Do people actually fall for this?

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by Radar Foster, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Papa John
    Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member

Name:
    John Stewart

So Fred- how do you protect yourself from this?
    Receiving cash can also be dangerous.
  2. FredC
    FredC

Village Idiot

Name:
    Fred Cordell
    Well I'd be less concerned taking a cashiers check from somebody local or that I could otherwise verify and I wouldn't deal with any "but that won't be a problem people" meaning they can't meet because military, out of state, vaca etc buying sight unseen

and from the linked article:

Tips for Avoiding Cashier’s Check Fraud
    • Try to know the people with whom you do business. When possible, verify information about the buyer from an independent third party such as a telephone directory. Be cautious about accepting checks—even a cashier’s check—from people that you do not know, especially since it may be difficult to pursue a remedy if the transaction goes wrong.

• When you use the Internet to sell goods or services, consider other options such as escrow services or online payment systems rather than payment by a cashier’s check.

• If you do accept a cashier’s check for payment, never accept a check for more than your selling price if you are expected to pay the excess to someone else. Ask yourself why the buyer would be willing to trust you, who may be a perfect stranger, with funds that properly belong to a third party.

• A cashier’s check is less risky than other types of checks only if the item is genuine. If you can, ask for a cashier’s check drawn on a bank with a branch in your area.

• If you want to find out whether a check is genuine, call or visit the bank on which the check is written. That bank will be in a better position to tell you whether the check is one they issued and is genuine.

• Know the difference between funds being available for withdrawal from your account and a check having finally cleared. Your bank may be required by law to make funds available to you even if the check has not yet cleared. However, it could take several weeks to know if the check will clear or not.
    Act with Caution
    • Be wary of taking action before you can be sure that the payment you received is good.

• Be suspicious if someone insists that you send funds by wire transfer or otherwise pressures you to act quickly before you know the payment you received is good.

• If you receive a letter offering you a large sum of money for little effort other than sending a "processing" fee, remember: if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• Reject any offer that asks you to pay for a "prize" or "gift."

• Save your documents—you may need this paperwork if something goes wrong.
  3. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Anyone who wants to send the check in any fashion besides USPS is a scammer. That includes courier, UPS and Fedex.

Mail fraud can be prosecuted, the others are safe for a scammer.
  4. Goomer
    Goomer

Name:
    Frank Mendo
    Yup

I went far enough once to have them mail me a check.

It was delivered from a location inside the US in an large priority mail envelope a couple days later .

Basically a bogus check printed on check stock.

Exactly, the scam requires them paying an overage, which you would have found out if you corresponded further.

They usually claim that the overage in the amount was in error, or it included the shippers fees also, which they will then request back from you via Western Union or some other untraceable method, of couse ASAP, with the hopes that you get it to them before the check makes it to the bank and is exposed as fraudulent, which can be ? days.

Their grammar and use of the English language always crack me up.
  5. Radar Foster
    Radar Foster

Mr Personality

Name:
    Fred Boyle
    Hopefully for any victim, the loss is not too much

I can't help but believe that you are far too naive if you fall for such a weak scam

It's a life lesson in the form of a stupid tax

Long time ago my crew and I were on a large job and some guy with a cigarette burn on his face walked into the building.

He went on and on talking fast about how his tractor trailer broke down on the highway and he needed $41 to get it out of impound cause the cops towed it. He had a phony check with him that he scribbled a few thousand dollars payable to him and that if I gave him the $41 He would give me half the money.

The details went on and on and he sweetened the offer by $500 and ultimately offered to endorse the check over to me if I gave him the $41

I reached in my pocket , gave him $2 for the entertainment and asked if he was parked out front or out back ?

Guy got in his beat up shit box and drove away... so much for being ' stranded with a broken down rig'

This guy couldn't have been out of prison for more than a week and I'm sure was heading back before he spent my $2

Full disclosure... I was only braver enough to be snarky cause one of the guys working with me was built like Crowley
  6. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    You can’t help yourself
  7. Radar Foster
    Radar Foster

Mr Personality

Name:
    Fred Boyle
    GFY

Damn... I proved your point
    Lee Stockwell and sOOper hero like this.