Do you try to get out EVERY spot/stain??? Interesting comments by new client.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
As part of our job I feel we should try on everything. If I think it's going to be better or not, we still try. For the second time in two weeks I've been to a new clients home who commented about previous cleanings/cleaners.

Apparently, cleaning the riser(stairs) in optional... As is attempting stain removal.

No lie, 1" silly putty stain in playroom and a pop/soda spill under the edge of bed/night stand. Night stand not moved, pop stain not even attempted. All I did to remove it was move the fooking night stand and try! The silly putty took 30 seconds with larrys stain solve and looked perfect.

Client was quite frustrated when told the silly putty took 30 seconds, meaning previous cleaner didn't try. Two guys in and out, 5 rooms, long hall, 15 stairs and done in and out in an hour. Also crappy job at family car dealership.

The other client basically had to go around at point out spots she wanted them to try again on. They came out right before her eyes... Meaning they didn't try.

Try on everything, even if you know it not coming out! The next guy might make you look like an arse(with very little effort).

Largest national franchise did the work. Two different areas(not same owner) - meaning they both suck and it's common.

EDS

Name
Ed
At what point do you charge extra? I have gone in after painters and OMG. Do you do pre and post inspections with client? I always like the person who pays do the post inspection.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
It never hurts to ask if someone has ever hired a professional cleaner and what kind of experience he or she had.

I hear variations of "they were in and out in one hour" and "it went okay, I guess." As a broke dick porty hack, I am slow. So, I wear my utility belt with the usual spotters and just go for them as part of the service.

Then I go home to a delicious supper and warm welcome.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
As part of our job I feel we should try on everything. If I think it's going to be better or not, we still try. For the second time in two weeks I've been to a new clients home who commented about previous cleanings/cleaners.

Apparently, cleaning the riser(stairs) in optional... As is attempting stain removal.

No lie, 1" silly putty stain in playroom and a pop/soda spill under the edge of bed/night stand. Night stand not moved, pop stain not even attempted. All I did to remove it was move the fooking night stand and try! The silly putty took 30 seconds with larrys stain solve and looked perfect.

Client was quite frustrated when told the silly putty took 30 seconds, meaning previous cleaner didn't try. Two guys in and out, 5 rooms, long hall, 15 stairs and done in and out in an hour. Also crappy job at family car dealership.

The other client basically had to go around at point out spots she wanted them to try again on. They came out right before her eyes... Meaning they didn't try.

Try on everything, even if you know it not coming out! The next guy might make you look like an arse(with very little effort).

Largest national franchise did the work. Two different areas(not same owner) - meaning they both suck and it's common.
I have worked for large franchises before and that was one of the most frustrating things I would come across. These franchises spent a lot of money teaching their techs how to sell but none on spot and stain removal techniques or products. The first one I ever worked for in Calgary taught us to make sure the lady was watching, use a little deodorizer (bano) scrub the stain, then look up at the lady and say "sorry it won't come out" That was one of my motivations to start my own business, so I could have control over my products and skills. The company that just referred me to one of their customers for blood stain removal is a large national franchise.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
At what point do you charge extra? I have gone in after painters and OMG.

I'll do as much as I can for them. But yea, if it's a cluster fook and paint gone is their goal I will charge extra for that room.

I always like the person who pays do the post inspection.
I agree, Mrs smith would you mind looking around before I turn the tm down.

Effort, baby.

That's all it is, Russ. I'm no spotting guru... They didn't even try!
Black piece of lint on a white carpet. You can go over it 10 times with the wand or just reach down and pick it up. I want the second person.

Not doing the riser? Come on... This stuff makes us all look bad.

steve_64

I try and clean shadows I'm so anal about it lol.

But yes Jerry I watch my wand close as I'm going over the carpet and on dry strokes. I try and get the nap up where it's crushed and things like that too.

I hear about the franchises too.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Spotting chemicals have improved dramatically in the last couple of years.

Many chemical mfgs have not kept up.

As Jerry mentioned, you have to make the effort to get results.

At our spotting classes, customers bring all their favorite spotters;

& we always discover new ideas & techniques for spot removal.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
As a true professional we don't try to make the last cleaner look bad.

Nope we don't try...WE MAKE them look bad by doing it better! :icon_twisted:

Proficient at our craft
Attention to detail
Responsive customer service

Sure you could hold back and be the nice guy or
you can skool them and let them know who daddy is!
:winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I NEVER discuss companies, only practises. I should have stipulated that.

I totally agree.

As soon as she found out the silly putty was gone in 30 seconds and other place said it wouldn't come out. The lack of effort was proved, she gets "it".

After telling her the pop stain just rinsed out with nothing "special", the point was proved again.

Unacceptable when people are paying for this crap.

Name
Nate W.
As a true professional we don't try to make the last cleaner look bad.

Nope we don't try...WE MAKE them look bad by doing it better! :icon_twisted:

Proficient at our craft
Attention to detail
Response customer service

Sure you could hold back and be the nice guy or
you can skool them and let them know who daddy is!
:winky:

May the bridge you burn, light the way.....

:clap:

I've been told the IICRC has struck a deal with Cracker Jacks... They're giving out patches in every box...:shifty:

Reactions: EDS and Cleanworks

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
great thread!! we just discussed this, this week as a crew. But. I blame the CLIENT. That's right, now ill tell you why. Over the past 5-10 years especially, the client has moved to making their decisions solely on price. That makes businesses (most but not all) desperate. What you then get is a steady downward spiral toward the toilet (with price and quality) . SO, basically the only way to make money is in-out splash and dash.
Now, that doesn't let us off the hook, but it sure puts us in a sticky spot sometimes. Just saying! We have stuck to our guns with price and its just now beginning to pay off. It was tough sometimes, and we had several conversations about getting "in the gutter' with the rest of the groupon-valpak-marriage mail types. But we decided not to.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
20170318_143830.jpg
May the bridge you burn, light the way.....

:clap:

I've been told the IICRC has struck a deal with Cracker Jacks... They're giving out patches in every box...:shifty:
#286 baby! No patches required! :cool:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
great thread!! we just discussed this, this week as a crew. But. I blame the CLIENT. That's right, now ill tell you why. Over the past 5-10 years especially, the client has moved to making their decisions solely on price. That makes businesses (most but not all) desperate. What you then get is a steady downward spiral toward the toilet (with price and quality) . SO, basically the only way to make money is in-out splash and dash.
Now, that doesn't let us off the hook, but it sure puts us in a sticky spot sometimes. Just saying! We have stuck to our guns with price and its just now beginning to pay off. It was tough sometimes, and we had several conversations about getting "in the gutter' with the rest of the groupon-valpak-marriage mail types. But we decided not to.
The reason that potential clients revolve around price is because that's all they know about carpet cleaning. You have to educate your clients about what a carpet cleaning job entails. This means don't advertise your prices because there is always someone cheaper than you. Advertise your quality, experience,equipment,certification(like John just got) most important, the benefits to the customer. Such as your carpets are cleaner,fresher,will last longer,dry faster,no harmful chemicals or residue. Many people have had bad experiences with carpet cleaners. Capitalize on that. Let people know that there's a difference between someone who charges $7.99 per room and someone who charges $60 per room. Low ball guys aren't your competition. Unless you're one of them.

Name
Jeff T
It never hurts to ask if someone has ever hired a professional cleaner and what kind of experience he or she had.

I hear variations of "they were in and out in one hour" and "it went okay, I guess." As a broke dick porty hack, I am slow. So, I wear my utility belt with the usual spotters and just go for them as part of the service.

Then I go home to a delicious supper and warm welcome.
Ya know Steven, I have an OLD Cleanco direct drive sitting in my shop, if you figure out shipping, you can have it for FREE........ In thanks for the sage advice, and GREAT stories....... Not even kidding........

Name
Jeff T
I'll do as much as I can for them. But yea, if it's a cluster fook and paint gone is their goal I will charge extra for that room.

I agree, Mrs smith would you mind looking around before I turn the tm down.

That's all it is, Russ. I'm no spotting guru... They didn't even try!
Black piece of lint on a white carpet. You can go over it 10 times with the wand or just reach down and pick it up. I want the second person.

Not doing the riser? Come on... This stuff makes us all look bad.
It's the guys who use a full size on stairs..... You know who you are.... The one of the guys who showed me how to clean, used one. I remember the first time I was like 'what the fook?' That doesn't seem right.... It looked awkward as shyte...... I think I've only done 2-3 sets on stairs in my career with a standard wand...and I still feel like I've cheated those people........

Name
Nate W.
It's the guys who use a full size on stairs..... You know who you are.... The one of the guys who showed me how to clean, used one. I remember the first time I was like 'what the fook?' That doesn't seem right.... It looked awkward as shyte...... I think I've only done 2-3 sets on stairs in my career with a standard wand...and I still feel like I've cheated those people........

In my cleaning career, I've only seen Mikey use his full sized PCTI wand on stairs....(Maybe I don't get out as much as you guys or socialize with other local cleaners) When I seen that, I tried it myself... Now I have a shortened PCTI wand for stairs... Forget the small PC stair tool, or the PMF 40" straight stair wands... Or I'll use the RV360i with the stair head... When you agitated the stairs well, a glided wand makes short work of it...

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Ya know Steven, I have an OLD Cleanco direct drive sitting in my shop, if you figure out shipping, you can have it for FREE........ In thanks for the sage advice, and GREAT stories....... Not even kidding........

Wow. Thanks! But Jeff, I use my van to take my mother in law to see the family in Georgia, so I have to be able to empty it from time to time. Maybe if you find an enterprising protege' and stake him to a good start? But again, sincerely, thanks for the kind words and offer.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It's possible to do a good job on stairs with a full size wand, even the risers but you are going to tear your rotator cuff if you do it all the time. A proper stair tool will let you do a better job with less stress on your body

Reactions: vibra-vacster

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
It's possible to do a good job on stairs with a full size wand, even the risers but you are going to tear your rotator cuff if you do it all the time.

100% correct, the torque of the wand pulling down is a shoulder killer. Basically rips it apart, will take months to heal.

A pcti does a great job on stairs(if done right). Lot more flushing from wand and much faster. It comes at a cost(pain!)...

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
My wife tries on everything.
That's why I dont go shopping with her!

You are nuts if you went more than once(w/wife)!

Used to enjoy shopping, now everybody is just in the way, taking too long or just dumb...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom