times were never an issue with our cleaning before glides.

Greenie

the psi is a reference point, but since i know Harley uses a 2 jet wand, I'm gonna guess he was running a pair of 03 flow jets.

With that kinda heat, I'm willing to bet a flow increase would yield just as dry of carpet, but clean a little faster, and get that scorchin' hot water to the rug faster.

S

SmcKay

For a while my second wand did not have a glide. I always thought my help just sucked especially one day at a hotel. My carpet I cleaned was so much cleaner in appearance, So we traded. The results were the same.

That was the last day I ever went glide less. It kills me to run into friends in my town that still don't run glides. It's not a SAVE YOUR BACK or FASTER DRY TIMES it flat out cleans better.

To flush carpet at high volumes of water you need violent fast moving air to pick all that is being flushed out rapidly. Without a glide you can still pull air and get amazing dry times with a 6008 blower, perhaps even close to the same?

The genius of Greenie is the shape allows so much more air flow Through the carpet so even slot glides will out perform metal lips. The real kicker is with the holes. when air is pulled Through small holes at such a high volume all that air has to speed up in order to get Through which creates violent hurricane like speeds. That's what we need to flush carpet and I really believe in having at least a 59 blower and no less than 68 for dual wanding.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom